Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 30 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 22:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding experience

cristphoto
819 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Maryland
Jul 07, 2012 08:51 |  #16

You may look into local universities Chapels. Typically these are the school's non-denominational public facilities that are used on weekends for weddings. I've shot weddings in them before and they just cycle weddings through (in season) on a pretty tight schedule. You could simply "invite" yourself to stay at one for the day and witness several weddings and observe how the photographers work. Simply be courteous and stay out of their way. Witnessing serveral photographers and their work style is helpful but realize it's no substitute for real world experience. Good luck.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

sponsored links
cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Jul 08, 2012 00:17 |  #17

I contacted one photog and she said I could follow her for a corporate shoot and she'd charge me "only" $50 for the experience.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Gomar
525 posts
Joined Sep 2010
NYC
Jul 08, 2012 10:51 |  #18

jamiewexler wrote in post #14662440external link
Your other option is to do it the way I did it...shoot free weddings for people who can't afford a photographer.

Right. Just make sure you have a contract which states you will NOT be sued for poor quality shots, missed shots, etc.
Is printing on you as well? Or do you just deliver the CDs of photos?

Free = bad.
Now if client has no jack to pay for a photog, he/she cant expect high quality work with a $2500 SLR. I am sure a Canon SX50 will do.
BTW, how's the wedding then payed for? free photog will mean free caterers, why not a free priest, or a free hall, or free dresses?
Oh, wait, guests will give "donations".

ByTheBrooke
137 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Florence, AL
Jul 10, 2012 02:01 |  #19

Gomar wrote in post #14687362external link
Right. Just make sure you have a contract which states you will NOT be sued for poor quality shots, missed shots, etc.

Free = bad.
Now if client has no jack to pay for a photog, he/she cant expect high quality work with a $2500 SLR. I am sure a Canon SX50 will do.
BTW, how's the wedding then payed for? free photog will mean free caterers, why not a free priest, or a free hall, or free dresses?

You're pretty crass and cold in all of your postings, aren't you? I did all of the work for both of my weddings, costing me very little out of pocket. Heck the second one was at a wedding chapel with no guests. I bargain shopped for the attire, purchased the flowers half off at Hobby Lobby and arranged them myself, made the food, with the help of family, and the list goes on. Not every wedding has an extravagant budget. I would have been thrilled with even snapshots from a point and shoot at my second wedding. Instead, I have what I could shoot myself with my then 35mm SLR.

Why not try to think outside of your own skin for once instead of being a jerk to everyone who doesn't see things your way?

OP- Craigslist is FULL of postings of people offering very cheap and even free packages with the sole intent of gaining experience and building portfolios. Just be sure that you are up front with your clients about your experience and skill level, and cover your rear with a contract that states you are providing free or discounted services and are not liable for the client's dissatisfaction. If they're still willing to hire you with that kind of liability, then they are likely in the same boat I was, and just need someone to document the event and will be thrilled with anything you present to them.

Brooke
Gripped 7D, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Canon 100 2.8mm Macro, etc etc.... I just love to shoot!

sgtbueno
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined May 2012
Richmond, VA
Jul 10, 2012 11:56 |  #20

Thank you ByTheBrooke, dont worry about some comments, I take comments like I take baseball, you catch some balls and you let some pass by.

Hey I spoke to a local photog, I offered him to pay for some classes, he agreed, will teach me for 4 days, 2 hours per day for $200, we are going to go over the basics and then some practice in the field, this guys is a really nice guys, I know I could learn tons of stuff from him, been doing photographic for over 40 years now and he own a very nice studio here in Richmond.

I may continue taking clases with him, we spent few hours just taking about gear and photographic at his studio last saturday, he is just the right person for me.

Thank you all for your time.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photographyexternal link -- Facebookexternal link
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

ByTheBrooke
137 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Florence, AL
Jul 10, 2012 12:21 |  #21

Sounds like a great match! Good luck!

Brooke
Gripped 7D, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Canon 100 2.8mm Macro, etc etc.... I just love to shoot!

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Jul 10, 2012 13:08 |  #22

Gomar wrote in post #14687362external link

Free = bad.

Not everyone has a budget for a photographer or even cares that much about photography. I gave my sister a camera for my wedding and said. Do the best you can.

Some people use their back yards and public areas for weddings too.

You area right about a disclaimer and I have that in my contract. I also am covered for that in my insurance.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sgtbueno
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined May 2012
Richmond, VA
Jul 19, 2012 13:03 |  #23

Posted my ad last night on Craiglist and emails from people that need budget or free photographer for their wedding are raining. I got to weddings , one as second shooter and another as first shooter.
Will post result and pictures after weddings. :) I am happy.

Wedding Photography by Felix Bueno Photographyexternal link -- Facebookexternal link
1x Canon 5DIII - 2X Canon 5D Mark II - Sigma 35 1.4 - Sigma 50 1.4 - Sigma 85 1.4 - Canon 85 1.2 - Canon 100L IS - Canon 135L F2 - Canon 16-35L II - Canon 70-200 2.8 II IS - 6X YN600EX-RT -Canon 580EX II X 2- Canon 430EX II X3- Yongnuo YN-565EX - and tons of Radio Poppers :)

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Jul 19, 2012 18:36 |  #24

I 'shadowed' a wedding photographer once - my own!

I got to see first hand how he worked, what gear he used etc. Obviously it wasn't comprehensive, but I got an idea how he worked.

Them I shot a wedding as a favour to a friend after that, which I never would have done without at least my own experience. And as mentioned not everyone can afford pro photographers for their wedding. For sure, there is a huge proponent o people who understimate the stresses of wedding photography, and thus undervalue it, but that doesn't mean there's always less value to 'cheaper' photographers. People have to start out somewhere and so long as the expectations are mutually understood by all parties I don't see te problem with bein paid in 'experience'.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting one should get married to get weddin photography experience, but it foes provide an opportunity :p. You could always just become a wedding gatecrasher too :)

sgtbueno
THREAD ­ STARTER
807 posts
Joined May 2012
Richmond, VA
Jul 19, 2012 22:07 |  #25

You know whats really funny, as soon as I placed my comment here this afternoon about my ad on craiglist my ad at got flagged and removed.

It was nothing wrong or illegal, but haters are everywhere, no big deal, they will not stop me.

ByTheBrooke
137 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Florence, AL
Jul 28, 2012 02:36 |  #26

sgtbueno wrote in post #14742502external link
You know whats really funny, as soon as I placed my comment here this afternoon about my ad on craiglist my ad at got flagged and removed.

It was nothing wrong or illegal, but haters are everywhere, no big deal, they will not stop me.

Just make sure you're posting it in the services section, not the for sale or community section ;) otherwise, you can be that the competition can be pretty snarky and vindictive! Whether it's those who are shooting in auto, knowing nothing about the art of photography trying to make a quick buck, or more experienced photographers trying to weed out those phonies. Haters gonna hate, for sure ;) just keep relisting!

Brooke

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Jul 28, 2012 07:54 |  #27

sgtbueno wrote in post #14742502external link

Yes but haters will make it more difficult.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,401 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding experience
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.