Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 07 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 15:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

San Diego dark locations

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 07, 2012 15:35 |  #1

Hi.
I'm wondering of any member who is in or has been to the San Diego area knows of any good locations away from light pollution where I could get some decent night sky shots. I am heading out this coming weekend depending on the forecast from clearskies and I was going to head to Laguna mountain area and then drop over to the desert (Anza-Borrego). To maximize my chance of success I thought I'd ask here as there must be someone local to this area.
Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
spotz04
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2010
Local Yocal, USA
Aug 08, 2012 12:54 |  #2

I'm not in Calif but here's a dark sky map for your area -

http://www.jshine.net ...ion=true&selected_i​d=1421external link

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 08, 2012 14:25 as a reply to spotz04's post |  #3

Many thanks.
That will help!

CMJrFan8
96 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Costa Mesa, CA
Aug 08, 2012 14:33 as a reply to sdblade's post |  #4

I'm in Cali, and I think AB is your best bet. I've been out there many times. What are you going to be shooting?

Another spot would be the Palomar Observatory. It's closed at night, but you can drive up to the gate. There is a large open area right up near the gate.

1D4 | 5D3 | 8-15 f/4L Fisheye | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 400 f/5.6L | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | Gitzo GT5541LS | Wimberley Gimball II
http://stillerphotogra​phic.com/external link

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 08, 2012 21:27 as a reply to CMJrFan8's post |  #5

I'm going to be shooting the milky way (hopefully) and also get some star trails for stacking. I'll probably stop on the overlook above Borrego Springs for some panoramas. Thanks for the info.

CMJrFan8
96 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Costa Mesa, CA
Aug 10, 2012 10:49 as a reply to sdblade's post |  #6

Sweet.

I'm a little further north than you, OC, so I usualy drive out to Joshua Tree, or up to Big Bear. I do love AB though. There are some great rock formations out there, that would make for some nice foreground subjects.

Post up your results when you get back.

1D4 | 5D3 | 8-15 f/4L Fisheye | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 400 f/5.6L | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro | 3 x 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | Gitzo GT5541LS | Wimberley Gimball II
http://stillerphotogra​phic.com/external link

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 15, 2012 09:39 as a reply to CMJrFan8's post |  #7

One image posted in the photo sharing section. Thanks for the responses!

sponsored links

1,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
San Diego dark locations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.