Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

EOS M officially announced

Geejay
Joined Mar 2007
North-West, Blighty
Jul 23, 2012 05:43 |  #76

Probably a stupid question, but does it still have a focal plane shutter?

You can't erase a dream, you can only wake me up.

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Jul 23, 2012 05:49 |  #77

The more I read about this little guy, the more I like it!

I see it more of a complement to a dSLR Canon owner with a bevy of lenses who wants a more compact/portable solution without buying a new system and still benefiting from all the pluses of a big sensor.
See it as buying a shrunken T4i for those "on the go" moments.
I'm sold. Do they make them in orange? :D

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

ppucci
376 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Brazil
Jul 23, 2012 05:53 |  #78

AlanU wrote in post #14755382external link
35mm equiv is not wide enough for me

Yeah, I found that out with my X100...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (gripped) | Canon EOS Rebel 2000 (EOS 300) Film SLR | Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 430EXII | Canon SX210 IS | Fujifilm X100
Flickr
external link

ppucci
376 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Brazil
Jul 23, 2012 05:56 |  #79

Just adding my 2c, I fel like I will sell my x100 when Canon releases the "pro" version of the EOS M camera. It has been mentioned that the first one would be aimed to mass market. Maybe the "better" version (hard to call it pro, actually) will have EVF and the quirks like the x100.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II (gripped) | Canon EOS Rebel 2000 (EOS 300) Film SLR | Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 430EXII | Canon SX210 IS | Fujifilm X100
Flickr
external link

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,537 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...
Jul 23, 2012 05:58 |  #80

The EOS M utilizes Canon’s Hybrid CMOS AF system to deliver fast autofocus speed for both video and photos. The Hybrid CMOS AF system truly shines when shooting video with EOS Full HD Movie mode including Movie Servo AF for continuous autofocus and tracking of moving subjects. The Hybrid CMOS AF system is located on the CMOS sensor itself and combines phase-difference AF and contrast AF to achieve operational stability, speed and precision. The Movie Servo AF function on the EOS M is enabled by default which keeps images on the rear screen in constant focus, even before the shutter is pressed. This continual focus makes for sharp video capture in a snap or to help reduce shutter lag due to focusing when still images want to be shot.

That's from Canon's official release. I expect the tech writer to be fired and an official retraction statement due to the false nature of these sentences.

AngryCorgiexternal link (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
Jul 23, 2012 06:02 |  #81

PandaSPUR wrote in post #14755646external link
The only thing slightly interesting about this camera, to me, is the Hybrid AF...

What was Canon thinking with that kind of price? Hoping their name alone can sell the product?

Sheesh. I'll stick with my m4/3 for a compact backup. Cause honestly... I wouldnt want to use ANY of my EF lenses with a body that small, makes no sense. My Sigma 50 and Samyang 14 belong on cameras like my 5D :P

I think they're hoping that people with EF/EF-S lenses will buy this little guy and think "sweet, I'll just buy the adapter, and don't have to buy two different lens systems". Of course, without the EVF, 90% of EF lenses would handle like absolute crap on this body.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

kdrk888
404 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Maryland, USA
Jul 23, 2012 06:03 |  #82

AngryCorgi wrote in post #14755549external link
What are you talking about? I'm essentially pulling off this feat every day I wear pants! :lol:

the f4?:lol:

Douglas
Canon, Nikon, Sony. Too many gears, too little time.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Jul 23, 2012 06:04 |  #83

AngryCorgi wrote in post #14755708external link
That's from Canon's official release. I expect the tech writer to be fired and an official retraction statement due to the false nature of these sentences.

how much AF points though?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickrexternal link

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Jul 23, 2012 06:21 |  #84

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14755712external link
I think they're hoping that people with EF/EF-S lenses will buy this little guy and think "sweet, I'll just buy the adapter, and don't have to buy two different lens systems". Of course, without the EVF, 90% of EF lenses would handle like absolute crap on this body.

Are you referring from an ergonomic standpoint? Like lenses will just feel weird holding them up with an LCD instead of viewfinder?

I would otherwise agree, but I guess as inventive photographers, we would find a way that works for us, right? :p

That said, it would depend on your use as opposed the the lens itself. Of course, it won't be like an SLR at all, but if you used a tripod a lot, or were intending it for video, the lenses would still be fine.

WireWess
160 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Holland!
Jul 23, 2012 06:23 |  #85

So curious if manual mode is available in video mode, anyone knows? :)

My RAZZIexternal link && Flickrexternal link

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008
South Korea / Canada
Jul 23, 2012 06:25 |  #86

mrkgoo wrote in post #14755734external link
Are you referring from an ergonomic standpoint? Like lenses will just feel weird holding them up with an LCD instead of viewfinder?

Yes...I can't imagine putting my 16-35L II on a body roughly the size of my S100 and then having to look at the screen while taking the picture...it may work well with the lighter lenses (Pancake, Nifty Fifty) and the EF-M lenses, but for the majority of EF lenses, the ones that may be kind of fun on it...I can't see it handling well.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=-external link
-=Facebook=-external link
-=Flickr=-external link

-=Gear=-

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Jul 23, 2012 06:34 |  #87

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14755739external link
Yes...I can't imagine putting my 16-35L II on a body roughly the size of my S100 and then having to look at the screen while taking the picture...it may work well with the lighter lenses (Pancake, Nifty Fifty) and the EF-M lenses, but for the majority of EF lenses, the ones that may be kind of fun on it...I can't see it handling well.

I've thought about it, and wide angles I think I'd be ok with. Anything with IS, sure. Telephotos are obviously an issue.

I think it is an issue worth considering in general, but then, like I said, it will be a different camera with a different purpose. One that in a jiffy can be used in certain ways that might be awkward but are at least possible. To think of it in a way you would consider an SLR is not being imaginative enough.

Of course, doing the opposite and NOT considering how it can be a hinderance will also be short-sighted.

I just want it as a point and shoot (with 22 mm f/2 prime) that can double as a an SLR back if needed. It's kind of expensive for that though...like I could just buy a Point and shoot.

As an aside, I like the design. I love the look of the S95 and S100, so it would go without saying I'd like this. I would use it as a simple camera, so appreciate simple controls.

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Jul 23, 2012 06:42 |  #88

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14755739external link

My idea of using this little guy is to:
a) put my 10-22mm on it (with the adapter of course)
2) aperture at f/8
3) hyperfocal distance of 0.67m (focuses 0.33m to infinity at 10mm, 1.3m to infinity at 22mm)
4) MF,
5) frame the shot on the LCD and shoot away.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

Nismode
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2010
NYC
Jul 23, 2012 06:43 |  #89

WireWess wrote in post #14755736external link
So curious if manual mode is available in video mode, anyone knows? :)

"Though the camera lacks certain direct controls, it still supports full manual shooting, even in video mode."

http://www.engadget.co​m ...-eos-m-mirrorless-camera/external link

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D|80D|EOS M5|Mavic Pro
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ18-35 f/1.8 Art|17-40 f/4L|50 f/1.8 STM|Σ85|100L
Godox AD-600|Godox AD-200|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

jmark252
127 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Montgomery, AL
Jul 23, 2012 07:37 |  #90

Anyone besides me bugged by no viewfinder to look through.I guess I'm a traditionalist.

sponsored links

98,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M officially announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.