FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 12:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Worked this in Cs5 Extended and Topaz Adjust . Cs'&Cs' welcome .

Post #1, Aug 10, 2012 12:08:01

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
imjason
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 posts
Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

interesting, the HDR process brought out the details in the bokeh. i like how the bird looks, but the bokeh is now distracting. but im sure someone can figure out an artistic way to use this bokeh.

Post #2, Aug 10, 2012 13:18:05

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickrexternal link

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

imjason wrote in post #14840896external link
interesting, the HDR process brought out the details in the bokeh. i like how the bird looks, but the bokeh is now distracting. but im sure someone can figure out an artistic way to use this bokeh.

Thanks jason for your comment . Good honest answer without being totally criticized . I wonder perhaps if i cropped the image a certain way that does not allow the bokeh to be too distracting ?

Post #3, Aug 11, 2012 08:49:36

wolfden
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,439 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

imjason wrote in post #14840896external link

I believe I would use a layer mask and bring back the original background while leaving the bird. I assume this is just a single tone-mapped image.

Post #4, Aug 11, 2012 11:20:13

~KJS~
Photos by KJSexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Google+external link
Canon 60D Shooter

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

wolfden wrote in post #14844341external link
I believe I would use a layer mask and bring back the original background while leaving the bird. I assume this is just a single tone-mapped image.

Yes it is a single image processed . The BG isn't much difference from the one here . The image was focused on the bird only but also caught the limb it was on and the rest was out of focus . The main purpose of my images is to bring the grunge look for selling as art photography . Guess you could say it's not the HDR that most are posting here that probably does not sell anywhere . Out of all the HDR images here i have seen in this section there maybe 1 out of 50 posted that would sell in an art store or gallery . I wish that the forum owners could make a different section for HDR-Non-HDR images like the one i posted so that people could get along with what they post . Thanks again for your C&C . Appreciate it .

Post #5, Aug 11, 2012 19:25:12

sponsored links
wolfden
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,439 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know much about selling. I just know some subjects work better for hdr/tone mapping than others. If what your doing is selling, more power to ya.

I'm just happy to get a bird or butterfly in focus yet along processed lol.

Post #6, Aug 11, 2012 20:57:39

~KJS~
Photos by KJSexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Google+external link
Canon 60D Shooter

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

wolfden wrote in post #14846176external link
I don't know much about selling. I just know some subjects work better for hdr/tone mapping than others. If what your doing is selling, more power to ya.

I'm just happy to get a bird or butterfly in focus yet along processed lol.

Check out all these oil field pictures . Of course i live in the middle of oil country and i prefer animals and wildlife among other landscape sceneries . I know the owner of the art gallery pretty well and the gentlemen that does the oil field images does them all in HDR . He sells approx 100 wallhangers every 3 months so you can see where the money is . They don't look near as good on the web as they do in person at the store . These are the best HDR images i have every seen anywhere .

http://www.frameitart.​net/c-352-oil-field.aspxexternal link

Post #7, Aug 11, 2012 21:42:58

wolfden
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,439 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Celestron wrote in post #14846343external link
Check out all these oil field pictures . Of course i live in the middle of oil country and i prefer animals and wildlife among other landscape sceneries . I know the owner of the art gallery pretty well and the gentlemen that does the oil field images does them all in HDR . He sells approx 100 wallhangers every 3 months so you can see where the money is . They don't look near as good on the web as they do in person at the store . These are the best HDR images i have every seen anywhere .

http://www.frameitart.​net/c-352-oil-field.aspxexternal link

Wow, I do like some of his work and at the same time think some of his work is over done, but I know people do like that look, just seems on photo forums, the majority don't like that over cooked look. If we all liked the same thing, art would be boring.

Post #8, Aug 11, 2012 22:42:56

~KJS~
Canon 60D Shooter

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

wolfden wrote in post #14846553external link
Wow, I do like some of his work and at the same time think some of his work is over done, but I know people do like that look, just seems on photo forums, the majority don't like that over cooked look. If we all liked the same thing, art would be boring.

Thats why my images always look over cooked to some people . It's hard to get it just right but i know i'm going in the right direction . See i look at what people post and i see inside buildings and inside new houses and most have that real clean look and finely detailed but honestly would you hang a picture on your wall that is just the inside of a church for instant that is just a real clean natural look ?? If that is what your into that is ok but most other people that are looking for art.... , i highly doubt it . If it's not wildlife or good scenery i wont hang a picture . I really like the italian look of those little side walk cafes with small tables and chairs outside with flowers and shrub around with maybe a look over the ocean beach . But i like most western look , or animals or birds . So that is what i'm working towards with my images and it just so happens you use HDR software to PP it so that labels any image HDR reguardless how anyone thinks . What has to change is the wide range of HDR goes from overcooked grunge look to the highest clean pretty look . Either way it's HDR and however it is presented is how it should be judged . Not that the only HDR is the clean bright look .

Post #9, Aug 11, 2012 22:54:07

wolfden
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
1,439 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It's all good, some like the all natural and some like the surreal. For me, it depends on the subject. I love grunge, but I only use it on old buildings, cars, etc.. You know your goals so I say stick with em.

Post #10, Aug 11, 2012 23:31:53

~KJS~
Canon 60D Shooter

tmcman
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
3,966 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

I like the super 3d subject against the watercolor background. Good idea.

Post #11, Aug 12, 2012 01:06:57

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
1DsII, G12, 17-40, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, 70-200 f/4L IS, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." A. W. Dow

sponsored links
Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

wolfden wrote in post #14846759external link
It's all good, some like the all natural and some like the surreal. For me, it depends on the subject. I love grunge, but I only use it on old buildings, cars, etc.. You know your goals so I say stick with em.

Thanks , that is the way i wish everyone would look at it and not be narrow minded like some are here . Have a great day !

Post #12, Aug 12, 2012 08:21:18

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2007
7,210 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tmcman wrote in post #14847000external link
I like the super 3d subject against the watercolor background. Good idea.

Thank you tmcman !

Post #13, Aug 12, 2012 08:21:48

kirkt
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
4,317 posts
Philadelphia, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Celestron wrote in post #14845842external link
. I wish that the forum owners could make a different section for HDR-Non-HDR images like the one i posted so that people could get along with what they post.

Start your own thread, similar to the "Natural Looking HDR" thread or "The Official Photomatix Thread". You have the power, just give it a title that makes its intent clear and obvious.

Celestron wrote in post #14845842external link
Thanks , that is the way i wish everyone would look at it and not be narrow minded like some are here . Have a great day !

Why would you want to ask for critique and not get critique? Not everyone is going to like your style, and you can learn from criticism of it. Hopefully, your new thread will establish a way of discussing your particular style that makes the discussion of these stylistic elements more efficient - you may even invent your own language and terminology of certain stylistic elements that appear to be fundamental aspects of the style you are seeking. Have fun with it!

kirk

Post #14, Aug 12, 2012 08:57:22

Kirk
---

michaelnel
Joined Apr 2007
750 posts
San Francisco, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I find all that busy background surrounding the bird makes it difficult to focus on your subject. I think it would be a much more pleasing image if most of that was removed via a tight vertical crop.

I think something more like this improves it a lot. Maybe even a tighter crop would be better:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #15, Aug 12, 2012 09:14:22

I keep my photos on SmugMug: (http://michaelnel.smug​mug.comexternal link)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lesser Goldfinch Male
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES