Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #1
gkanetkar

Question Olympic NP or Mount Rainier?

I am planning to visit Washington state for total 3 days in the 1st or 3rd week of August.

I am looking for landscape photography opportunities. Based on online photos, my wife and I liked both Mount Rainier and Olympic national park.

I have a 15 month old daughter. I will keep the early morning and late evenings purely for my photography. So during that time, my wife will take care of my daughter at the hotel/ lodge and I can go alone for the photo shoot. With my daughter, I am planning to go out in the park during the day time for about 4-5 hrs depending on her sleep schedule (since we are from michigan, so she might feel some jetlag).

Considering all this, could you guys suggest me which park to visit - Olympic or Rainier?
Based on milder winter, will I be able to see the wildflowers in Mt. Rainier in August?

Any help is appreciated.
gkanetkar is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #2
Gizmo1137

Default Re: Olympic NP or Mount Rainier?

Both that is a tough one they are both so different and yet both very beautiful with many photo ops at each. Given your circumstances I would choose Olympic where you have terrific diversity.
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #3
goldboughtrue
User is banned from forums

Here's a thread on some Olympic NP highlights. I can't speak for Mt. Rainier because I haven't been there.
goldboughtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of July 2012 (Tue)   #4
Canon_Lover
Goldmember

Early August? Snow will just be barely melted out at Mt Rainier. Late season. Should be epic by 3rd week though.

I live right next to the Olympic mountains. The higher elevations are not very scenic, as there are no good peaks there. The wildflowers are nice though!

Mt Rainier has way more accessibility and is infinitely more photogenic.

It's a late year. Try for a 3rd week of August.
Canon_Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of July 2012 (Fri)   #5
gkanetkar

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Now got to book the flight soon.
gkanetkar is offline   Reply With Quote