RRS Tripod with panoramic head

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 07 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 08:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bakedcookies
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I will be receiving my RRS Carbon tripod and Panoramic head next week!!! EXCITED! ... My question is...Would it be okay to use a CPL and or GND's since I will not be rotating my camera but sliding it side to side for panoramas? I am assuming the type of lens and light difference will effect this as well, but probably not as bad. I will however be using a Zeiss 21mm Distagon, canon 100-400L, canon 17-40. Should I be overly concerned about uneven colors using these filters? I will not be using AWB either which should help a bit. Manual mode and AE Lock as well. Any thoughts?

Post #1, Jul 07, 2012 08:55:42

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
jannefoo
Joined Jun 2012
63 posts
.fi
[MORE/SHARE]

but sliding it side to side for panoramas

Why? You'll just get parallax errors.

Post #2, Jul 08, 2012 07:52:41

my flickrexternal link | blog about panoramic photographyexternal link

bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Not following you here. I got the nodal slide option. This eliminates the parallax errors. Correct me if I am wrong.

Post #3, Jul 09, 2012 08:28:52

bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Can anybody else chime in on this?

Post #4, Jul 10, 2012 11:20:11

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
Joined Aug 2005
6,164 posts
Atwater, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

bakedcookies wrote in post #14691164external link
Not following you here. I got the nodal slide option. This eliminates the parallax errors. Correct me if I am wrong.

That's what I thought too. :confused:

Post #5, Jul 10, 2012 14:56:22

Images in the Backcountryexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Google+external link | Twitterexternal link
SEO for the Photographerexternal link | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masksexternal link
Canon 5D • 17-40 ƒ/4L • 300 ƒ/4L IS • 70-200 ƒ/4L • 50 ƒ/1.8 • 1.4x TC • Kenko Ext. Tubes
http://www.pinterest.c​om/pin/create/extensio​n/external link

sponsored links
bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think they were commenting on my "sliding side to side". I see the nodal slide is to slide the camera back and fourth to reduce or even eliminate parallax. Then you pan the camera.

I watched a video that explained parallax by the way. They said to put your finger in front of you and shake your head slowly. Your finger appears to move, even though it is not. Very interesting. This is the same movement as panning the camera. I find this stuff incredibly interesting!

Post #6, Jul 11, 2012 10:09:52

Numenorean
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
4,954 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bakedcookies wrote in post #14691164external link

You're wrong.

The nodal slide allows you to position the camera over the correct axis of rotation by moving it forward/backward. Then you can rotate the camera on this axis to take your photos, which will eliminate parallax errors. You should not be moving it side to side.

So to answer your CPL question, it depends. Since you will be rotating your camera, it can change - depending on time of day, direction you are shooting, etc.

Post #7, Jul 11, 2012 10:16:01

Gear List

bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Numenorean: Thank you, but if you read through the posts I figured this out. : / It is actually right above your post. But, thanks for playing.

Post #8, Jul 11, 2012 12:55:01

Numenorean
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
4,954 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bakedcookies wrote in post #14702448external link
Numenorean: Thank you, but if you read through the posts I figured this out. : / It is actually right above your post. But, thanks for playing.

You asked, I answered. Both questions.

Not my fault if your post was not there when I read your thread and my mind reading must be off today since I wasn't aware you figured out all the answers yourself prior to you posting about them.

Post #9, Jul 11, 2012 13:00:19

Gear List

bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmm I see. Didn't mean to come off like an ass. Problems are solved. Now I just have to make note of my lenses so they are on point to start using this bad boy!

Post #10, Jul 12, 2012 22:00:47

jasonleehl
Joined Oct 2007
521 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bakedcookies wrote in post #14683053external link
My question is...Would it be okay to use a CPL and or GND's

Coming from a similar setup except that I use a Gitzo Tripod instead.
Generally CPL is a bit tricky for pano because ideally exposure should be about the same for post-processing correction later on. GND is fine for most applications.

Post #11, Jul 12, 2012 22:22:30

You're welcome to follow me at Instagramexternal link or visit my gallery at http://www.timestoodst​ill.sgexternal link

sponsored links
bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Makes sense as long as you have AE Lock on I am assuming, right?

Post #12, Jul 13, 2012 07:38:38 as a reply to jasonleehl's post 9 hours earlier.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,857 posts
Colorado
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I just got the same RRS panoramic head, but haven't tried it with a polarizer. I'm thinking if you use a wide angle lens with a polarizer you're more likely to get problems with the sky in the various photos. But if you used a telephoto, say 100mm, with a polarizer, it should be ok.

bakedcookies wrote in post #14710628external link
Makes sense as long as you have AE Lock on I am assuming, right?

If you're using manual mode then AE lock has no effect because you're the one changing both aperture and shutter speed.

Post #13, Jul 14, 2012 22:02:00

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldboughexternal link

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

bakedcookies
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
860 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I never thought of that using M with AE lock but was always confused with AE lock on why the meter would change. -_-

Post #14, Jul 15, 2012 12:08:36

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripod with panoramic head
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES