Stevenkelby how to install CHDK on a G11 guide!

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

stevenkelby
Joined Jun 2012
52 posts
Adelaide, South Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I have known about CHDK for a few years but only recently put it on my G11 and soon G12 as I had some spare time to learn about how to do it.

I'm not a computer expert or anything, just an enthusiastic amateur.

I'm not surprised so many people are put off, the instructions are a mess and you can waste hours reading and still not understand just what to do. Plus some of the info in the wiki is wrong.

It's well worth the effort though for all the extra functionality, especially for someone who loves the technical side of photography like me.

It took me a while to figure it out, so I thought I would share what I've learned and hopefully it encourages others to try it!

It seems confusing however you go about it but be patient and don't worry, you won't hurt anything, everything is reversible if you don't like it for some reason and you don't lose anything by installing it, in other words, there is no downside.

Now, here's my foolproof guide to installing CHDK in as little time as possible :D

1. OPTIONAL. If you know you want it and just want to get it on your camera so you can start playing, skip straight to step 2.

If you want to read all about CHDK and get comfortable with the idea, set aside some time and start following links from here.

http://chdk.wikia.com/​wiki/CHDK_in_Briefexternal link

http://chdk.wikia.com/​wiki/FAQexternal link

2. The following works for any size SD card (I use a 16GB and a 32GB). Start following the instructions on this page but only complete up to step 19, then continue with my instructions in step 3. below.

http://chdk.wikia.com ...e_Dual_Partition_SD​_cardsexternal link

Follow those instructions to step 19 including downloading and installing SDMinste.exe as linked in the first sentence.

I had to close and restart SDMinste.exe every time after the "Re-insert" prompt, but it always worked/did what it was supposed to.

3. When you get to step 20 there is a link called "CHDK Download information." Do not click on that, it's a bit of a wild goose chase. Instead, there is a program to do it all automatically. Open this page:

http://chdk.wikia.com ...on_number_of_my_cam​era.3Fexternal link

In the blue box, click on the link to ACID. Follow the brief instructions on the ACID page. It will automatically work out what firmware your camera has, what build you need, and then download it for you!

ACID will download a file to your computer. That is the "CHDK installation zip file" referred to in step 20 back on:

http://chdk.wikia.com ...e_Dual_Partition_SD​_cardsexternal link

4. Continue on with step 20, starting with "Unzip the entire contents of the CHDK installation zip file to the SD card. You can delete the diskboot.bin file from the root of the SD card but leave the rest on the FAT32 parition. "

5. If all went well, you now have CHDK! You have to repeat that for every memory card you want to use CHDK with.

6. Start learning about how to use CHDK by reading these links and playing with it.

http://chdk.wikia.com ...e_Ultra-Quick_Users_Guideexternal link

The Manual: http://images3.wikia.n​ocookie.net ...ser_Quick_Start_Gui​de.pdfexternal link

The forum is here: http://chdk.setepontos​.com/index.php?topic=5​967.0external link

Fun DoF stacking tutorial:

http://chdk.wikia.com/​wiki/DoF_Stackingexternal link

Have fun!

Any questions just ask, I will try and help! Let me know if I made any mistakes, criticism welcomed!

Best regards,

Steve.

Disclaimer: The above is just my opinion and I make no guarantees for anything anyone else does.

Post #1, Jul 01, 2012 13:24:33

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Immaculens
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Great contribution!

If it was not mentioned before - it bears mentioning what CHDK is, in my own words...

"The Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) unleashes hidden features of your Canon camera's firmware that Canon has chosen not to include as a public offering."

It is encouraging to know that a discussion exists on the CHDK Forum about simplifying the UI (User Interface) as it is well known that its not user friendly.

One menu being worked on, as it currently exists reads like:

Disable Overrides: Disable / Off / On

Future release will likely read: Enable Overrides: Yes / No

Everyone pretty much agrees that having a double-negative does not help with understanding... ;-)a

I'm willing to assist on this thread although I'm no seasoned user - I had it installed on my sx110 and now my G12 and although I've done lots of tinkering and experimenting, I don't use it much.

There are only really two features I personally use, or will use, at the moment: 64 sec exposure, and; auto TTL in Manual Mode for use with my 320EX speedlight. (someone wrote a script - its not natively included on CHDK)

I'm trying to find a developer to write a script so that we can have real Auto ISO in Manual Mode on our G12. (I photograph wildlife/bird action so i want a high shutter speed, adjustable aperture - and Auto ISO to fill in the X factor as my 60D does...

