Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Wildlife Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #1
Edd S

Default Headed to Yellowstone - Now Taking Your Advice

Hello All,

I am headed to Yellowstone National Park for five days in early June. Just to give you an idea of my setup, I have a 7d with 17-55, 70-200, 100-400, and 600mm lenses (and accompanying tripods, etc.).

This will be my first time going, so I would appreciate any advice you have on photographing the wildlife at Yellowstone. I have experience photographing eagles and other birds in my area, but that's about it.

Thanks,

- Edd S.
Edd S is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #2
jjackflash
"I MISSED THE STRIPPERS"

Default Re: Headed to Yellowstone - Now Taking Your Advice

try this wolf link

http://www.ylwstone.com/wolfwatching.html
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #3
MCAsan
Goldmember

Before you go see if you get a 10-22 for the wide shots in Lamar Valley and on the hills above the thermals. There really is a difference in 10mm vs 17/18 on a cropper. I would also have a 1.4TC for use with the 600 to be able to shoot across Lamar Valley and other locations.
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
MCAsan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #4
Edd S

Thanks for the thoughts.

I forgot to mention that I also have a Tokina 11-16, so wide angles should be taken care of. I also have a 1.4 Kenko TC.
Edd S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of May 2012 (Fri)   #5
MCAsan
Goldmember

Great! You are loaded for bear.......wolves, elk, bison...etc. Have a great time!!!!
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
MCAsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of May 2012 (Fri)   #6
sweetlu60

Is there something specific you are looking for? A great place to get detailed information and the latest sitings is www.yellowstone.net and check out their forums.

I love finding bear and spend a lot of time on Mt. Washburn, although, I saw a note that the superintendent may start fully enforcing the 100 yard limit. It used to be that as long as the bear approached you, at least depending on the district, you were OK. If you approach the bear, whole different story.

Have fun and PM me if you have any logistics questions or specific questions.
Old 25th of May 2012 (Fri)   #7
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

I have a personal 100 yd limit with bear. LOL
I wouldnt stick around if a bear approached me. slowly leave.

it appears that the OP has a great setup for the trip. all focal lengths that are likely to be used are covered. Have fun.
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #8
Bigsquashbuggy

Bring bear spray and know how to use it if you're going into the back country. Gear wise, it sounds like you're ready. And as others have mentioned, check some of the online forums in the days prior to your trip. Have fun!

Henrik

It doesn't mean you should just because you can.
Bigsquashbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2012 (Sun)   #9
RikWriter
Goldmember

If you want as many opportunities as possible with as many different animals as possible, drive. Drive a LOT. Network and find out from the other photographers what animals are hanging out where and when and be there as often as possible. Get up at least an hour before dawn (preferably more) and get to where you want to be before sunrise. Take off around 10:30 or 11 and go nap/eat lunch/relax or maybe go hike a trail if you feel like it. Then by about 3PM or so, get back on the road and get to your target area.
My philosophy is to get a read on what's going on where then stick to one area of the park for a day. For instance, if a black bear sow with cubs is in Tower and that's what I want to do, I will spend the whole day cruising the Tower area, or perhaps the morning in Tower and then the afternoon in Little America.
If you don't have a read on where things are, drive. Go from Cooke City to Lake in a day if you have to, to get a read on what is hanging out where. Then, if the Canyon Pack is crossing at the junction every morning, you know to be there. Or if the Mollies are near the road in the early morning at Little America, you know to be there.
As a rule, you can find grizzlies more often in the Dunraven area in summer as they like to go high when it gets hot.

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwriter
RikWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2012 (Sun)   #10
Maureen Souza
Ms. Moderator

We just got back. I either shot wide or shot long. Wolves in Lamar Valley are at the northeast end and a bit elusive unless you go out at the crack of dawn or at dusk. We saw lots of bears between Madison and Mammoth, some right on the road or right off the road and pretty close. When we were there 2 years ago in May we saw quite a few bear in the same area... mostly black bears but a couple of grizzly. I used the 300mm/f4 lens for all my wildlife except the bison. Scenery I shot wide.

5DIII x2
Canon Lenses:
50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0,
300/f4, 24-70!
Pro1
Maureen Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #11
Doc4659

I'm headed up the end of Sept. for 10 days.
Can't wait to get back in the fresh air and awesome scenery.
Looking forward to shooting in some of my old haunts again.
Doc4659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #12
sweetlu60

Yeah, I am happy because I am just finishing the planning on a trip up there for the end of September. At least 11 days in the park if not more.
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #13
huntersdad
Goldmember

Biggest advice I would give someone going to there or GTNP - slow down. Don't rush through the parks - drive slow, enjoy the air, the view, the openness. This is how you see the wildlife and those magic photos.

1Dx, 1D4, 24-70, 70-200, 600II, 1.4x
huntersdad is offline   Reply With Quote