Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 02 Jul 2012 (Monday) 00:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

help me with my lens wish list.

crb
71 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 00:06 |  #1

Current setup is s T3i with 18-135 lens. I like to shoot about everything wildlife, family, portraits, kids sports, landscape, zoo/vacations, lots of general family photography.
Help me build an equipment setup to suit my needs, please. I will probably upgrade to FF in the future, not for at least a year or more or ti don't mind spending the money on quality equipment. I was considering 24-105, but not sure it will be effective on my
crop camera.

I don't mind a little overlap in coverage.
My current wish list:
1. Canon 50mm
2. Canon 24-105 (better option?)
3. Canon 10-22
4. Longer telephoto lens. X-350ish maybe 250?

Also trying to decide on which flash I should buy leaning 580.

I know there are a ton of these threads, but this one is different. It's mine. :)

I really do appreciate all advice as this is newest challenge. I tend to think through these things a lot and ask tons of questions.

CRB's Flickrexternal link
Canon T3i
Canon 15-85
Canon 55-250

sponsored links
lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Brisbane, AU
Jul 02, 2012 00:10 |  #2

I like the 24-105 because it is so versatile. It is a great lens, maybe go into a shop and try one.

You have to remember most things can be on sold pretty easily without to much loss if you dont like it.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeekexternal link

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
Jul 02, 2012 00:28 as a reply to lancebroad's post |  #3

EF-S 55-250IS would be good( and cheap) for zoo/wildlife/some sports, and be a great partner to your 18-135. If not, the EF 70-200 f/4L IS would be even better (but smaller range), but >5x the price.

Kel
Gear

crb
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 00:33 |  #4

Price isn't a huge concern especially if it will stay with me when I upgrade. I look at lens as an investment, they seem to hold their value well. Photography makes me happy.

Canon T3i
Canon 15-85
Canon 55-250

rixtix
33 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Miami
Jul 02, 2012 00:52 |  #5

If you have no plans to move to a full frame camera then I would recommend that you get the EFs-15-85 in lieu of the 24-105, add the Tamron 70-300 VC it is better than any Canon that is not a L if you need wider the 10-22. Of course you could swap the 15-85 for 17-55 f2.8 and get the best zoom for indoor shots. Just my thoughts

Canon EOS T4i. EFS 15-85, Tamron 10-24, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 100 f/2.8 USM
No Deity Can Save Us, We Can Only Save Ourselves

NBEast
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Jul 02, 2012 01:23 as a reply to crb's post |  #6

I shoot about the same stuff. With my choice of 11 or 12 L-caliber lenses on a 7D or 5Dii body, I find that EF 24-105 f4.0L + 70-200 f4L (non IS) are practically all I use. For soccer; 1.4 TC brings the effective tele up to 450mm (with 1.6 crop). Great combo.

I have the advantage of FF - turning the 24-105 into a decent landscape lens (not great but passable). 24mm is also great for parties and events and f4.0 keeps it all in focus.

Prime shooting - it is nice having the 135 f2.0L for really luscious bokeh and generally bringing it up a notch at the expense of forfeitting anything wide. The 85 f1.8 is my go-to lens for pro looking portraits. 35mm is a fun street-photography length on a crop camera. 50mm ... just not for me.

To me; prime shooting is purely to satisfy that artsy side to shooting. Zooms are work-horses that offer 95% of a prime's IQ of the same length and 80% of the prime's beauty. With the possible exception of the 70-200 f4.0L at 200mm ... that baby brings in some very creative shots with beautiful boekh and amazing IQ!

Most of my shooting is just work-horse style ... I just want decent shots of what's happening without getting all perfection-crazy. So; these 2 zooms cover nearly everything - it's just a question of crop or FF. Somehow; I suspect yours is similar.