It would be nice if this thread could encourage G Series CHDK use so as to de-mystify CHDK and this could be a helpful member's thread. but it does not mean that users don't need to do their homework. I don;t think there is an "Easy" way to get around CHDK - but as was said - its for people who want extra functionality out of their G Camera

Post #2, Jul 01, 2012 14:04:45

| immaculens.comexternal link | ~ Will ~ | 70D | 70-300L | Etc, etc...

Learn to Love to Do Well - and You Shall ~ C. Poisidon

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,351 posts
west coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I have it on my G11, the only feature I've used so far is for time lapse, it works great.

Post #3, Jul 01, 2012 18:30:54 as a reply to Immaculens's post 4 hours earlier.

Needsnow
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,759 posts
Nebraska
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there one for the G1x?

Post #4, Jul 01, 2012 18:41:44

Canon 6D, 70D, SL1, lenses, a G1x mk ii & an S110

Immaculens
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

think so - google `chdk for g1x`

Post #5, Jul 01, 2012 19:54:17 as a reply to Needsnow's post 1 hour earlier.

sponsored links
defante
Joined Apr 2011
370 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I love CHDK on my G12. I use it for several things.
1. Taking a series of photos for focus stacking.
2. Motion detection script for capturing lightning.
3. The ability to do more than three exposures for HDR.

Post #6, Jul 02, 2012 00:27:19

~David
My FlickRexternal link | Google+external link

cool79
Joined May 2011
191 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

defante wrote in post #14658955external link
I love CHDK on my G12. I use it for several things.
2. Motion detection script for capturing lightning.
3. The ability to do more than three exposures for HDR.

how do i do the following that you had stated? i just installed it in my SD card for my G12

Post #7, Jul 20, 2012 06:30:37

Canon 600D | 17-55 f2.8 IS | 70-200 F4 IS | 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS | 50 f1.8 II | 430EXII

defante
Joined Apr 2011
370 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cool79 wrote in post #14743672external link
how do i do the following that you had stated? i just installed it in my SD card for my G12

In the CHDK menu > Extra Photo Operations > Bracketing in continuous mode

Set the "Subj. Dist. Bracket Value" and "Value factor (mm)" to your desired focus steps

Make sure TV, AV, and ISO bracketing are set to OFF

Set the "Bracketing type" (+) to start from closet to farthest / (-) if you're going to start from the farthest and work your way in

Exit the CHDK menu.

To start your stack, use Manual mode, and set your desired focus.

Push down on the d-pad to enable the timer mode and set the number of shots to take. Your focus will shift automatically after every shot. If you want more than 10 shots, just press the shutter button again and it will continue from it's last focus position.

HTH

Post #8, Jul 20, 2012 21:14:51

~David
My FlickRexternal link | Google+external link

cool79
Joined May 2011
191 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

do you mean i would need to shoot in M Mode and also MF mode?
focus the subject to the 1st focus point that i need start the stacking?

Post #9, Jul 21, 2012 01:25:37

Canon 600D | 17-55 f2.8 IS | 70-200 F4 IS | 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS | 50 f1.8 II | 430EXII

stevenkelby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
52 posts
Adelaide, South Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is some help :)

http://chdk.wikia.com/​wiki/DoF_Stackingexternal link

http://www.wonderfulph​otos.com ...les/macro/focus_sta​cking/external link

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread, been trying to learn about scripts but haven't had time! Will update 1st post when I figure it out.

Post #10, Jul 21, 2012 03:09:39

G11 and G12 plus many accessories.
My guide to CHDK

cool79
Joined May 2011
191 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cool... but i will stay away from this... worried i will be over happy and buy an marco lens for my DSLR!!!

Post #11, Jul 21, 2012 08:16:03 as a reply to stevenkelby's post 5 hours earlier.

sponsored links
Immaculens
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2009
7,185 posts
Southern Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Sure would be cool if a CHDK developer wrote an "Auto ISO" script for the G12 when in M mode...

someone did write a flash TTL script for M mode - which was quite nice of them to do - so if you have a speedlight for your hotshoe - that is a plus...

Post #12, Aug 10, 2012 17:47:13 as a reply to cool79's post 20 days earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,834 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stevenkelby how to install CHDK on a G11 guide!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES