Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 22 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 20:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Legacy manual lenses for landscapes

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 22, 2012 20:49 |  #1

How many members use old adapted 35mm manual lenses for their landscape photography? I am currently using a 30yr old OM Zuiko 28mm f2.8 for most of my landscape work but I was looking for any recommendations for an ultra wide prime. I am using a crop body (60D) so the wider the better.

Any thoughts would be welcome...............

Cheers

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Aug 22, 2012 20:53 |  #2

20mm was ultrawide in the manual focus days, so there aren't really any options for adapted lenses that would be ultrawide on a 60D. There are some pretty good 20/21mm lenses, but that's not even kit lens wide with the crop factor.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Aug 22, 2012 20:56 |  #3

Modern UWAs are far better than their older counterparts, and are wider to boot, since they are designed for ASP-C (note I'm only talking about the APS-C lenses, not the FF ones); you won't really find any UWA prime for the 60D in terms of legacy glass, as the widest AFAIK is ~15mm which is not really UWA.

I tend to stick to normal/short tele for legacy glass.

If you insist on a wide prime however, and refuse to get modern lenses, look at the tokina 17/3.5 RMC and the tamron 17/3.5 adaptall.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Inland Empire, California
Aug 23, 2012 00:46 |  #4

I would agree with the above. On a FF, the 21/24 OM lenses really shine, but the 24 on my 40 is not nearly as pretty. Not to mention due to the lack of light in the viewfinder compared to my 5D, manual focusing is more difficult.

Olympus as the 18mm, but it is expensive and good copies on ebay are rare. For a 60D, I wouldn't waste time/money and I'd just go straight for one of the common UWA zooms that have autofocus.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 24, 2012 16:48 as a reply to Laramie's post |  #5

Thanks for all the input. I have the Tokina 11-16mm and the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm on order so they should be here in a day or two.

Cheers!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Aug 24, 2012 16:53 |  #6

You probably didn't need both, but those are good picks.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 24, 2012 22:27 as a reply to tkbslc's post |  #7

Not planning on keeping both but I'll try them both out and return one.

sponsored links

1,759 views & 0 likes for this thread
Legacy manual lenses for landscapes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.