Gear List / Photosexternal link

crb
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 01:55 |  #7

NBEast wrote in post #14659097external link
I shoot about the same stuff. With my choice of 11 or 12 L-caliber lenses on a 7D or 5Dii body, I find that EF 24-105 f4.0L + 70-200 f4L (non IS) are practically all I use. For soccer; 1.4 TC brings the effective tele up to 450mm (with 1.6 crop). Great combo.

I have the advantage of FF - turning the 24-105 into a decent landscape lens (not great but passable). 24mm is also great for parties and events and f4.0 keeps it all in focus.

Prime shooting - it is nice having the 135 f2.0L for really luscious bokeh and generally bringing it up a notch at the expense of forfeitting anything wide. The 85 f1.8 is my go-to lens for pro looking portraits. 35mm is a fun street-photography length on a crop camera. 50mm ... just not for me.

To me; prime shooting is purely to satisfy that artsy side to shooting. Zooms are work-horses that offer 95% of a prime's IQ of the same length and 80% of the prime's beauty. With the possible exception of the 70-200 f4.0L at 200mm ... that baby brings in some very creative shots with beautiful boekh and amazing IQ!

Most of my shooting is just work-horse style ... I just want decent shots of what's happening without getting all perfection-crazy. So; these 2 zooms cover nearly everything - it's just a question of crop or FF. Somehow; I suspect yours is similar.

Very informative! I probably (75%) will go FF within a year to 2. I want to build a lens collection first and get my feet under me better. Hoping to start a family next year, but I currently get quite a few pics of my brother in law (10.75 yr) and nephew (4.5). I'm in no way limiting myself to 4 more lens, just trying to build a road map.

Great info all around.

Canon T3i
Canon 15-85
Canon 55-250

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Sweden/France
Jul 02, 2012 03:25 |  #8

The combo you propose is very good on crop,but if you are planning to go FF soon you should consider the 17-40L instead of the 10-22. Start with 17-40 + 50/1.4 + 70-200/4 IS. This should get you going on the T3i and then you can get a FF kit with the 24-105. The 24-105 is much cheaper when it is sold in a kit...

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Jul 02, 2012 07:54 |  #9

I don't understand why people always recommend to folks with a crop camera (with thoughts of moving to FF) to get lenses for later - meaning when they get a FF body. Get the lenses you need to accomplish your tasks that work with the tools you currently have. Sure, the 17-40 and 24-105 are wonderful lenses. But they are a totally different lenses (in terms of usage) on a crop v FF - especially the 17-40. If/when you do make the switch from crop to FF, you will likely end up retooling some/most of your lens lineup anyway just to accomplish the same tasks. Take care of your stuff, and when to time comes to make a switch you can sell what you no longer need to buy other stuff to use your your newly acquired tool set (i.e. 5Dx). If you are planning to buy a 5D very shortly, consider waiting to retool your lenses.

On my 7D, I use 10-22 and 17-55. If I were to switch to a 5Dx, I would probably switch my lenses to 17-40 and 24-105 just to accomplish roughly the exact same tasks/styles that I use today.

Oh yeah...definately get that flash. It is useful on both (crop and FF) and will totally change your photography once you learn how to use it.

My Gear

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Jul 02, 2012 08:36 |  #10

^^^ Jump ship now! Go out and buy a 5D III with a 24-105 as a kit.. Save a few hundred. Sell the crop and it's lenses. Now, you don't need to worry about buying ef-s lenses anymore. No worrying about planning for the future as far as going FF, because you are already there. Done. No investing in the wrong lenses for later. As you will be full frame now, get the right lenses for - now!

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

crb
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 09:09 |  #11

wayne.robbins wrote in post #14659830external link
^^^ Jump ship now! Go out and buy a 5D III with a 24-105 as a kit.. Save a few hundred. Sell the crop and it's lenses. Now, you don't need to worry about buying ef-s lenses anymore. No worrying about planning for the future as far as going FF, because you are already there. Done. No investing in the wrong lenses for later. As you will be full frame now, get the right lenses for - now!

