Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of July 2012 (Tue)   #1
Kevan
Goldmember

Default POTN G-series Speed Challenge #388- Hot!

Challenge #388 - Hot!

Interpret as you will.

Description of challenge rules for the subject.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 16 July 2012.

Photo Submissions
Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G1x) or Pro 1 only.
-
Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
-
Size -- photo must be between 800 to 1024 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
-
Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
-
Posting --
One photo per photographer in each challenge.
Photo Title in the message subject line.
Camera model.
EXIF data, if you like.
Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
-
Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
-
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.
Old 10th of July 2012 (Tue)   #2
teekay

Default Boiling Hot, Yellowstone Park

G1

teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #3
Raven

Default My kind of hot!

G9

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #4
Maureen Souza
Ms. Moderator

Default Hot & Spicy!

Pro 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8663.JPG (127.9 KB, 198 views)

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1

Last edited by Maureen Souza : 12th of July 2012 (Thu) at 01:22.
Maureen Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #5
CMOats

Default Hot diggity dog

G12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1606potn.jpg (122.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #6
pwdieter

Default How Hot is that Oven?

G12

http://paul-dieter.artistwebsites.com/
pwdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #7
marie
Cream of the Crop

Post Hot Music from a Galway Girl

G12
1/10 f/4

Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #8
JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP

Default A Cup of Hot Coffee - Perfect Start to the Day!

G11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POTN-Coffee-REV02.jpg (99.0 KB, 138 views)
5D, 30D, 7D, G11, 10-22MM EF-S, 50MM f/1.4 EF, 70-200MM f/2.8 L IS MKII, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 100MM f/2.8 EF Macro, Sigma 30MM f/1.4, 135MM EF f/2 L, 24-105MM f/4 EF L IS, 17-40MM f/4 EF L, 85MM f/1.2 EFL, 15MM f/2.8 EF Fisheye
JimAskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #9
JohnAskew3

Default I like my BBQ HOT!!!!!!!

G10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POTN-IMG_3075pscs5cta.jpg (100.0 KB, 136 views)
JohnAskew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #10
polver

Default Great Southern Land

G1X

polver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #11
mrshobden

Default Hot Sparklers on Bonfire Night !

G11
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #12
Kevan
Goldmember

Default Re: POTN G-series Speed Challenge #388- Hot!

Chill! I'll be back later today.
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #13
Kevan
Goldmember

So...anyone else hungry after viewing all those food images, shown there? I know I am, and I had to write about it too! Look at all the entries we got this week, and some from new folk too. Welcome.

Lemme get this wrapped up so I can stick my head in the fridge, both for its cooling effect and to address a yearning most of you-all caused me.

This one is really hard to come up with 3 toppers, but I'll try my best:

teekay - Boiling Hot, Yellowstone Park: I need to get myself there, soon. Interesting image of the smoldering cauldron that is Yellowstone. Until I looked at the image's EXIF, I thought the image might have been taken during a frosty period, what with the immediate grounds looking like there was some snow or frost on them. And then up along the distant hillside, the trees appear very barren, but then I thought maybe they were still-standing victims to the fires that ravaged the park back in the late 80's. Anyway, it's a neat steamy image of an amazing park. Me thinks the bathing waters would be a tad too hot for my toes.

Raven - My kind of hot! Here's to pepper-power! Awesome display of vivid color. Street-style photography can always be a bit tricky, what with the adverse effects of poor light, motion, and trying to be discreet shooting a scene with people in it. The image appears a tad stressed in post production, and there's some slight motion blur due to a slow shutter speed, but it is an engaging scene and everything is forgiven when you can bring along that much subject matter and color. I need some bread and a cold beer after chewing on this image.

Maureen Souza - Hot & Spicy!: Maureen's buying, everyone! Oooo...baby, lemme pull up a chair. We've all been there, the cool taste of fresh lettuce, some soothing cheese, and then that tasty (SLURP!) fusion of meat-vegi lava buried underneath it all, followed by a crunch. Really nice platter image, solid focus with a terrific touch of DOF, appetizingly lit too. The one thing I try doing in my food shots is try to help the viewer envision eating it, and while this IS finger food, I like adding a spoon or fork, just so as to make it easier for us to eat what you're offering. Sorry I can't say anything more, I need to get this review done before I run off to the neighborhood Mex restaurant.

