Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 06 Jul 2012 (Friday) 23:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First decent Saturn

HaroldC3
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
West Richland, WA
Jul 06, 2012 23:38 |  #1

Well this is my best image of Saturn to date. It was taken with a Canon 60D in movie mode.

A 1080p video was shot for about 6 minutes producing about 11,000 individual frames. I converted the movie to an AVI and loaded it into Registax where it aligned the frames and in the end stacked about 7,000 of the 11,000 frames.

Total time for aligning and stacking was about 2.5 hours.

I'm still really new at this and I was shooting the video within the city. I think I may be able to get better results if I shoot from a darker location with better seeing and possibly get an image showing the Cassini division in the rings. But for now, I am content with what I was able to get.

Video was shot at ISO6400, 1/30s at a focal length of 5000mm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Best Saturn So Far (external link) by HaroldC3 (external link), on Flickr

Flickrexternal link ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Brisbane, AU
Jul 07, 2012 01:40 |  #2

Wow, that is an awesome image. I love it.

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeekexternal link

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 07, 2012 08:09 |  #3

that is spectacular Harold

spit
311 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Alpha Cygnus II- Delta Quadrant
Jul 07, 2012 16:30 |  #4

not bad- thats alot of frames though, you need more focal length and a filter, heres a link that offer some additional advice- http://www.iceinspace.​com.au/forum/showthrea​d.php?t=91214external link

MidnightSun
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Afton, VA / Korat, Thailand
Jul 08, 2012 17:08 |  #5

Nice one....

Dave
Canon 350D, AE-1, Orion 8" Newt. f/4.9; EQ6 w/ modified motor drive; Orion 70mm f/10 Refractor Guide Scope; Celestron NexImage CCD Imager; Starshoot Autoguider. Orion Electronic Focusers.
Astro Setup / Midnight Sun Astrophotographyexternal link

1,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
First decent Saturn
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.