LIST NEARBY THREADS

KirkS518
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
3,900 posts
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
[MORE/SHARE]

Fill in the blanks please:

For film photography you should _____ expose your shot.

For digital photography, you should _______ expose your shot.

It has to do with PP recovery, and for the life of me I can't remember which is the over, and which is the under :confused:

Post #1, Jul 08, 2012 00:48:35

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
madjack
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,388 posts
Orange County, Ca.
[MORE/SHARE]

I once read an article that stated you should "shoot to the right" (overexpose) a bit when shooting digital.

Post #2, Jul 08, 2012 01:17:47

www.pva.orgexternal link

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
Joined Apr 2005
19,130 posts
Northern Illinois, US
[MORE/SHARE]

Google "expose to the right."

Post #3, Jul 08, 2012 01:47:58

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
Joined Apr 2005
12,598 posts
Gesher Haziv, Israel
[MORE/SHARE]

For negative film photography you should over expose your shot enough to guarantee that the shadows get adequate exposure, otherwise they will be just blank film base or very thin and lack detail.
For slide film photography you should under expose your shot enough to guarantee that the highlights are fully detailed and not just blank film base.
For digital photography, you should correctly expose your shot by exposing the brightest significant highlight to be just short of clipping. Essentially the same as slide photography, except that unless you printed from the slide you had to accept it as your final product, while digital photography is a two stage process - exposure and PP - and correct exposure takes the second half into account by providing the best possible file for editing.

Post #4, Jul 08, 2012 04:09:56

Elie / אלי
I look at the world and I notice it's turning, while my guitar gently weeps.
With every mistake we must surely be learning, still my guitar gently weeps.
Paul Harrison
Siteexternal link

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
7,527 posts
Auckland, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I would have said "correctly" covers both...

Post #5, Jul 08, 2012 04:28:45

canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

Conventional Wisdom also held that a slight under exposure of slide film gave images richer color, more contrast and therefor a little more pop.

There are some (most notably Moose Peterson) who feel similar about digital.

IMO, Correct =/= Right

Sometimes you need/want more data to the left of your histogram and sometimes you want more to the right. A really well-done high key portrait is obviously not "correct" insofar as an 18% grey reference is concerned but it's certainly the "right" exposure.

Post #6, Jul 08, 2012 04:31:28

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

KirkS518
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
3,900 posts
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
[MORE/SHARE]

Of course the 'correct' exposure is the preferred exposure. Although, there are times when the 'correct' exposure according to the camera is not the right exposure for the desired image outcome.

It has to do with data recovery when doing post. I guess it is the ETTR, as that would allow toning down in the higher areas, but there is enough detail recorded in the shadows to be able to bring them out.

Post #7, Jul 08, 2012 12:47:46 as a reply to FlyingPhotog's post 8 hours earlier.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

kfreels
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
4,287 posts
Princeton, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

tzalman wrote in post #14686430external link
For negative film photography you should over expose your shot enough to guarantee that the shadows get adequate exposure, otherwise they will be just blank film base or very thin and lack detail.
For slide film photography you should under expose your shot enough to guarantee that the highlights are fully detailed and not just blank film base.
For digital photography, you should correctly expose your shot by exposing the brightest significant highlight to be just short of clipping. Essentially the same as slide photography, except that unless you printed from the slide you had to accept it as your final product, while digital photography is a two stage process - exposure and PP - and correct exposure takes the second half into account by providing the best possible file for editing.

^^This

Post #8, Jul 08, 2012 14:05:23

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

While I've heard some say that for digital "underexposure can be good" I've never seen it demonstrated. I have a sneaky suspicion that these are held-over "conventions" from slide film shooting.

That being said, exposure in scenes with a high dynamic range can be a "juggling act". As has been mentioned, you want your brightest highlights that have "meaning" to be just pushing the edge, which often means that significant parts of your composition will be "underexposed".

While that is something we have to deal with, I don't consider it a "good thing", just a necessary thing.

But, that doesn't mean that it's good to "overexpose" -- if you let a subject get too bright, well, it gets messy 'cause you can't recover the highlight detail.

If a scene is questionable as to the dynamic range, Raw becomes a great asset. For me, because I shoot in such conditions most of the time, I just leave my camera set to shoot Raw, and never switch out of Raw. The times when I have the luxury of controlled lighting with no dynamic range challenges, well, I can still shoot Raw and just make quick jpeg conversions. But if I switch to jpeg shooting for those scenes and then forget/neglect to switch back, well, I'd regret it!

Post #9, Jul 09, 2012 08:37:21

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
669 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the Over Under
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES