Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #16
adilh

Default Re: Finding a Mentor

Thanks guys! All these is very valuable to understand the other side opinion and totally proactive on working to make it better

I'm doing great learning on my own, All I need is someone to give me an honest feedback about my work, and what can I do better to make it great, that's all. What I have to offer, well a lot, the last person I worked with (photographer) help with some strategies in the SEO world, barrow my equipment's and lighting setup, FREE shooting, Techy stuff ( I'm a nerd too )…. to the point that I feel like I'm being used. Anyway, if you guys can help with an honest opinion and constructive critic about my website, my shots that would awesome.

cheers.
adilh is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #17
adilh

My website is in the Signature also here
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #18
kfreels
Goldmember

I'm curious. If you do have a great job in one of the largest software companies in the area, why in the world would you want to start a photography business? Why is it that everyone who starts to shoot and gets half-way decent thinks they need to do this? I can tell you first hand it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I started shooting in 8th grade. I was really good and decided to go to college for it. I earned my degree, came out and did a few lousy jobs like Olan Mills. Then I opened my own brick & mortar studio for 8 years. While rewarding at first, it just drained me creatively. I spent all this time shooting what others wanted and at the end of the day when I was done, the last thing I wanted to do was take out the camera. I have this huge gap in my life of about 4 years where there are few photos of my family because of this.

I closed the business and didn't touch a camera for 10 years. I only came back a couple years ago and now I don't do it as a business. I do it for fun. Sure, if one of my kids' friends want senior pics or a friend or family member want their wedding shot, I MIGHT do it for a proper fee or trade (shot a wedding to get my roof done last year lol). But that's it.

Anyways, just something to think about.
Canon 7D, T2i-gripped |Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 55-250 f4/5.6 IS, EF 50mm f1.8 | Σ 10-20 F4-5.6 EX DC HSM, 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM, 17-70 f2.8-4 DC macro OS HSM, 150mm f2.8 APO Macro DG EX HSM, APO 70-200 f2.8 EX DG OS HSM |Σ EF-610 DG Super, Yongnuo YN-560| Yongnuo RF 603s|Marumi Super DHG ND4, ND8, CPL|Ravelli pro CF ball head tripod
kfreels is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #19
adilh

Totally hear you on that and respect your input, but I do have a fantastic job and very thankful for that why do I do it? simple because I want to and it's fun....nothing else, I like to learn and challenge myself.... heck if I can make more more money WHY NOT? or maybe get my roof fixed too for shoot why not

But yea, I totally appreciate your honesty, some replies and some feedback I got ( nothing surprising to me really) but it just enforced some thoughts and what about about some reactions I've got from local photographers..... and sure, I do take some decent pictures and they are getting better everyday and SOLD a few to locals and through my website, won a few awards here and there

Landscape still my primary focus and I love everything about it....but would this stop me from doing people, totally not, and the more I hear about people telling me to back off or go focus on your job the MORE that I'm fueled to do it and be good at it, just to challenge myself and LEARN.

Just to share a personal story/accomplishment, TONS people doubted me when I first moved to the stats 6 years ago, didn't speak a word of English, didn't know anyone, worked min wage..... did that stop me, NOT at all..... got two super technical degrees and worked for fortune 100 ( 2 times ), naturalized citizen and living the American Dream very big and VERY THANKFUL for that and GOD BLESS THE STATES

Sorry If I was venting/over reacting or what not, my intentions were all GOOD!!

Happy Friday
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfreels View Post
I'm curious. If you do have a great job in one of the largest software companies in the area, why in the world would you want to start a photography business? Why is it that everyone who starts to shoot and gets half-way decent thinks they need to do this? I can tell you first hand it isn't all it's cracked up to be. I started shooting in 8th grade. I was really good and decided to go to college for it. I earned my degree, came out and did a few lousy jobs like Olan Mills. Then I opened my own brick & mortar studio for 8 years. While rewarding at first, it just drained me creatively. I spent all this time shooting what others wanted and at the end of the day when I was done, the last thing I wanted to do was take out the camera. I have this huge gap in my life of about 4 years where there are few photos of my family because of this.

I closed the business and didn't touch a camera for 10 years. I only came back a couple years ago and now I don't do it as a business. I do it for fun. Sure, if one of my kids' friends want senior pics or a friend or family member want their wedding shot, I MIGHT do it for a proper fee or trade (shot a wedding to get my roof done last year lol). But that's it.

