Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 18 Jul 2012 (Wednesday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My second wedding shoot

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 20, 2012 13:35 |  #16

You need to be aware of DoF, it's not as simple as one setting, unfortunately.

When it comes to processing style, find something that works for you and stick to it. There are several different 'looks' on the shots and on your earlier stuff even more. I'm no great photographer, but if you look at one of my blog postings you'll see how the shots work as a group in a way yours don't. I use the same processing method for all my shots.

You really need to understand your metering, it's obvious to all the photographers here that some of those shots have been pulled and some have been pushed. My usual method is to lock exposure on a neutral area and shoot AV. Shooting AV gives me fingertip control of the DoF and locking exposure is quicker to me than shooting M.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 20, 2012 13:38 |  #17

mike_311 wrote in post #14744436 (external link)

as i said earlier, its much better to get focus and crisp shots than subject isolation, you can add that later, you can remove blur, at least not yet.

it's very rare for me to do this, but.

This is the only bad advice here. Adding OOF backgrounds is at best a waste of time and at worst it looks awful. Just learn how to use the gear properly.

Sorry Mike.:)

Gear List

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 20, 2012 13:43 |  #18

@liverpool 1: I scrolled down your blog to the 'Lisa and Craig' shoot and noticed several of your photos have the wrong aspect ratio on at least my setup (can anyone verify ?)--so many of the photos are stretched and look odd. Do you not notice this ? Have you looked at those photos ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 20, 2012 16:39 |  #19

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #14745406 (external link)
@liverpool 1: I scrolled down your blog to the 'Lisa and Craig' shoot and noticed several of your photos have the wrong aspect ratio on at least my setup (can anyone verify ?)--so many of the photos are stretched and look odd. Do you not notice this ? Have you looked at those photos ?

Ye sorry they where video screen shots!!

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 20, 2012 16:51 |  #20

Phil V wrote in post #14745377 (external link)
You need to be aware of DoF, it's not as simple as one setting, unfortunately.

When it comes to processing style, find something that works for you and stick to it. There are several different 'looks' on the shots and on your earlier stuff even more. I'm no great photographer, but if you look at one of my blog postings you'll see how the shots work as a group in a way yours don't. I use the same processing method for all my shots.

You really need to understand your metering, it's obvious to all the photographers here that some of those shots have been pulled and some have been pushed. My usual method is to lock exposure on a neutral area and shoot AV. Shooting AV gives me fingertip control of the DoF and locking exposure is quicker to me than shooting M.

Advice taken, small shoot today low key more time and did av most of day. Full manual at speeches with lovely fill bounce light. Weather good and even. Enjoyed today, post soon

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 20, 2012 17:04 |  #21

Keyan wrote in post #14742201 (external link)
I wouldn't do any most of the time, but that is just me..

What focus point are you using with the 100?

I am on spot metering focusing on the eyes.

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 20, 2012 17:24 |  #22

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14746288 (external link)
I am on spot metering focusing on the eyes.

Spot metering is going to take your readings all over the place if you're not careful what you're metering off very carefully (and from those samples, your metering is all over the place).

With spot metering and a shallow DoF, you really are trusting that your technique should be spot on.

I'd leave those settings for something safer until your technique is perfect.

Gear List

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 21, 2012 00:42 |  #23

Phil V wrote in post #14746366 (external link)
Spot metering is going to take your readings all over the place if you're not careful what you're metering off very carefully (and from those samples, your metering is all over the place).

With spot metering and a shallow DoF, you really are trusting that your technique should be spot on.

I'd leave those settings for something safer until your technique is perfect.

Ok thanks Phil cheers

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 21, 2012 05:17 |  #24

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14747756 (external link)
Ok thanks Phil cheers

No worries, it's easy to get sucked into forum logic when the real world is a very different place.

I shoot with a 20d as one of my options, almost always AV, almost always eval and exposure lock. The key is knowing what results your technique will deliver. Someone else's technique is a starting point if you understand the technical limitations.

Forums are full of people telling me that I need a 5d III, to shoot manual and spot meter if I want high quality consistent results.

The reality is that most people regurgitating this BS have online galleries full of slightly OOF shots of their cat or dog.:rolleyes:

Gear List

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 21, 2012 10:58 |  #25

That makes sense cheers phil

sponsored links

3,365 views & 0 likes for this thread
My second wedding shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.