Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of August 2012 (Sun)   #16
TheNewLegend

Default Re: 10stops ND filter

I dont think that longer exposure will change something,

Thats a photo that I took with the filter..
Old 5th of August 2012 (Sun)   #17
S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.

When ever I shoot with my 9stop filter i always go into manual mode, no tv or av modes, i find the camera does really do that good at calculating exposure time with the higher stop ND filters. Manual mode, f8, iso 200-400 maybe even 100 and around a 15-25seconds shutter is where I might start out at and make adjustments on the exposure time and iso only.

But keep in mid that the 10-22mm @10mm is crazy wide so it might be that have you tried 15mm or even 20mm? Does it do this at all focal lengths on that lens?

My 17-40 @ 17mm

Exif data:
Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Lens: EF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length: 17mm
Focus Distance: 3.72m
Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Time: 10.000 s
ISO equiv: 50
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)

one more

Exif Data:
Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Lens: EF17-40mm f/4L USM
Focal Length: 32mm
Focus Distance: Infinite
Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Time: 25.000 s
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)

-Sevan
Old 5th of August 2012 (Sun)   #18
Colorblinded
Goldmember

I have the hoya 9 stop nd400. It's coated whereas the B+W isn't unless something has changed in recent years.
Colorblinded is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of August 2012 (Sun)   #19
koffikapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblinded View Post
I have the hoya 9 stop nd400. It's coated whereas the B+W isn't unless something has changed in recent years.
The B+W 10-stop does indeed have coated variants: http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/bwnd.html
koffikapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of August 2012 (Sun)   #20
TheNewLegend

I need it especially for 10mm wide angle.
These photos looks amazing, well done.
It seems that you doesnt have any vignetting at all, are these photos are cropped?
I kept an eye on this filter - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...#ht_2957wt_931
maybe it wont have vignetting because it is a slim filter?

And again, thanks for the help guys.
Old 5th of August 2012 (Sun)   #21
Colorblinded
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffikapp View Post
The B+W 10-stop does indeed have coated variants: http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/bwnd.html
That's good then. My friend got one of the uncoated ones years ago and I never did find any coated ones at the time.
Colorblinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2012 (Mon)   #22
S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewLegend View Post
It seems that you doesnt have any vignetting at all, are these photos are cropped?
Thanks, here are the Raw unedited converted straight to jpeg at 1000px long side.

Sevan
Old 6th of August 2012 (Mon)   #23
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiundar View Post
I've been looking into one as well, but I'm too cheap to do it properly :P. That, and I'm a student, so I've been heavily considering this:

http://www.diyphotography.net/use-we...tops-nd-filter

I called Ace and Home Depot, and neither of them seem to carry welding glass on its own, however. But they do sell it on Amazon for about 10 bucks, so I'm thinking of picking it up on there.

Instead of welding glass, I think i'd just stack 2-3 cheap 3x ND

For example,on ebay cheap chinese 77mm ND8 (3 stops) filters are less than $4. Get them bigger than your lens and use a step up ring so you don't get vignetting when stacking.

You could also buy a no-name Cokin holder for a few bucks (which normally come with 3 filter slots) and buy 3 generic COkin ND8 filters. Those are under $3 on ebay. NO rubber bands or goofy head drape needed. You can also vary the strength by using 1, 2 or 3 filters at once.

Yes they are cheap low grade filters, but at least they aren't dark green like the welders mask.

Last edited by tkbslc : 6th of August 2012 (Mon) at 02:31.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2012 (Mon)   #24
baj2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbslc View Post
Instead of welding glass, I think i'd just stack 2-3 cheap 3x ND

For example,on ebay cheap chinese 77mm ND8 (3 stops) filters are less than $4. Get them bigger than your lens and use a step up ring so you don't get vignetting when stacking.

You could also buy a no-name Cokin holder for a few bucks (which normally come with 3 filter slots) and buy 3 generic COkin ND8 filters. Those are under $3 on ebay. NO rubber bands or goofy head drape needed. You can also vary the strength by using 1, 2 or 3 filters at once.

Yes they are cheap low grade filters, but at least they aren't dark green like the welders mask.
And you'll end up with a horrible magenta cast to your shots. That's why people pay $160 and wait for months for the Lee Big Stopper. Everything else will have it's own drawbacks...

My lenses are 82mm, 77mm, 72mm, 67mm, 58mm, & 52mm. So I'd have to buy the ultra expensive 82mm 9 or 10 stop round glass ND filter and a bunch of stepdown rings. That would end up costing as much or more than the Lee BS. So, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Lee.

Don't let the Marketplace "Sell" Forum Lee filter flippers turn you off to the Lee Big Stopper cause they're price gouging at $250 a pop. You can order one for around $155 and wait a month or two for it. It's about another $80 for the holder and then you're set with the best solution. Or do what some flippers are doing, order three for ~$450 and sell two at $230 each. You'll make $460 and that gives all your money back plus you'll still have $10 left to pay for shipping the Lee's you sold ($5 each for 2x Priority Mail packages). Then after the dust settles you'll get your Lee BS filter for free.
All for sale - PM me for info: Canon 17-40mm /4L (refurb) | Sigma 35mm /1.4 "Art" with USB Dock | Sigma 50mm /1.4 | Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 T* | Rokinon 24mm /1.4 | Canon EF 2x III (refurb)| Canon 580EX II | Giottos MM9170 Monopod | Manfrotto Mg MH054M0-Q2 Ballhead | BNIB Lee Big Stopper

Last edited by baj2k : 7th of August 2012 (Tue) at 20:51.
baj2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2012 (Tue)   #25
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

I know why people buy the big stopper, I'm just saying that for someone experimenting or unwilling to spend any real money on it, real chinese filters are better than welding glass.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2012 (Tue)   #26
Ori97

Quote:
Originally Posted by baj2k View Post
And you'll end up with a horrible magenta cast to your shots. That's why people pay $160 and wait for months for the Lee Big Stopper. Everything else will have it's own drawbacks...

My lenses are 82mm, 77mm, 72mm, 67mm, 58mm, & 52mm. So I'd have to buy the ultra expensive 82mm 9 or 10 stop round glass ND filter and a bunch of stepdown rings. That would end up costing as much or more than the Lee BS. So, I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Lee.

Don't let the Marketplace "Sell" Forum Lee filter flippers turn you off to the Lee Big Stopper cause they're price gouging at $250 a pop. You can order one for around $155 and wait a month or two for it. It's about another $80 for the holder and then you're set with the best solution. Or do what some flippers are doing, order three for $450 and sell two at $230 each. You'll make $460 and that gives all your money back plus you'll still have $10 left to pay for shipping the Lee's you sold ($5 each for 2x Priority Mail packages). Then after the dust settles you'll get your Lee BS filter for free.
Where can I order it in 155$ or 450$ for three?
Ori97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2012 (Tue)   #27
baj2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori97 View Post
Where can I order it in 155$ or 450$ for three?
FYI this symbol ~ means approximately, but here's where.

http://2filter.com/Leefilters/LeeBigStopperFilter.html
All for sale - PM me for info: Canon 17-40mm /4L (refurb) | Sigma 35mm /1.4 "Art" with USB Dock | Sigma 50mm /1.4 | Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 T* | Rokinon 24mm /1.4 | Canon EF 2x III (refurb)| Canon 580EX II | Giottos MM9170 Monopod | Manfrotto Mg MH054M0-Q2 Ballhead | BNIB Lee Big Stopper
baj2k is offline   Reply With Quote