Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #1
NicholsonPhotography

Default Savage Seamless Grey Samples

Does anyone have any sample portraits of grey seamless paper? I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm leaning towards something a tad warm...Based on the color swatches, Gray Tint, Focus Gray, Studio Gray, or Storm Gray. Thanks!
NicholsonPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #2
Austin.Manny

Default Re: Savage Seamless Grey Samples

Thunder Gray is the first seemless I've bought so far and I really like it. You can make it pure black to catalog white by altering the amount of light, and it takes gels really well. Here are a couple I have done. I have more but they're not on my flickr it seems. I'd definitely say go for it, you won't be disappointed. Also, I bought a 53" seemless roll, which is wide enough for single portraits, even full length if you're careful, but any more than one person is difficult. Two is even stretching it. If you can, go for the full width roll. If not, 53" is not impossible by any means.

Hayley 3 by ARM's Reach Photography, on Flickr

Taylor_Steiner-1 by ARM's Reach Photography, on Flickr

Taylor_Steiner-5 by ARM's Reach Photography, on Flickr

Flickr
Austin.Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #3
NicholsonPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.Manny View Post
Thunder Gray is the first seemless I've bought so far and I really like it. You can make it pure black to catalog white by altering the amount of light, and it takes gels really well. Here are a couple I have done. I have more but they're not on my flickr it seems. I'd definitely say go for it, you won't be disappointed. Also, I bought a 53" seemless roll, which is wide enough for single portraits, even full length if you're careful, but any more than one person is difficult. Two is even stretching it. If you can, go for the full width roll. If not, 53" is not impossible by any means.

Hayley 3 by ARM's Reach Photography, on Flickr

Taylor_Steiner-1 by ARM's Reach Photography, on Flickr

Taylor_Steiner-5 by ARM's Reach Photography, on Flickr
Thanks Austin. I'm definitely buying the 107"...This will be used for dance portraits, so I need it to be as neutral as possible. I'm leaning towards warmer greys.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of June 2012 (Thu)   #4
Austin.Manny

Okay, the 107" will definitely not disappoint. As far as the tone of gray you choose, that is totally personal taste. I like the Thunder Gray, as it is a bit darker and for portraits, the subjects tend to pop. It is a top choice for fashion photography as well. It's very versatile, as far as light to dark, gelling, etc.

But whichever shade you end up choosing. Savage makes great paper. It has a subtle sheen that is just stunning and polishes the final product.

Do you already own a support system for the backdrop?

Flickr
Old 29th of June 2012 (Fri)   #5
NicholsonPhotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin.Manny View Post
Okay, the 107" will definitely not disappoint. As far as the tone of gray you choose, that is totally personal taste. I like the Thunder Gray, as it is a bit darker and for portraits, the subjects tend to pop. It is a top choice for fashion photography as well. It's very versatile, as far as light to dark, gelling, etc.

But whichever shade you end up choosing. Savage makes great paper. It has a subtle sheen that is just stunning and polishes the final product.

Do you already own a support system for the backdrop?
Thanks...Yes, I own a backdrop stand, and I have already used white paper. I'm thinking the storm gray may have a warmer tone.

Have any of you ever used plexi for the floor?
Old 30th of June 2012 (Sat)   #6
Austin.Manny

No, I haven't. I wish, but I have neither the funds nor the space. Though such photographers as Zack Arias have, and I believe he has a tutorial up on his website. I love the seemless/plexi combo.

Flickr
Old 30th of June 2012 (Sat)   #7
Whortleberry

Quote:
Also, I bought a 53" seamless roll, which is wide enough for single portraits, even full length if you're careful, but any more than one person is difficult. Two is even stretching it. If you can, go for the full width roll. If not, 53" is not impossible by any means.
If you buy the 9ft roll, you can cut it ( when it's rolled up ) assymetrically to give you a 6ft wide and a 3ft wide which is useful for small product shots without the pain of setting up a whole studio. An ordinary handsaw does the job more than adequately, a hacksaw gives a slightly better cut edge but takes an age by comparison.

Last edited by Whortleberry : 2nd of July 2012 (Mon) at 08:55.
Whortleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #8
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whortleberry View Post
If you buy the 9ft roll, you can cut it ( when it's rolled up ) assymetrically to give you a 6ft wide and a 3ft wide which is useful for small product shots without the pain of setting up a whole studio. An ordinary handsaw does the job more than adequately, a hacksaw gives a slightly better cut edge but taks an age by comparison.
A circular saw makes an even better edge and takes about 2 seconds. Just roll it tight and cut away.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of July 2012 (Mon)   #9
SillyGuy

here are some of my shots: