Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 15 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 04:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie alert in need of set up help.

#DUV
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 15, 2012 04:19 |  #1

I have a 600d with a canon 50mml 1.4 lens. I have this for the purpose of making music videos.

The problem I'm facing is that when I film I'm getting trails when my subject moves. Can anybody offer some advice on how to stop this please. Like I said I'm a total noob but it's winding me up.

Thanks in advance.

Canon 600D/T3i
Canon 50mml 1.4
TWITTER: @SexualAudio #DUV
www.youtube.com/Deeper​UndergroundViz (external link)

sponsored links
Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 15, 2012 09:45 |  #2

what settings are you using

#DUV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 15, 2012 17:39 |  #3

Brian_R wrote in post #14861469 (external link)
what settings are you using

I've probably got it set up wrong. If you have any advice on how to set it up, I'd be very greatful.

Canon 600D/T3i
Canon 50mml 1.4

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 15, 2012 18:35 |  #4

Shutter speed!!! You need to stay at 50 pal land or 60 NTSC land!! Always shoot double your frame rate! So for me 25p 50 shutter speed. Keep to 160 320 640 1250 3200 ISO.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 15, 2012 21:05 |  #5

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14863433 (external link)
Shutter speed!!! You need to stay at 50 pal land or 60 NTSC land!! Always shoot double your frame rate! So for me 25p 50 shutter speed. Keep to 160 320 640 1250 3200 ISO.

thats the accepted norm but it depends on the look the person shooting desires. sometimes a faster shutter speed might be called for

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 16, 2012 01:55 |  #6

Yes but only use the faster shutter speed with spot on tripod stability or you will end up with trails or motion sickness. If you do want the bokeh look and have no nd filter sometimes I cheat and up the shutter speed to reduce my aperture to under f2.8. But only on my heavy tripod and still all around me. Running and gunning got to be 50 shutter speed on monopod for good stability. Having said that I have filmed at night to get trailing lights with a shutter of 15. Your right Brian I suppose it's the look required.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2012 07:55 |  #7

yea. i also never thought of that though, might have to go out at night at 1/15 and play around with slower shutter speeds. thanks for that :P

#DUV
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 18, 2012 04:10 |  #8

Thanks guys that's all really helpful. I'm just off to go and do some field teta today so I'll give all your suggestions a go.

Canon 600D/T3i
Canon 50mml 1.4

sponsored links

1,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie alert in need of set up help.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.