Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > HDR
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #1
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Default Lesser Goldfinch Male

Worked this in Cs5 Extended and Topaz Adjust . Cs'&Cs' welcome .

Last edited by Celestron : 27th of August 2013 (Tue) at 23:54.
Celestron is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #2
imjason

Default Re: Lesser Goldfinch Male

interesting, the HDR process brought out the details in the bokeh. i like how the bird looks, but the bokeh is now distracting. but im sure someone can figure out an artistic way to use this bokeh.
imjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #3
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjason View Post
interesting, the HDR process brought out the details in the bokeh. i like how the bird looks, but the bokeh is now distracting. but im sure someone can figure out an artistic way to use this bokeh.
Thanks jason for your comment . Good honest answer without being totally criticized . I wonder perhaps if i cropped the image a certain way that does not allow the bokeh to be too distracting ?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #4
wolfden

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjason View Post
I believe I would use a layer mask and bring back the original background while leaving the bird. I assume this is just a single tone-mapped image.
wolfden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #5
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfden View Post
I believe I would use a layer mask and bring back the original background while leaving the bird. I assume this is just a single tone-mapped image.
Yes it is a single image processed . The BG isn't much difference from the one here . The image was focused on the bird only but also caught the limb it was on and the rest was out of focus . The main purpose of my images is to bring the grunge look for selling as art photography . Guess you could say it's not the HDR that most are posting here that probably does not sell anywhere . Out of all the HDR images here i have seen in this section there maybe 1 out of 50 posted that would sell in an art store or gallery . I wish that the forum owners could make a different section for HDR-Non-HDR images like the one i posted so that people could get along with what they post . Thanks again for your C&C . Appreciate it .
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #6
wolfden

I don't know much about selling. I just know some subjects work better for hdr/tone mapping than others. If what your doing is selling, more power to ya.

I'm just happy to get a bird or butterfly in focus yet along processed lol.
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #7
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I don't know much about selling. I just know some subjects work better for hdr/tone mapping than others. If what your doing is selling, more power to ya.

I'm just happy to get a bird or butterfly in focus yet along processed lol.
Check out all these oil field pictures . Of course i live in the middle of oil country and i prefer animals and wildlife among other landscape sceneries . I know the owner of the art gallery pretty well and the gentlemen that does the oil field images does them all in HDR . He sells approx 100 wallhangers every 3 months so you can see where the money is . They don't look near as good on the web as they do in person at the store . These are the best HDR images i have every seen anywhere .

http://www.frameitart.net/c-352-oil-field.aspx
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #8
wolfden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestron View Post
Check out all these oil field pictures . Of course i live in the middle of oil country and i prefer animals and wildlife among other landscape sceneries . I know the owner of the art gallery pretty well and the gentlemen that does the oil field images does them all in HDR . He sells approx 100 wallhangers every 3 months so you can see where the money is . They don't look near as good on the web as they do in person at the store . These are the best HDR images i have every seen anywhere .

http://www.frameitart.net/c-352-oil-field.aspx
Wow, I do like some of his work and at the same time think some of his work is over done, but I know people do like that look, just seems on photo forums, the majority don't like that over cooked look. If we all liked the same thing, art would be boring.
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #9
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Wow, I do like some of his work and at the same time think some of his work is over done, but I know people do like that look, just seems on photo forums, the majority don't like that over cooked look. If we all liked the same thing, art would be boring.
Thats why my images always look over cooked to some people . It's hard to get it just right but i know i'm going in the right direction . See i look at what people post and i see inside buildings and inside new houses and most have that real clean look and finely detailed but honestly would you hang a picture on your wall that is just the inside of a church for instant that is just a real clean natural look ?? If that is what your into that is ok but most other people that are looking for art.... , i highly doubt it . If it's not wildlife or good scenery i wont hang a picture . I really like the italian look of those little side walk cafes with small tables and chairs outside with flowers and shrub around with maybe a look over the ocean beach . But i like most western look , or animals or birds . So that is what i'm working towards with my images and it just so happens you use HDR software to PP it so that labels any image HDR reguardless how anyone thinks . What has to change is the wide range of HDR goes from overcooked grunge look to the highest clean pretty look . Either way it's HDR and however it is presented is how it should be judged . Not that the only HDR is the clean bright look .
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #10
wolfden

It's all good, some like the all natural and some like the surreal. For me, it depends on the subject. I love grunge, but I only use it on old buildings, cars, etc.. You know your goals so I say stick with em.
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #11
tmcman
Goldmember

I like the super 3d subject against the watercolor background. Good idea.

"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." A. W. Dow
tmcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #12
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
It's all good, some like the all natural and some like the surreal. For me, it depends on the subject. I love grunge, but I only use it on old buildings, cars, etc.. You know your goals so I say stick with em.
Thanks , that is the way i wish everyone would look at it and not be narrow minded like some are here . Have a great day !
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #13
Celestron
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcman View Post
I like the super 3d subject against the watercolor background. Good idea.
Thank you tmcman !
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #14
kirkt
Goldmember

Quote:
. I wish that the forum owners could make a different section for HDR-Non-HDR images like the one i posted so that people could get along with what they post.
Start your own thread, similar to the "Natural Looking HDR" thread or "The Official Photomatix Thread". You have the power, just give it a title that makes its intent clear and obvious.

Quote:
Thanks , that is the way i wish everyone would look at it and not be narrow minded like some are here . Have a great day !
Why would you want to ask for critique and not get critique? Not everyone is going to like your style, and you can learn from criticism of it. Hopefully, your new thread will establish a way of discussing your particular style that makes the discussion of these stylistic elements more efficient - you may even invent your own language and terminology of certain stylistic elements that appear to be fundamental aspects of the style you are seeking. Have fun with it!

kirk

Last edited by kirkt : 12th of August 2012 (Sun) at 09:04.
kirkt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #15
michaelnel

I find all that busy background surrounding the bird makes it difficult to focus on your subject. I think it would be a much more pleasing image if most of that was removed via a tight vertical crop.

I think something more like this improves it a lot. Maybe even a tighter crop would be better:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birdtightcrop.jpg (71.1 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by michaelnel : 12th of August 2012 (Sun) at 09:26.
michaelnel is offline   Reply With Quote