Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 09:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How does one create a photo such as this?

ndekens
31 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Aug 29, 2012 09:34 |  #1

How does one create an image such as this?

I know how to stack images and get a good star photo but how does one incorperate the landscape?
I have a particular landscape in mind that I want to show at night with the stars and such but no idea how to start.

I do have deep sky stacker, photoshop and other programs to do this but need a work flow
to get it done.

Note: This is not my photo but one I found on the web.

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-92y26qdd8x0/UD4msdIh8LI/AAAAAAAABUw/Mh2oNwwt16s/s640/milkyperseidrainsatbrght.jpg

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 29, 2012 12:42 |  #2

This could be just a single exposure. 30 seconds or so to capture the milky way and the meteors. The foreground could have been lit for a second or so by flashlight.

calypsob
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
Roanoke Virginia
Aug 29, 2012 17:57 as a reply to sdblade's post |  #3

Actually I just figured this out on vacation while I watched someone else do the same thing. You have two options, as mentioned above you can expose the foreground with lighting, which certainly allows you to expose much faster and provides a sharper image. The second way is to expose without a light for 5-20 minutes at your lowest iso. Either way works but in the end you create a layer mask and paint in the foreground and use your milky way stack in the background. Of course if you have a full frame you may not have to do as much editing an layering as you would on a crop sensor because you can expose at higher iso's without the noise issues.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

1,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
How does one create a photo such as this?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.