Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 27 Aug 2012 (Monday) 18:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Outside San Diego

lambo13
Joined Mar 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Aug 27, 2012 18:13 |  #1

Will be in San Diego on business the week of 10 September (any cool events going on?), hoping to get some ideas for places I may not have been yet. I go there 4 or 5 times a year so I've done Coronado, Mt Soledad, Old Town, Mission Beach, Silver Strand, Fort Rosecrans (my absolute favorite), Point Loma, La Jolla, Gas Lamp, Balboa, Fashion Valley, the Zoo, and everything in between.

What I'd really like to do is head east into the mountains and desert areas, but I only really have time to do that my first day there. I'll be in my car by noon and have the rest of that afternoon to go as far as need be, the rest of the week it'll just be late afternoon/evening.

I don't have a 'style' and am just figuring out what I like to shoot, so anything goes. I do like abandoned, old things, any kind of desert areas, vistas, etc.

Any advice is appreciated!

Rob
Chops Creative (external link)

sponsored links
Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Inland Empire, California
Aug 28, 2012 16:52 |  #2

How far are you willing to drive?

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

lambo13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Aug 28, 2012 16:54 |  #3

Laramie wrote in post #14918971external link
How far are you willing to drive?

A few hours. I'm thinking right now of going to the Salton Sea. Have always wanted to...

But open to other suggestions!

Rob

Laramie
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Aug 28, 2012 17:02 |  #4

If you're near Salton Sea, you might as well try to catch Joshua Tree. Great for classic desert stuff with the Ocotillo, Cholla and Joshua Trees. The rock formations are cool as well.

The area around Lake Jennings/Cuyamaca/Pine Valley/Descanso is great too.

Another great drive would be Sunrise Highway to Mount Laguna. That's a nice place.

Anza Borrego is nice too, but BIG. I prefer the look of Joshua Tree over Anza Borrego.

If you go to Salton Sea, you should check out "Salvation Mountain".

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

lambo13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Aug 28, 2012 18:54 |  #5

Oh I definitely intend to hit up Salvation Mountain! We'll see if I have time to get to Joshua Tree. If not this visit, then certainly the next.

Thanks for all the ideas! That should cover the next few trips I make out there!

Can't wait.

Rob

Laramie
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Aug 28, 2012 19:36 |  #6

lambo13 wrote in post #14919390external link
Oh I definitely intend to hit up Salvation Mountain! We'll see if I have time to get to Joshua Tree. If not this visit, then certainly the next.

Thanks for all the ideas! That should cover the next few trips I make out there!

Can't wait.

Hope you have a great trip. No problem. I want to get out to Salvation Mountain myself one day.

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 29, 2012 12:37 as a reply to Laramie's post |  #7

Head out to Salton Sea for the derelict buildings etc. Head back through Borrego Springs for the Iron statues in the desert south of town, leave via S2 for the panoramas over the desert from the top of the winding road.

Bianchi
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
USA
Aug 29, 2012 18:34 |  #8

Head up to Julian ( High Desert) through Poway. ( North County) When there, you have to have some apple pie there. Check out Ramona. Another nice area is Rancho Santa Fe >>> Del Mar Race Track

My Gear flickrexternal link

lambo13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Aug 29, 2012 19:46 |  #9

Alright, so these are some awesome ideas!

Check out my map below... I'm worried I may be a bit too ambitious. The total distance is 348 miles. What is the general speed limit on these roads? If I can average 65mph it's 5 1/2 hours total of driving. I'll probably start at 1230 by the time I get my car. Sunset will be 7pm that day, so I can basically assume that the entire trip back will be in the dark.

https://maps.google.co​m ...=mi&mrsp=7&sz=17&t=​m&z=10 (external link)

IMAGE: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z197/secretsquirrel1381/LongWay.png

I'd like to take my time at the Salton Sea though... maybe I should just hit up Salton City and Desert Shores and then head back. Would allow me to take my time there. I'd miss out on the state park, Bombay Beach and Salvation Mountain though.

https://maps.google.co​m ...=mi&mrsp=3&sz=17&t=​m&z=10 (external link)
IMAGE: http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z197/secretsquirrel1381/ShortWay.png

Thoughts?

Rob

Laramie
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Aug 29, 2012 22:20 |  #10

From highway 8 north through Cuyamaca, it's going to be 55 IIRC.

45/55/65 all the way east through Anza Borrego. Can't speak to the area around Salton Sea.

ETA: I think your second itinerary is a lot more realistic. You might find a spot and will want more time to shoot.

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 30, 2012 14:01 as a reply to Laramie's post |  #11

I would go with route number 2.

lambo13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Aug 30, 2012 20:25 |  #12

Route 2 it is!

It'll be a bummer not to see Salvation Mountain and Bombay Beach, but this cuts off nearly 100 miles and allows me to get there in closer to 2 1/2 hours, plenty of time to shoot until I can't take the 108 degree temps any longer.

Rob

Laramie
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Aug 30, 2012 20:30 |  #13

Might not be as bad during the summer because they have moved to higher elevation, but really keep your head on a swivel while driving on the 79 up to the 78. LOTS of deer in the Cuyamaca area. Last time I was there I probably spotted 50-75 deer and at least 100-150 turkeys.

lambo13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2011
Virginia Beach, VA
Sep 20, 2012 20:21 |  #14

All -

Thanks for the info, had an amazing trip to the Salton Sea last Monday. Posted some pics here: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​230295.

Found it quite funny as I drove there that the local San Diego and LA radio stations were asking people to stop calling the fire department about the smell, "it's just the Salton Sea..." I knew I was in for a treat.

I basically took the second route as described above, but on the way back I went through Ramona and down the 15. Gorgeous drive there and back. Can't wait to take my wife through that area again next time she visits, even if she has no desire to go all the way out to the Salton Sea.

Saw Salton City, Desert Shores, and the trailer park in between them. Took hundreds more photos, but wow, what an amazing place. At once inspiring and depressing. The geography of the mountains surrounding this enormous body of water where you can't even see the other side in some places is, frankly, breathtaking. And yet you're almost overwhelmed by the poverty and the failed dreams. Where do these people work? Why are they still living here?

I hope I can make it to the eastern shore next trip out and possibly Salvation Mountain and Slab City.

Thanks again for the help all.

Rob

Laramie
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Sep 20, 2012 20:29 |  #15

lambo13 wrote in post #15021102external link
All -

Thanks for the info, had an amazing trip to the Salton Sea last Monday. Posted some pics here: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​230295.

Found it quite funny as I drove there that the local San Diego and LA radio stations were asking people to stop calling the fire department about the smell, "it's just the Salton Sea..." I knew I was in for a treat.

I basically took the second route as described above, but on the way back I went through Ramona and down the 15. Gorgeous drive there and back. Can't wait to take my wife through that area again next time she visits, even if she has no desire to go all the way out to the Salton Sea.

Saw Salton City, Desert Shores, and the trailer park in between them. Took hundreds more photos, but wow, what an amazing place. At once inspiring and depressing. The geography of the mountains surrounding this enormous body of water where you can't even see the other side in some places is, frankly, breathtaking. And yet you're almost overwhelmed by the poverty and the failed dreams. Where do these people work? Why are they still living here?

I hope I can make it to the eastern shore next trip out and possibly Salvation Mountain and Slab City.

Thanks again for the help all.

So you only traveled the west side of the shoreline? I want to head out there soon.

sponsored links

2,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
Outside San Diego
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.