I have known about CHDK for a few years but only recently put it on my G11 and soon G12 as I had some spare time to learn about how to do it.
I'm not a computer expert or anything, just an enthusiastic amateur.
I'm not surprised so many people are put off, the instructions are a mess and you can waste hours reading and still not understand just what to do. Plus some of the info in the wiki is wrong.
It's well worth the effort though for all the extra functionality, especially for someone who loves the technical side of photography like me.
It took me a while to figure it out, so I thought I would share what I've learned and hopefully it encourages others to try it!
It seems confusing however you go about it but be patient and don't worry, you won't hurt anything, everything is reversible if you don't like it for some reason and you don't lose anything by installing it, in other words, there is no downside.
Now, here's my foolproof guide to installing CHDK in as little time as possible
1. OPTIONAL. If you know you want it and just want to get it on your camera so you can start playing, skip straight to step 2.
If you want to read all about CHDK and get comfortable with the idea, set aside some time and start following links from here.
2. The following works for any size SD card (I use a 16GB and a 32GB). Start following the instructions on this page but only complete up to step 19, then continue with my instructions in step 3. below.
Follow those instructions to step 19 including downloading and installing SDMinste.exe as linked in the first sentence.
I had to close and restart SDMinste.exe every time after the "Re-insert" prompt, but it always worked/did what it was supposed to.
3. When you get to step 20 there is a link called "CHDK Download information." Do not click on that, it's a bit of a wild goose chase. Instead, there is a program to do it all automatically. Open this page:
In the blue box, click on the link to ACID. Follow the brief instructions on the ACID page. It will automatically work out what firmware your camera has, what build you need, and then download it for you!
ACID will download a file to your computer. That is the "CHDK installation zip file" referred to in step 20 back on:
4. Continue on with step 20, starting with "Unzip the entire contents of the CHDK installation zip file to the SD card. You can delete the diskboot.bin file from the root of the SD card but leave the rest on the FAT32 parition. "
5. If all went well, you now have CHDK! You have to repeat that for every memory card you want to use CHDK with.
6. Start learning about how to use CHDK by reading these links and playing with it.
The Manual: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net …ser_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
The forum is here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5967.0
Fun DoF stacking tutorial:
Any questions just ask, I will try and help! Let me know if I made any mistakes, criticism welcomed!
Disclaimer: The above is just my opinion and I make no guarantees for anything anyone else does.