Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of July 2012 (Fri)   #1
tunin

Default ST-E3-RT + 2x600ex to replace my PS Flex/mini + 2x580ex2

Hi,

I found and read a few threads on the new 600ex and the st-e3-rt but none answered a question I have...

I currently have 1x PW mini + 2x PW flex + 2x 580ex2 and a Hensel 2 strobe kit
When I use the PW+580ex2 all works well, sometimes I use the PW connected to the hensels with a mono cabel (no ttl of-course) to fire them and this works for me.

My question is, if I sold the PWs and the 580ex2s and gotten my self a st-e3-rt + 2x 600ex would I be able to connect the 600ex as the remote triggers on my Hensels? And fire them with the st-e3-rt? Basically use them as I do my PW? Or should I just ask is there a mono connector on the 600ex?

Thank you.

*** Amateur tools ***
tunin is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of July 2012 (Fri)   #2
aztecdaz

Default Re: ST-E3-RT + 2x600ex to replace my PS Flex/mini + 2x580ex2

There's no way to use the canon system to fire studio strobes or any other type of flash unit, unless you are using them as a dumb optical trigger. I replaced my pocketwizard flex/mini to the canon and have picked up a set of cheap wireless triggers for my studio strobes. Hopefully canon or someone else will release a receiver which can work off the radio signal and trigger a set of studio strobes
Old 6th of July 2012 (Fri)   #3
julius071

If I understand correctly, you want to fire the Hensels with the 600EX? I think the answer is no. 600ex only can fire the same radio frequency as it's 600ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunin View Post
Hi,

I found and read a few threads on the new 600ex and the st-e3-rt but none answered a question I have...

I currently have 1x PW mini + 2x PW flex + 2x 580ex2 and a Hensel 2 strobe kit
When I use the PW+580ex2 all works well, sometimes I use the PW connected to the hensels with a mono cabel (no ttl of-course) to fire them and this works for me.

My question is, if I sold the PWs and the 580ex2s and gotten my self a st-e3-rt + 2x 600ex would I be able to connect the 600ex as the remote triggers on my Hensels? And fire them with the st-e3-rt? Basically use them as I do my PW? Or should I just ask is there a mono connector on the 600ex?

Thank you.
Old 6th of July 2012 (Fri)   #4
johnlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecdaz View Post
Hopefully canon or someone else will release a receiver which can work off the radio signal and trigger a set of studio strobes

i dont think canon will ever come out w/ something that will let you trigger a set of studio strobes, unless that strobes is made by Canon. If anything, Radiopopper might be one company to do this first.
My Gear List
johnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of July 2012 (Fri)   #5
tunin

The thin is, thi works for me now, I mean the PW flex/mini with the 580ex and the Hensels... I was gonna upgrade to two of the 600ex-rt and the e3-rt t osimplify things but if it does not work, then I'm sticking to what I have...

*** Amateur tools ***
tunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of July 2012 (Fri)   #6
jrscls
Goldmember

I have 2 Flex TT5 and 1 Mini TT1 along with the AC3 and AC9s for the Alien Bees. I thought about upgrading my flashes to the new 600EX units as the OP is contemplating, but my PocketWizards work great. As a bonus, they are really nice for the Alien Bees as well. My conclusion is to use what I have.