Anyways, just something to think about.
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #20
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Unlike kfreels I have a B/A in photography but instead of Olan Mills I went to work for one of the top shooters in this area right out of school. I have worked everyday full time in this since 1986. I now shoot advertising/commercial work and love it. It gives me a strong base to pay all the bills and allows me to have nice equipment and most important its the base from which I do my own personal work. But if I didn't have the degree, a great portfolio and made printing and camera skills I wouldn't have been taken seriously by the photographer I went to work for. He was a mentor and his knowledge was so important for my growth as a professional. I use a couple of assistants when I need them. They have degrees. Its much different today than when I came out of school. Those full time positions working for others are really few and far between. Full time staff positions at universities and hospitals are disappearing as well as with media outlets. Its hard to find a mentor. My advice is be persistent. Very persistent. I wouldn't take anyone seriously if they didn't actually take the time to come and meet me. E-mail if you were trying to get a job with me would be a dead end.

Last edited by airfrogusmc : 29th of June 2012 (Fri) at 19:48.
airfrogusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #21
adilh

Great Points, and thanks for sharing....I like face to face interaction than hiding behind the keyboard and try to make friends or what not, BUT, it's different nowadays, WE have to use emails or social media to reach people, then ask for the face time.....and you are right about being persistent, matter of fact, I scored a wedding through friend and I'm shooting couple engagement sessions in the next couple of weekends due to some referrals.....and getting paid for second shooting a wedding next Saturday .....It's working out well!!

I guess my generation's work by instant reward, we want things done and we want it NOW, unfortunately it doesn't work that way, everything takes time . Overall I'm happy with my work, accomplishments and looking forward to learn more, if I get a mentor, COOL, if not that's COOL too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Unlike kfreels I have a B/A in photography but instead of Olan Mills I went to work for one of the top shooters in this area right out of school. I have worked everyday full time in this since 1986. I now shoot advertising/commercial work and love it. It gives me a strong base to pay all the bills and allows me to have nice equipment and most important its the base from which I do my own personal work. But if I didn't have the degree, a great portfolio and made printing and camera skills I wouldn't have been taken seriously by the photographer I went to work for. He was a mentor and his knowledge was so important for my growth as a professional. I use a couple of assistants when I need them. They have degrees. Its much different today than when I came out of school. Those full time positions working for others are really few and far between. Full time staff positions at universities and hospitals are disappearing as well as with media outlets. Its hard to find a mentor. My advice is be persistent. Very persistent. I wouldn't take anyone seriously if they didn't actually take the time to come and meet me. E-mail if you were trying to get a job with me would be a dead end.
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #22
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilh View Post
Great Points, and thanks for sharing....I like face to face interaction than hiding behind the keyboard and try to make friends or what not, BUT, it's different nowadays, WE have to use emails or social media to reach people, then ask for the face time.....and you are right about being persistent, matter of fact, I scored a wedding through friend and I'm shooting couple engagement sessions in the next couple of weekends due to some referrals.....and getting paid for second shooting a wedding next Saturday .....It's working out well!!

I guess my generation's work by instant reward, we want things done and we want it NOW, unfortunately it doesn't work that way, everything takes time . Overall I'm happy with my work, accomplishments and looking forward to learn more, if I get a mentor, COOL, if not that's COOL too....
You certainly have a good attitude and I think there are several members that live/work in Vegas. I remember hearing the story that Marc Hauser told about when he started on his own. He would put a portfolio under his arm and go to all the top agencies in Chicago at the time every Friday. He kept going back every week until they threw a job his way after months and months of this. Then he did the most with it once he was given the opportunity.
airfrogusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #23
mtimber
Cream of the Crop

Op, check out Kelby Training online...

A lens doesn't create light, it captures it...
Mark
mtimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #24
adilh

YUP I got the package deal and that's the best investment I have made so far.....worth every penny. Learn from the greatest

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtimber View Post
Op, check out Kelby Training online...
Old 2nd of July 2012 (Mon)   #25
mtimber
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilh View Post
YUP I got the package deal and that's the best investment I have made so far.....worth every penny. Learn from the greatest

Cheers!
I do not think there is a better resource available for a learning photographer than Kelby Training.

And the cost is so low...

A lens doesn't create light, it captures it...
Mark
mtimber is offline   Reply With Quote