I would love to wake up tomorrow morning and the morning after. Trying to get bills paid off with in the next year and have a baby in 2013 hopefully. 2013 heading into 2024 will offer me much more money to play with my newest hobby. Wife may take this setup over, she wasn't that interested in photography before but has been playing with my camera. :)

Did I mention I tend to have expensive hobbies? Guns, motorcycle, atv, tools to an extent...

Canon T3i
Canon 15-85
Canon 55-250

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 09:17 as a reply to Mr B Pix's post |  #12

I partially agree with Mr B Pix. Get the lenses you want/need to accomplish what you want to do. But you can do it with some thought as to whether you might go to FF.

First figure out where (in terms of FL) you shoot most of the time. This can be quantitatively done in some image programs. It can also be done qualitatively. What do you find more frequent are you at the short end wanting to go wider, or the long end wanting more reach, or neither are you in the zoom range? Then decide what you like to shoot (you gave some ideas in your original post) and where (inside/outside, large spaces/confined spaces, etc...). Answering these should help some in deciding what you really want.

(If cost is no concern) IMO If you think you are going full frame, if you get a tele zoom get a 70-200 f/whatever. They are great on crop or FF. The 55-250 is great for the price, but can only be used on a crop camera. Don't worry about the range difference (you have it covered on the wide end) and a 1.4X teleconverter would take you a bit farther on the long end (with better IQ and as fast or faster aperture).

If you want a 50, get a 50 f/1.8. It is cheap (price and unfortunate build), has good IQ, and much faster aperture than you currently have. Otherwise figure what FL you use most and get a fast prime near that FL. (A first prime for me was easy, as I needed a macro and not a fast lens.)

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

crb
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 11:46 |  #13

One of the biggest holes I have is indoor shooting, in the house low light (regular lighting). I like to shoot lots of family photos of kids and suck many of which are inside. So inside small spaces is one goal. I want a little more zoom 250 would honestly probably do me, for some outdoor shooting park, soccer, etc. I was leaning 50mm for portraits and such. I will probably hold off on the ultra wide and just rent it for our trip next year.

I think I am going to tailor my lens purchases for the crop camera I have. With the intentions that my wife will probably take it over when I upgrade.

Canon T3i
Canon 15-85
Canon 55-250

jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Jul 02, 2012 11:56 as a reply to crb's post |  #14

I forgot to mention, get a flash. Learn to use it (bounce &/or off camera).

And based on your last statement, get the 50mm f/1.8 (even with this you will at times want flash). Flash is sometimes about the only way to stop the movement of kids moving fast inside.

Plus get the 55-250, it is a good lens for the price (and it will give you reach).

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Michigan
Jul 02, 2012 12:16 |  #15

crb wrote in post #14660612external link
One of the biggest holes I have is indoor shooting, in the house low light (regular lighting). I like to shoot lots of family photos of kids and suck many of which are inside. So inside small spaces is one goal. I want a little more zoom 250 would honestly probably do me, for some outdoor shooting park, soccer, etc. I was leaning 50mm for portraits and such. I will probably hold off on the ultra wide and just rent it for our trip next year.

I think I am going to tailor my lens purchases for the crop camera I have. With the intentions that my wife will probably take it over when I upgrade.

A flash will help more with your indoor shooting than a 50mm f/1.8.

Also, I agree with the statement above about buying lenses for the camera you have now, not for a camera you might have in the future. It would be different if you were definitely planning on buying a FF body in the next month or two, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

Personally, I would get a EFS 15-85mm instead of the 24-105L, sell the 18-135mm, and hold off buying a 10-22mm until you determine if 15mm will be wide enough for what you are shooting. Get a flash, and then add a telephoto -- the EFS 55-250mm is good if you are on a budget. The 100-400L is the ultimate zoo lens (you mentioned zoos in your original post), but it's probably out of your budget for now, based on what you've told us.

Photo Galleryexternal link
Gear List

sponsored links

2,611 views & 0 likes for this thread
help me with my lens wish list.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.