Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 21 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio portrait w/ before & after retouching

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 21, 2012 17:00 |  #1

Had a chance to get a nice headshot of Noa while she was in my studio the other day for a commercial shoot. I thought I'd share the before and after shots that included closeups of my retouching work.

original image, SOOC:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Original (external link) by jk@ebs (external link), on Flickr

retouching before and after. In addition to the "normal" stuff, I paid special attention to correcting some of the blotchiness under the eyes; it's not perfect but it's pretty good. I also reworked the shadows and highlights on the nose to get rid of the little bump that was there:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

retouch (external link) by jk@ebs (external link), on Flickr

final image:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Noa (external link) by jk@ebs (external link), on Flickr

joe

sponsored links
Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 21, 2012 17:06 |  #2

final shot looks great - I love the subtle texture you added around her... very nicely done!

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 21, 2012 17:09 |  #3

Nice retouching work. I like the skin texture, quite nice.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 21, 2012 22:03 |  #4

Top notch work.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,092 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 21, 2012 22:44 |  #5

Very nice job. Doesn't look "overdone" or anything at all, it's just right. I think you should have retouched the skin just above both eyelids a bit more, there's still the bumpy texture.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

AAphotog
828 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jul 22, 2012 01:05 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I thought the first image was a final shot... until I scrolled down.
Looks like she has pretty good skin.

nice work on your part as well especially the choice of background.

5d3, 50mm 1.4, 70-200mm F4 L, 17-40mm F4 L
But hey, they say it's not the gear right:rolleyes:

pstyle1
317 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 22, 2012 04:13 |  #7

any tutorials on how to process a background like that?

5D MkIII x2 + a lot of L's.
www.facebook.com/Peyma​nRazaviPhotography (external link)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,092 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 22, 2012 05:30 |  #8

pstyle1 wrote in post #14751253 (external link)

You'll need photoshop. It's simply getting a picture with a texture on it and placing it on a separate layer as the portrait. Set the blend mode to whatever looks best (depends on the texture). It'll add the texture to the entire portrait. Now you add a mask and make it completely white. Use a soft edge brush, color black, and paint over the model to remove the texture from her. the OP kept some of the texture on the outer edges of the model, and it looks nice to me.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,258 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 22, 2012 08:12 |  #9

Beautiful work, and thanks for posting this. I would like to see more instructional posts about skin work.

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/rj2_photoconce​pts/ (external link)flickr (external link)

soccer13
49 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 22, 2012 10:37 |  #10

Brilliant.

I am here to Learn...

charro ­ callado
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 22, 2012 17:05 |  #11

Andrushka wrote in post #14749709 (external link)
final shot looks great - I love the subtle texture you added around her... very nicely done!

Thanks! I use textures from Lost and Taken (http://lostandtaken.co​m (external link)). If you download some don't forget to donate :cool:

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14749714 (external link)
Nice retouching work. I like the skin texture, quite nice.

Thanks, getting skin to look like that takes a long time. I probably spent about 90 mins on skin alone. Often zoomed in at 400-600%.

Seamus69 wrote in post #14750484 (external link)
Top notch work.

Thanks!

fashionrider wrote in post #14750592 (external link)
Very nice job. Doesn't look "overdone" or anything at all, it's just right. I think you should have retouched the skin just above both eyelids a bit more, there's still the bumpy texture.

Some of that is some caked makeup, but yeah, I probably could have reduced some of that.

AAphotog wrote in post #14750944 (external link)
I thought the first image was a final shot... until I scrolled down.
Looks like she has pretty good skin.

nice work on your part as well especially the choice of background.

She does have amazing skin, and she also had a really great makeup job.

pstyle1 wrote in post #14751253 (external link)

fashionrider wrote in post #14751326 (external link)
You'll need photoshop. It's simply getting a picture with a texture on it and placing it on a separate layer as the portrait. Set the blend mode to whatever looks best (depends on the texture). It'll add the texture to the entire portrait. Now you add a mask and make it completely white. Use a soft edge brush, color black, and paint over the model to remove the texture from her. the OP kept some of the texture on the outer edges of the model, and it looks nice to me.

Pretty much covered it; just as a caveat though: simply erasing texture will also erase any color in that layer. This particular texture had a nice color that I wanted to keep, so I simply blurred out the area that was layered over the model. A gaussian blur set to 250px destroys the texture but leaves the color intact.

russ71satellite wrote in post #14751563 (external link)
Beautiful work, and thanks for posting this. I would like to see more instructional posts about skin work.

Thanks; I use my own version of what most professionals call "frequency separation." There are a ton of great youtube tutorials out there on it. Be warned though, it's not really a magic bullet. It's just a tool that allows a greater degree of precision. Expect to invest anywhere from 45-90 minutes retouching skin to get these kinds of results on a close headshot like this.

soccer13 wrote in post #14751998 (external link)
Brilliant.

Cheers!

Mtn4Mike
116 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 22, 2012 19:48 |  #12

charro callado wrote in post #14753415 (external link)
Pretty much covered it; just as a caveat though: simply erasing texture will also erase any color in that layer. This particular texture had a nice color that I wanted to keep, so I simply blurred out the area that was layered over the model. A gaussian blur set to 250px destroys the texture but leaves the color intact.

You can also use the Spot Healing Tool, NOT the Healing Tool. Open a separate blank image and fill it with a color. I pick a color similar to the area to be worked on but it's not critical. Have both windows open next to each other. Pick your sample spot on the solid color image then work on your photo to get rid of the texture. The Spot Healing Tool gets rid of texture while leaving the color alone.

Mike
7D, 10-22mm | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.8 | 430EX II x2| 580EX II | Modifiers

charro ­ callado
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 22, 2012 19:52 |  #13

Mtn4Mike wrote in post #14753993 (external link)
You can also use the Spot Healing Tool, NOT the Healing Tool. Open a separate blank image and fill it with a color. I pick a color similar to the area to be worked on but it's not critical. Have both windows open next to each other. Pick your sample spot on the solid color image then work on your photo to get rid of the texture. The Spot Healing Tool gets rid of texture while leaving the color alone.

True, yeah that will also work.

tommiebao
37 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 23, 2012 01:41 |  #14

very nice work, I need more practice on shadows and highlights, love your PP

AvailableLight
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2012 08:01 |  #15

Wow, Joe. Just excellent. Love it!

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

sponsored links

3,918 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio portrait w/ before & after retouching
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.