CMOats - Hot diggity dog: Alright, I'm okay with this, I can get through this. I just had a couple chili dogs for lunch. Oh, I was about to critique your dog building rather than the image. As the dawg goes...you done good. Might I suggest Sriracha instead of ketchup in your future builds, is all. Oh brother...I did it after all. To the image then: nice setup as a whole, good focus and framing. Two suggestions: use a piece of white paper or reflector to bounce some of that window light back on the bun's edge nearest the chips, maybe from camera's right, and try some very slight dodging on the relish to bright it some. Definitely a solid food shot.

pwdieter - How Hot is that Oven?: I'll give you the hottest-looking image of the lot. You've got the fire up-close and personal. Looks like you used a bit of filler flash to light up the scene. Not the easiest conditions to improve the oven's lighting, but the coals are the power players in this image and the pizzas...please have them delivered.

Marie - Hot Music from a Galway Girl: Did someone get a new camera? I bet this young lady is awesome to listen to. Funny how we get ourselves in these predicaments where we think we can hold a camera steady enough. It might have been better to have gone the whole other direction, too much time. I'm not sure the motion blur added any mood, but there's no doubting, she's one passionate street singer.

JimAskew - A Cup of Hot Coffee - Perfect Start to the Day!: I take mine 50/50 with hot chocolate, thank you. Long gone are my black coffee days. Still, it looks so good, and I can even see the vapor dew collecting on the inside edge of the cup's lip. I won't be needing the packets, but thanks for offering. This is a good hot, I mean shot. I mean both...

JohnAskew3 - I like my BBQ HOT!!!!!!!: Darn it, John! Why'djuh try to openly bribe me like this? This is the only sticky-hot that's any good and you even offered me a fork for sampling. Thanks, pal. We've got sticky-hot going on outside today, and it's simply awful. The onboard flash is a bit unfriendly, hurting some detail, but whatever it takes to get the goodness, I say. I might have tried getting us up closer to the dish, rub our noses in it, if you please would, but otherwise, I enjoy the overall scene, the platter and worn table surface. Next time, give us a yell, will yuh?

Polver - Great Southern Land: so ends the heat of the day, in one fiery ball. I've gotten myself around he globe extensively, but the great "Down Under" remains unstamped on my passport. Your image is pulling on me with the terrific balance of light and the evening's shade. Beautiful image.

mrshobden - Hot Sparklers on Bonfire Night !: who doesn't love waving those things around? Really a super neat image. I do think it could be cropped a bit tighter, but I like that there's little to no noise and the little blur that's there, works in concert to the scene. My understanding is, those things are really really hot, at their molten core. Try tightening it, I think you'll like the results. But keep in, that spark licking off to the far right. I really liked this image chopped. Heck, your offsetting the scene calls for it.

So...who was hottest? Who simply gave us an awesome shot? You all did terrific in your own interpretation, here's my guess at the best:

3rd: Linda's Hot Sparklers...

2nd: pwdieter's How hot...(and for being the "hottest-looking" image}

Foist! Maureen's Hot & Spicey!

Take'r Mo!
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #14
teekay

Congratulations Maureen, Linda and Paul - hot stuff, people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
.... Yellowstone. Until I looked at the image's EXIF, I thought the image might have been taken during a frosty period....And then up along the distant hillside, the trees appear very barren, but then I thought maybe they were still-standing victims to the fires that ravaged the park....
Not frost, but white minerals deposited over the ages, render some of Yellowstone's landscape as barren as the moon and as hot as hell- actually not a pretty sight. And you are right, the bare trees are the result of that major fire. My G1 was "modern" digital gear when I was there, so I'd like to go back now with my 60D.
teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #15
JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP

Congratulations to the winners: Mo. Linda, and Paul! What a bunch of awesome entries this week. And, Kevan a great, great contrest theme; and one tough cookie to judge! You really had your work cut out for you with these stellar entries.

I must admit that Mo's, Cheryl's, Paul's, and John's entries had me licking the screen

My coffee photo experience was a real trial! I kept drinking the coffee and calling for more trying to catch a cup with the steam rising...after two trips to the restroom I gave up
5D, 30D, 7D, G11, 10-22MM EF-S, 50MM f/1.4 EF, 70-200MM f/2.8 L IS MKII, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 100MM f/2.8 EF Macro, Sigma 30MM f/1.4, 135MM EF f/2 L, 24-105MM f/4 EF L IS, 17-40MM f/4 EF L, 85MM f/1.2 EFL, 15MM f/2.8 EF Fisheye

Last edited by JimAskew : 16th of July 2012 (Mon) at 18:41.
JimAskew is offline   Reply With Quote