Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #1
mek501st

Default Sports Photos are posted SOO FAST!!

hello POTN,
Sorry if the title is a bit confusing and if this question has already been answered. After watching the Euro 2012, and the match ending like a minute, the photos have already been upload to lets say Getty Images. I wonder what tools do these professionals use and do they do any Post processing at all?

Thank you!
mek501st is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #2
MadlyAlive

Default Re: Sports Photos are posted SOO FAST!!

I am not a Pro in those situations but I remember reading (or seeing a video somewhere) that they have staff onsite for a lot of games and the photographers will hand off their memory cards to them for upload to their agencies.
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #3
xchangx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
I am not a Pro in those situations but I remember reading (or seeing a video somewhere) that they have staff onsite for a lot of games and the photographers will hand off their memory cards to them for upload to their agencies.
Depends on hos big the game is. The large LARGE games (World cup, Superbowl, etc) will have editors on standby and card runners to transmit pictures.

However in the real world, we do it. Usually during halftime, but if there's a team of photographers there one may shoot a quarter and then go in and transmit while the other is still out there.
My Website
xchangx is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #4
whiteflyer

Many have tethered laptops pitch-side and upload as the match goes on using Photomechanic for key-wording and caption writing.
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #5
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

The wire service and photo agency setup for a major event is far more elaborate than any hobbyist will ever experience. Often these organizations will set up their own computer networks with links that go directly to each camera. Every image will be carried from the camera to a photo editor who will look at the image and decide if the image will be sent to the organization's members an subscriber. Photo editors also decide how an image will be processed. For other events, major organizations assign "runners" to take memory cards directly from photographers and deliver them to photo editors. Photographers never handle their images. The editors do that work in the editing rooms under the stands. Thousands of images must be reviewed in short order.

There is no time to waste at a major event, and the images must be in the hands of clients long before the event is over. This is business and not high art. Even an hour's delay is far, far too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek501st View Post
hello POTN,
Sorry if the title is a bit confusing and if this question has already been answered. After watching the Euro 2012, and the match ending like a minute, the photos have already been upload to lets say Getty Images. I wonder what tools do these professionals use and do they do any Post processing at all?

Thank you!
DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #6
Cozmocha

Some companies have proprietary software that when the shooter puts the card in his computer it puts the photos in the system and a photo editor on the other side of the country will view / edit the photos. This is useful for events like golf and racing when it will take too long to get the files to an on site editor. I have seen guys shooting golf that carry a small computer with an internet card transmitting photos walking from the tee to the green.

Getty was pushing about 300 photos up per game for the NBA finals when the buzzer hit zero then ended up with around 1,000 later on at night.

I remember getty piping a LAN line under a road for the the royal wedding.

Or if you need them THAT fast...
Quote:
The Times newspaper took a huge gamble when it decided to push the technological envelope to cover the event. “We got this new piece of software that enabled us to transmit the picture straight to a live gallery on the website, bypassing the picture desk completely and publishing the images within 30 seconds of them being taken,” explains Paul Sanders, Picture Editor of The Times.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...yal_wedding.do
Cozmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #7
Biffbradford
Goldmember

Very interesting thread! I imagine the upcoming Olympics have the latest and greatest ... would be interesting to hear how they handle images.
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #8
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffbradford View Post
Very interesting thread! I imagine the upcoming Olympics have the latest and greatest ... would be interesting to hear how they handle images.
I imagine a great many bodies will be sporting one of these!
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #9
Cozmocha

Wifi is somewhat unreliable. Since the new cameras have a ethernet port I see what being the way to go. I wonder if they will try wifi for the underwater swimming remotes tho.
Cozmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #10
ajaffe

The standard is proprietary software/photo mechanic/toning software during halftime and after full time. Some set up a laptop and caption transmit as the game is going on.
ajaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #11
RickyH

People can debate whether it's a sport or not, but I have been to WWE events in the past and have seen that they have "runners" pick up cards after each TV segment. I always assumed they were taking screen caps from their show for their site, but I was proven wrong.

Equipment: Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Canon 430 Speedlite.
RickyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #12
mobei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmocha View Post
Wifi is somewhat unreliable. Since the new cameras have a ethernet port I see what being the way to go. I wonder if they will try wifi for the underwater swimming remotes tho.
WiFi doesn't play well in water
mobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #13
gromeo

This article may shed some answers at least for some water sports. http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-11678-12690
http://www.sportsshooter.com/rguzman
gromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2012 (Mon)   #14
mek501st

Thank you everyone for the replies!
mek501st is offline   Reply With Quote