Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 11:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Does this website with battery pack seem legit?

MelissaJoppPhotography
55 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Aug 10, 2012 11:35 |  #1

http://www.espow.com ...CFce8KgodVmwA0Q#rev​iews_2external link

I came across this battery pack and it's remarkably cheaper then canons so I am curious if any of you have bought this and are happy with it?
Thanks!

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,413 posts
Joined Mar 2008
London, Ontario
Aug 10, 2012 17:50 |  #2

Several companies have cloned the Canon equivalent... Dunno how good it is, but as a photographer I Prefer to respect who owns the design.

5D3 x2 / 5D2 / 1D IV / 6D
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L
B400 x2 / B800 x2 / ABR800 / VML x2
600EX x5
TT5 x8 /
PW TT1 / AC3 x3 / AC9 x4

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 10, 2012 20:06 |  #3

not in a million years... It's a knock off. They may have labeled in the CP-E4, but it won't be THE CP-E4 that Canon makes. If a price of a piece of equipment is being sold for way below market value compared to all other LEGIT online sources like B&H or Adorama, etc.. you can assume it is too good to be true!

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
Aug 10, 2012 20:39 as a reply to NewEnglandPhotographer's post |  #4

Didn't Sigma/Tamron/Tokina start off as 'knock-offs' when they first started up? What about Yongnuo, Cowboy Studios, and the other newer '3rd party knock-off brands'?

When it comes to things like this (accessories), I weigh the difference in cost vs. benefit of OEM. A large percentage of Canon/Nikon/Sony price is name recognition. It isn't always a case of better components, or a better product. What you are paying for with the name brands are things like R&D (past and future), advertising, humongous payrolls (as a whole, not necessarily individuals), warranty (yes, very important), and technical and customer support.

If an OEM accessory is 5-10x as much as a knock-off, to me it's worth the risk in purchasing that knock-off. My main concern with this type of item, is does it have the correct electrical output so as not to damage my equipment.

As for the website, never used them, never heard of them, and you could probably get the exact item (with maybe a different label) on ebay. At least there you have a 5% chance of problem resolution.

EDIT - Here you go - CP-E4 made by TomTop $22.99external link with free shipping

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

MelissaJoppPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Aug 10, 2012 22:03 |  #5

Thanks all! I chose to go with the Canon. Although Canon sure must be making a lot of $$ off of these.

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Aug 12, 2012 10:53 |  #6

I use both the canon and off brand. They both work equally as well in my testing.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010
MN
Aug 13, 2012 11:06 |  #7

Point of order. A "knockoff" (with all the baggage that goes with that term) has the OEM brand name or brand identifying mark on it, but it is not genuine (i.e. Rolex knockoffs, Gucci knockoffs, etc.). That is different from a third-party product, marketed AS a third-party product as compatible with the OEM.

The first is deceptive.

The second is not. The true third-party can be worth it if it offers advantages over the OEM (e.g. price, features) compared with the OEM.

Grips and battery third-party products are generally marketed on price.

Lens third-party products can be marketed on price, but are also frequently marketing on quality and features.

Companies like Canon love consumers who place brand name in the "no equal" category.

As far as owning the design, much of what companies like Canon do with their designs is intended to make life difficult for the third-parties rather than offer any real consumer advantage (Canon is far from the worst at this behavior... Apple is the #1 world champion at this kind of corporate strategy, with Sony a close second... JMO, of course).

Tom

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 13, 2012 18:00 |  #8

This is a knock-off. It does not say "Canon", but it does say "CP-E4"... coincidence? I think not...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010
MN
Aug 13, 2012 19:36 |  #9

First, CP-E4 is a model number, not a brand name. Second, that is only in the store's listing. The product itself is clearly marked as "Shoot" brand, and (less clearly in the photo) carries the model number of EP-N4. Here is one for sale on ebayexternal link. Understand, I am not endorsing this product; I have no experience with it. But, it is clearly not a knock-off if that term means a counterfeit of a name brand product. It is a cheap third party product that claims to be a replacement for the Canon CP-E4.

