Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 19 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 21:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do you show clients on-camera previews?

JohnThomas
401 posts
Joined May 2012
Long Island, New York
Aug 19, 2012 21:54 |  #1

I did a portrait shoot today for a family I'm doing a sweet 16 for in a few weeks. During the shoot they asked to see the pictures on-camera. Needless to say, it was stressful.

How do you guys feel about showing clients on-camera previews? Do you even do it?

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 19, 2012 22:16 |  #2

I do it..Why not? If you decline,it might be considered rude or that you are hiding something.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Aug 19, 2012 22:26 |  #3

I show my clients the photo on the LCD once in a while.

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 19, 2012 22:36 |  #4

Yup, it's nice to give them a glimpse of what i've captured.

Candy Capco Photographyexternal link | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographerexternal link
Follow us on Facebook!external link

JohnThomas
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined May 2012
Long Island, New York
Aug 19, 2012 22:56 |  #5

I do it, just because I don't want to offend the clients. But today one of the girls was extremely critical about herself and wanted me to delete almost every picture she was in. I managed to laugh it off with her so that I could keep them, but it got me thinking that maybe I should avoid showing clients pre-processed images.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Aug 19, 2012 23:16 |  #6

Yes I do it

Peter

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Aug 19, 2012 23:22 |  #7

I show them images on either my notebook or if it is around, 55" 1080p TV so they can see in real time what I am doing.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

JohnThomas
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined May 2012
Long Island, New York
Aug 19, 2012 23:44 |  #8

^ Crazy info.. How do you do that?

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Aug 19, 2012 23:52 |  #9

I'm guessing that's for formals or studio shots... unless he had an assistant drag the TV around behind him. Lol. :D. Probably shooting tethered with lightroom or similar.

GEAR LIST

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Sydney-Australia
Aug 20, 2012 00:52 |  #10

Sometimes I do.

Most of the time they just want to know how they look (eg hair is ok, makeup is ok etc).

www.sidd-rishi.com.auexternal linkhttp://www.sidd-rishi.com.auexternal link

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Gold Coast, Australia
Aug 20, 2012 00:56 |  #11

If they ask to see a specific shot - yes...

You need to approach sensibly and avoid doing it if you get the sense the client is going to end up wanting to see every shot as you take them!!

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coastexternal link

snakeman55
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Baltimore, Md
Aug 20, 2012 03:09 |  #12

I do when it's beneficial. I've had times when I've shown a client an awesome looking shot on my camera LCD that inspired the client to keep going and remain enthusiastic. They went from starting to look bored and tired to re-invigorated.

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Marylandexternal link
Gear

JohnThomas
THREAD ­ STARTER
401 posts
Joined May 2012
Long Island, New York
Aug 20, 2012 09:31 |  #13

snakeman55 wrote in post #14880954external link
I do when it's beneficial. I've had times when I've shown a client an awesome looking shot on my camera LCD that inspired the client to keep going and remain enthusiastic. They went from starting to look bored and tired to re-invigorated.

Point noted. That would be awesome.

You can call me JT
jsantiniphotography.co​m

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,695 posts
Joined Oct 2006
NYC
Aug 20, 2012 09:34 |  #14

This.

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,527 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 20, 2012 09:40 |  #15

^^This.

I do it for my purposes, not theirs.

I won't show anything until we're well into the session, and when I do it's with verbiage such as, "Here is a quick view of what we're getting--awesome, isn't it?" I flick to a particular shot that I want them to see, Then we're back into the shooting. Presuming we're talking about consumer photography (as opposed to commercial work) it's important to maintan control of your session.

As we shoot, btw, I'm continually giving the subject positive verbal feedback--all kinds of "that's great, that's it, very nice, muy bonita, very pretty, eso es, muy hermosa, yes!" Sometimes when something doesn't work out, it's "That was good, now let's try...." Watch your body language and non-verbal cues...never frown, even if it's your own mistake.

If I'm photographing someone who is "in the business," there will be more collaboration during the session, more like a commercial job even if it isn't. That's a matter of what they understand about the process. These will be people who themselves have an artistic eye and the ability to visualize properly the end result.

sponsored links

1,900 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you show clients on-camera previews?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.