Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #1
rypson

Default Guide for models how to pose

Is there any video, or book, or website, or article, or anything... like that ?

I have few girls for pictures, they very good looking, very nice girls... they don't have much experience with modelling ad photography. Is there anything what can help them pose ? I want them to know what to do with nads, hairs, how to move head, how to smile, or how to look at the camera... There is two girls with some experience with modelling and they do great job helping other girls to pose, however... They are not at the session to learn others how to pose... any help ?? I wish to have something what I can send to show them, some "educational" material... yes I know as a photographer I should tell them what to do, but... you know what I'm talking about I can ask my model to do this and that, but I want her to play with me and camera....
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #2
dkizzle

Default Re: Guide for models how to pose

A friend of mine who is a pro fashion photographer gave me a PDF book that had a lot of model poses in it. It doesnt have any instructions, just picture of each pose.

I once shot an amateur girl and used it. I think the PDF is originally from some website that deals with modelling poses. Try searching on Google for "modelling poses pictures" or something similar.

Are you going to be shooting this in BK?
dkizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #3
meltoncub

Yup, for starters www.digital-photography-school.com had a series of "How to pose models" a while ago.

Flickr Photostream
meltoncub is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of August 2012 (Thu)   #4
rjx
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypson View Post
Is there any video, or book, or website, or article, or anything... like that ?
Yes, there are tons on google. Amazon also has books you might be interested in.

Also, you can search google images, and go on pro sites and save the images you like and organize them based on certain criteria such as posing, hair, makeup, etc. Study them, and try them on the shoot.

"they don't have much experience with modelling ad photography."
If this will be an advertising shoot, depending on the client and budget, you'd be better off getting experienced models.

"yes I know as a photographer I should tell them what to do, but... you know what I'm talking about"
It seems to me (sorry if i'm wrong) that you're inexperienced and not willing to learn crucial things for this type of photography.

"I can ask my model to do this and that, but I want her to play with me and camera...."
Understandable. But even big name photographers tell seasoned high end models how to pose for certain shots. They tell the models what they would like to see and the models try to do it and do some improvisation too.

Nothing wrong working with inexperienced models. But if you're a pro photographer accepting paid work, you better know how to communicate with your models.

“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”
rjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2012 (Thu)   #5
rypson

rjx you have absolutale no clue what I'm asking about....

You realle sent me to google images ?? I'm praying every day about someone who can close and never open again google images...

I'm asking for posing guide for models... not for advice how to run my business....

Last edited by rypson : 2nd of August 2012 (Thu) at 13:01.
rypson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2012 (Fri)   #6
AvailableLight

Like this?

http://digital-photography-school.co...-female-models
AvailableLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of August 2012 (Fri)   #7
johndoorley

You really want to rip on RJX?

YOU asked a question, RJX gave you an in depth response with some darn good advice, now you stamp your feet and whine that you only wanted certain advice about "you know".

If you want pro caliber models - call an agency, then check the references and portfolio of the model and pay them the asking fee.

A person aspiring to be a model will have done some research on how to take direction, but since they do not know what type of shoot they will be in on any one job they usually do not have a "set of moves", it is up to the photographer or creative genius to set the stage, get some beginning poses, then work with the model while the shoot progresses.

so in a nutshell to answer your "you know" - search on line, read the reviews and buy a book. Send said book to said model or model to be. See if you get the stellar result you want. If not try another book.

RJX - thank for your thoughtful reply!
johndoorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of August 2012 (Sat)   #8
staceyclarkephoto

My advice, which works well for me, Is to learn to pose yourself, then let them copy.

That way you don't have a ton of photos infront of you and girls going "oh my arm this way, leg this way" then they get an awkward face.

It's a lot easier if you're infront of them, do a pose and expression, and they automatically start to copy what you do, if it looks good, you take the shot, if not, you keep moving and they will keep moving.

keeps it fun and usually they get lots more confidence and at ease with just randomely moving themselves then,
tell them, the worse that can happen is you end up deleting a bad photo,
they usually have posing ideas in their head too, just not confident enough to push it out and just do it, get them comfortable and confident and a natural friendly fun connection and you'll get a variety of movement. good and bad.
staceyclarkephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of August 2012 (Wed)   #9
jonneymendoza
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyclarkephoto View Post
My advice, which works well for me, Is to learn to pose yourself, then let them copy.

That way you don't have a ton of photos infront of you and girls going "oh my arm this way, leg this way" then they get an awkward face.

It's a lot easier if you're infront of them, do a pose and expression, and they automatically start to copy what you do, if it looks good, you take the shot, if not, you keep moving and they will keep moving.

keeps it fun and usually they get lots more confidence and at ease with just randomely moving themselves then,
tell them, the worse that can happen is you end up deleting a bad photo,
they usually have posing ideas in their head too, just not confident enough to push it out and just do it, get them comfortable and confident and a natural friendly fun connection and you'll get a variety of movement. good and bad.
GREAT ADVICE.

Also, never touch the model ie hold there arms in place etc. tell them or show them what you want