Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Bird Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #1
kinghong1970
Goldmember

Default Looking for Long Beach Island NJ Birding advice...

going to spend a week in LBI with the family... just want to know if anyone has some good spots..

googled some but looking for a more personal/experience location if you dont mind...

i am planning to take the family over to the Edwin B Forsythe for a drive as well.

any tips/pointers are much appreciated.

regards,

Al

GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N
kinghong1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of July 2012 (Tue)   #2
tomj

Default Re: Looking for Long Beach Island NJ Birding advice...

The jetty at Barnegat Light, on the north end of the island. You can walk out to the end, just be careful. The beach and along the dunes near the jetty also.

Forsythe is good all year round, although you can hit a slow day. The problem in summer is bugs, especially green-head flies, which can be intimidating as you're driving with a dozen or so on you windshield. I use Deep Woods Off and tend to not be bothered by them. You can shoot mostly from your car, but when you roll down the window you may get visitors. But plan to spend some time there if you can, and be observant - there's a lot there. You'll probably find other photographers there (maybe me) who are generally happy to fill you in on any activity.

A lot of my flickr stuff is from those two places - see link below.

Last edited by tomj : 10th of July 2012 (Tue) at 14:23.
tomj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #3
kinghong1970
Goldmember

tomj,

thanks for the reply.
when is a "slow day" for Forsythe?
aaah yes, thems bugs... thems biting bugs... i hate them...
i use one of those "DEET FREE" type sprays but i think i will have to stock up on some heavy duty sprays.

is Forsythe kid friendly?
i noticed there's a nice drive around in Forsythe, can i stop and pull over to the side to take some pics?

great pics on your flickr btw!

thanks again

Al

GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N
kinghong1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #4
tomj

"when is a "slow day" for Forsythe?"

Sometimes are just not as busy as others, but i don't know how to predict it. It can even vary during the day.

"aaah yes, thems bugs..."

I use a decent spray, and even though the car is covered with them, when I get out they leave me alone - they actually seem more attracted to cars than people. Don't let them intimidate you!

"is Forsythe kid friendly?
i noticed there's a nice drive around in Forsythe, can i stop and pull over to the side to take some pics?"

Probably depends on the kids. There is an area behind the visitors center that seems set up for kids. Most of the preserve is the drive, about 8 miles I think, figure an hour. You can stop and get out anywhere. But you can usually do most of your shooting from the car.

"great pics on your flickr btw!"

Thank you!