Here is someone's review of itexternal link.

Tom

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 13, 2012 19:50 |  #10

while I hear what you are saying, would you agree that we could call it false advertising? or misleading advertising? The title says "Flash battery pack CP-E4", and there is no mention of the actual brand unless looking closely at the picture...

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010
MN
Aug 13, 2012 20:22 |  #11

I agree the store's ad is misleading.

Tom

sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Fresno CA
Aug 13, 2012 22:01 |  #12

Go with the pixel brand. They are great and seem to recycle faster than the canon one. I have both.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.comexternal link

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,717 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Yorkshire, England
Aug 14, 2012 09:25 |  #13

sempaidavid wrote in post #14855074 (external link)
Go with the pixel brand. They are great and seem to recycle faster than the canon one. I have both.

I got rid of my Canon-brand power packs and now run entirely Pixel TD-381 units because:

1. They are noticeably faster than Canon.
  2. They cost (UK) about a quarter the price of Canon.
  3. IF one goes down (hasn't happened yet), it wouldn't be a deal-breaker to just get another - I pay $49.99 for mine, shipped.
  4. The Pixel TD-381 uses twin circuits, two banks of 4 batteries. If one battery fails the unit will still function perfectly albeit more slowly on the remaining bank. Most of the others - Canon, Yongnuo, Meikle, Shoot - use a single circuit so if a single cell in the chain of 4/6/8 fails the whole pack goes down. A quick visual clue is to look for the pack 'ready light' - one LED means a single circuit.
Reliability has been 100%, same as the far more expensive Canon version. I should mention that the Pixel TD-381 is an evolving design - my first two have LEDs which twinkle rapidly when recycled, the one which arrived Friday (PCB marked TD-381z) has LEDs which pulse more slowly. Opening up, I see that the circuitry has been completely revamped. Possibly very slightly puzzling if one isn't aware of the evolution, but reassuring that it's not a 'good enough' design with no ongoing assessment of the product. I should also say that Pixel's soldering isn't exactly clean. It certainly works, no doubt of that, but the workmanship is a bit messy.

Counterfeit, 'knock-off', fake.....?If a product purports to be made by (eg) Canon and is actually made by someone else without a licence then it is counterfeit.
"Shoot CP-E4" is certainly misleading but it could also be construed as the 'CP-E4' being information rather than the product name. At worst, this is false advertising because the actual maker is clearly stated.
"Canon CP-E4 made under licence by Fred Flintstone Enterprises" is accurate and a genuine product, even though not actually made by Canon.
"Canon CP-E4" {made by Fred Flintstone Enterprises} is totally inaccurate and not the article which it purports to be.
It's all in the way in which the words are used!

Whether something is a 'rip-off' is equally open to debate. I've been in this business long enough to have used flashguns with external power packs by Strobe Equipment, Courtnay and Braun in the 1960s; long before Canon even started to make flashguns. So, did Canon rip-off the idea from these makers of the 1950s/60s? Or is it just an evolving concept?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,151 posts
Joined Jan 2011
WV
Aug 14, 2012 09:37 |  #14

I buy nothing but third party stuff. Except for L's and Cameras, everything is bought from eBay. LP-e6s for $14 sure beats the $100 plus that canon charges, and third party's often have more power.
LP-e5's can be had for $6, and intervalometers are $15 (I think Canon charges $170 for an intervalometer).

I am scared of ones that say they are Canon, but are faked, though.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

PLLphotography
with the TF
4,654 posts
Joined Apr 2009
VA
Aug 14, 2012 10:12 |  #15

I've had no problems from the Pixel brand either. good stuff so far (aside from the nitpick of wishing it had a velcro strap).

Phillip - pllphotography.com (external link) | Donate to POTN | Fuji Gear: X-Pro 2, X-T1, 18mm f/2, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2, 56mm f/1.2, 90mm f/2

sponsored links

2,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does this website with battery pack seem legit?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.