Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 07 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 11:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fuzzy and soft videos from my 60D... Help?

killeraxemannic
226 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Colorado
Aug 07, 2012 11:50 |  #1

It seems like I am not getting as clear of videos out of my 60D as all the examples I have seen. I am getting better videos out of my Elph 300 HS and my Samsung Q10 camcorder.

Not sure what I am doing wrong with the 60D. I was on manual focus and zoomed in and focused as sharp as I could on the lead singer's guitar for this video. It still turned out fuzzy and a little bit blurry. Any idea how to get cleaner videos?

http://youtu.be/--aiDz4Q66Y?hd=1external link

Cameras: Canon EOS 60D, PowerShot Elph 330HS
Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG

sponsored links
weareallhypocrites
154 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Seattle, WA
Aug 07, 2012 13:18 |  #2

100mm on a 60d is about 160mm on a full frame. Maintaining focus becomes an issue unless you shoot with with a very deep depth of field. if your lens was wide open you probably had a few inches of depth of field and it is very easy to miss the mark on the focus. For situations like this you may need to bump up your iso and shoot f22.

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Aug 07, 2012 13:33 as a reply to weareallhypocrites's post |  #3

I have same camera same lens and same problem, it is sharp as hell that lens but its ok for me as i like the soft bokeh look behing my bride and groom and guests... For straight on shooting go to f11 where you should be a lot better with everything in focus rather than isolated subjects..

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Aug 07, 2012 15:11 |  #4

weareallhypocrites wrote in post #14826402external link
For situations like this you may need to bump up your iso and shoot f22.

no offense but that is terrible advice. at that aperture you are probably going to start losing sharpness in your image due to diffraction. going for a deeper dof is smart but f22 is not the best solution. honestly if you did in fact miss focus because your dof was too shallow even though im pretty sure your lens was focussed at infinity then shoot around f11 or at the smallest f16. at f16 you might start seeing some diffraction, i dont know that lens very well. but if you might need to not only get a tripod to help following focus but look into some ND filters if you find yourself getting really small apertures for situations like this. at 100mm f11 focussed to infinity your dof should be somewhere around 20 feet which is plenty to get a clean image

but like i said on OCN. covert your raw footage to prores or blueray and see if that doesnt change the quality and add some sharpening if needed. i dont know what your picture profile is but generally you will need to add some sharpening to DSLR footage most of the time unless you have it turned up in camera.

killeraxemannic
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Colorado
Aug 07, 2012 16:16 |  #5

Brian_R wrote in post #14826874external link
no offense but that is terrible advice. at that aperture you are probably going to start losing sharpness in your image due to diffraction. going for a deeper dof is smart but f22 is not the best solution. honestly if you did in fact miss focus because your dof was too shallow even though im pretty sure your lens was focussed at infinity then shoot around f11 or at the smallest f16. at f16 you might start seeing some diffraction, i dont know that lens very well. but if you might need to not only get a tripod to help following focus but look into some ND filters if you find yourself getting really small apertures for situations like this. at 100mm f11 focussed to infinity your dof should be somewhere around 20 feet which is plenty to get a clean image

but like i said on OCN. covert your raw footage to prores or blueray and see if that doesnt change the quality and add some sharpening if needed. i dont know what your picture profile is but generally you will need to add some sharpening to DSLR footage most of the time unless you have it turned up in camera.

Hahaha! You caught me! Thanks for your advice on the other forums! Figured I would ask here too. Anyways I experimented with F22 outside my house and it was pretty awful looking. I couldn't get anything sharp at all. Definitely going to try what you were saying about f11-f16.

Another question... What should I do if F16, and 1/60th are still overexposed the lowest ISO?

Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG

weareallhypocrites
154 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Seattle, WA
Aug 07, 2012 16:29 |  #6

@brianr no offense taken. i agree f22 is usually not the best solution but without knowing his distance and the fact that he looked like he was struggling with overexposure, i went for the flawed but possible . I'm not familiar with the lens but figured a prime lens would have less difraction than a zoom and therefore he may be able to get away with it. in retrospect, an ND filter would make more sense.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Aug 07, 2012 16:31 |  #7

ND filter but i doubt at ISO 100 f16 1/60 you are going to be crazy over exposed

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,933 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Dallas TX
Aug 07, 2012 16:36 |  #8

killeraxemannic wrote in post #14827118external link
Another question... What should I do if F16, and 1/60th are still overexposed the lowest ISO?

ND Filter

Also, the settings for your camera can effect it. Shooting with a flat style allows for more post work, but straight out of the camera can look uninspired. Sharpening can be added in post as well. Haven't looked at the video yet, so just throwing things out there.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Aug 07, 2012 17:40 |  #9

Buy the cinema profile by John hope, $19 only and excellent straight from the cam with a little touch up.
http://Vimeo.com//4674​7182external link

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Aug 07, 2012 20:23 |  #10

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14827510external link
Buy the cinema profile by John hope, $19 only and excellent straight from the cam with a little touch up.
http://Vimeo.com//4674​7182external link

yea... that still doesnt change that if you want your footage to be usable you are going to want to convert it to prores/blueray format in order to get all the detail out of those compressed files.

no way will 1 picture profile be the answer to OPs problem. honestly do what most everyone does and make your own custom profile in camera considering how incredibly easy it is. take sharpness all the way down and set the other settings to what effect you desire. then sharpen in post.

i have never seen footage straight out of a DSLR without being touched a tiny bit look totally fantastic. straight out of camera dslr video is amazing but the format and compression criples it a little but its by no means a lost cause but you really see the footage come to life with some pp

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Aug 08, 2012 01:49 as a reply to Brian_R's post |  #11

How do you sharpen Brian? steve

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Aug 08, 2012 07:49 |  #12

not sure what you are trying to ask exactly...

use a pencil sharpener. just explore your editing software sharpen will be somewhere under filters or video effects. more likely filers

killeraxemannic
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Colorado
Aug 08, 2012 11:37 |  #13

I use Vegas 10 and I can sharpen by clicking on the video track then right clicking and clicking on video FX and clicking on Sony Sharpen. Then it gives you a slider to determine the amount

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Aug 08, 2012 21:32 |  #14

yea that should work

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Aug 10, 2012 21:16 |  #15

Brian_R wrote in post #14833299external link
yea that should work

Now one!! Working in adobe prem 10 so will chech effects, never seen sharpen in there yet!

sponsored links

4,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuzzy and soft videos from my 60D... Help?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.