Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Kids & Family Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #1
feral1

Default lighting problem maybe

Hi all, I am new to people photography, well portraits really. I have bought a set of flash heads with soft boxes, I have had a few goes with it set in the family room etc. I am having one smallish problem.
I am noticing on some of the shots there is a dark area at the bottom of the frame or along the right hand side of a shot in vertical ??.
Just wondering of anyone else has had this problem and what may have caused it .

I have placed an image in so you can see what I mean, image is straight out of camera, just re-sized.

Thanks

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2496-edit-tom.jpg (117.2 KB, 132 views)
feral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #2
elysium
"full of stupid banter"

Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France
Default Re: lighting problem maybe

Check your shutter speeds. Shutter speed could be too fast.

Does it happen when you use your camera elsewhere without any lighting kit?
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #3
feral1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysium View Post
Check your shutter speeds. Shutter speed could be too fast.

Does it happen when you use your camera elsewhere without any lighting kit?
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering on that aspect. I was at 1/125 I will try it at the 1/200th to see if it is any better.

This is the only time it shows up, not with normal flash or normal light.

Thanks

Peter
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #4
D Thompson
Goldmember

EXIF on your posted shot shows shutter speed of 1/250 which is flash sync speed for the 60D. It depends on how you're triggering the lights as there will be a slight delay. Back your shutter speed down to 1/200 ~ 1/125 and the problem should go away.
We'll be friends until we are old and senile. Then, we'll be new friends every day thereafter.

D Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #5
feral1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Thompson View Post
EXIF on your posted shot shows shutter speed of 1/250 which is flash sync speed for the 60D. It depends on how you're triggering the lights as there will be a slight delay. Back your shutter speed down to 1/200 ~ 1/125 and the problem should go away.
Thank you for the reply, I am going to look at the SS this afternoon when friends come around for a chat and hopefully a few shots. Dont know why I said I was on 1/125 when it was 1/250th, DOH. I have been using the setup at 1/250th, but have done a few shots at 1/200th, I am wondering if the remote flash unit is only a 1/200th or lower set off.

Peter

Last edited by feral1 : 14th of July 2012 (Sat) at 22:56.
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #6
D Thompson
Goldmember

What are using to trigger them?
We'll be friends until we are old and senile. Then, we'll be new friends every day thereafter.

Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #7
feral1

Quote:
What are using to trigger them?
I bought a kit studio set up, I can not find a name for the triggers.
I think I may have found out some of the problem, I am not certain for sure as yet.
When the unit re-charges, I think some times it does not fully charge, I have a few good shots then a few like above image. Sunday arvo I did a few tests, with a friend and found that a few were duller than others, using the same settings and distance.

So may have to look at a light meter to test properly.

Thanks all.

Peter
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #8
D Thompson
Goldmember

What was your shutter speed on the good shots versus the bad shots? If it's just a darker bar at the bottom like your posted shot, then in all likelihood it is due to too fast of a shutter speed. If the whole image looks dull/underexposed then it is more than likely the unit wasn't recharged. Take a look, it should show estimated recycle time somewhere and there should be a ready light on the strobe as well.

Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #9
Ephur

I think the syncing speed is really the issue with the strobes. Not being fully charged before firing again would caused dimmer light across the entire exposure, but not the dark banding at the bottom. 1/250 is probably higher than the wireless trigger can support, I've got some inexpensive strobes and use Yongnuo 603 triggers. I def run into the same problem when shooting at or near the max shutter sync speed.
Ephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #10
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral1 View Post
Thank you for the reply, I am going to look at the SS this afternoon when friends come around for a chat and hopefully a few shots. Dont know why I said I was on 1/125 when it was 1/250th, DOH. I have been using the setup at 1/250th, but have done a few shots at 1/200th, I am wondering if the remote flash unit is only a 1/200th or lower set off.

Peter
Some triggers arent capable of syncing at the camera's full speed. Others tend not to keep up when the batteries are low. By any chance are you using batteries that shipped with the triggers? Often those are demo batteries and tend to be a problem. As for sync speeds, indoors with flash as your primary light source you wont seen any difference in the image between 1/250 and 1/160 so feel free to slow it down a bit.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2012 (Tue)   #11
feral1

Quote:
What was your shutter speed on the good shots versus the bad shots? If it's just a darker bar at the bottom like your posted shot, then in all likelihood it is due to too fast of a shutter speed. If the whole image looks dull/underexposed then it is more than likely the unit wasn't recharged. Take a look, it should show estimated recycle time somewhere and there should be a ready light on the strobe as well.
Thanks for your reply, My shutter speeds were the same, I waited for the re-charge buzzer before taking another shot, I am waiting for the time to test a few more things, plus going to get a new battery for the camera unit. I have tried a few different things, but the last couple of days cant seem to get some one to sit in front of the camera.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephur View Post
I think the syncing speed is really the issue with the strobes. Not being fully charged before firing again would caused dimmer light across the entire exposure, but not the dark banding at the bottom. 1/250 is probably higher than the wireless trigger can support, I've got some inexpensive strobes and use Yongnuo 603 triggers. I def run into the same problem when shooting at or near the max shutter sync speed.
I think the sync speed is 1/200th on these strobes, I will keep the sync at that or lower to do a better test, the batteries in the reciever are new but the trigger is what it came with, so will re-new that one as well.

Thanks for your feed back.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
Some triggers arent capable of syncing at the camera's full speed. Others tend not to keep up when the batteries are low. By any chance are you using batteries that shipped with the triggers? Often those are demo batteries and tend to be a problem. As for sync speeds, indoors with flash as your primary light source you wont seen any difference in the image between 1/250 and 1/160 so feel free to slow it down a bit.
Thanks for your feed back, I have decided to change the trigger battery asap, the receiver has new batteries, I think I am going to keep the SS at and below 1/200th to see what happens as to the dark band and brighter images.
Thanks shall keep you all informed as to how it goes.

Peter
Old 17th of July 2012 (Tue)   #12
Ephur

Also, not all things work as advertised. The only time I could get my 52II to sync at 1/200 was with a canon flash attached to the hot shoe, any other time best I could do was 1/160.

When I was first banging my head into this issue I did some consultation of my dear friend google, and found that many folks had (and still have) similar issues with this camera.
Ephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of July 2012 (Tue)   #13
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral1 View Post

I think the sync speed is 1/200th on these strobes, I will keep the sync at that or lower to do a better test, the batteries in the reciever are new but the trigger is what it came with, so will re-new that one as well.
Just to be clear there is no sync speed for strobes, or for triggers for that matter. The max sync speed is determined by the camera, its the shortest duration that your entire sensor is exposed at one time. Some triggers cannot keep up with your camera's max sync speed either because of the delay in processing the signal or battery issues described above.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2012 (Wed)   #14
feral1

I am going to sort this out, I have to in the next day or so get a battery for the trigger, I shall be then going set it up and trying all the info you all have supplied, Then hopefully I shall find a work around or if most is my doing .
I shall get to this on Sunday sometime, as on Saturday, I have an outing in the bush, after bird life with a few other people.

Thanks shall keep you informed.

Peter