FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 02 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 17:56   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mckay ­ photography
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Jo Binskihas been illegally using my images in his portfolio - I hope anyone considering using Jo Binski for a wedding or any kind of photography work finds this thread and sees he is not to be trusted.

His website (probably all stolen material): Jo Binski

Screen shots:

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/illegaluse/Jo1.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/illegaluse/Jo2.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/illegaluse/Jo6.jpg

Post #1, Sep 02, 2012 17:56:24

Gear: 5D mkIII, 5D mkII, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
Wedding Photography Sydneyexternal link
| Wedding Photography blogexternal link | Wedding photography Bowralexternal link | WPSDexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

What the hell is going on in the world lately? That one bridal portrait is the same one the other guy stole. Not cool.

Post #2, Sep 02, 2012 18:53:03

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Marylandexternal link
Gear

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

snakeman55 wrote in post #14939594external link
What the hell is going on in the world lately? That one bridal portrait is the same one the other guy stole. Not cool.

I'm sure there were always cheats and scumbags and no doubt always will be. I just hope they get a good old karmic kick in the crutch :)

Post #3, Sep 02, 2012 18:59:09

| Wedding Photography blogexternal link | Wedding photography Bowralexternal link | WPSDexternal link

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a good site to give people bad press: http://stopstealingpho​tos.tumblr.comexternal link

Post #4, Sep 02, 2012 18:59:56

Simplistic
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,439 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow. That's a real drag. You have my hopes, too. Hope he ends up on Judge Joe Brown ;)

Post #5, Sep 02, 2012 19:23:46

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

sponsored links
mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Given I found someone else doing this last week I'm not surprised by another cheat but I am still amazed at his audacity to say the images are copyright Jo Binski!!!

Post #6, Sep 02, 2012 19:26:03

Justaddwata
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,322 posts
Stralian - In Rhode IsIand
[MORE/SHARE]

razyl wrote in post #14939710external link
Given I found someone else doing this last week I'm not surprised by another cheat but I am still amazed at his audacity to say the images are copyright Jo Binski!!!

Well no doubt it is so he can avoid the embarrassment of finding the images he stole on another thief's website. He of all people knows how its done!

Great that your skills are worthy of stealing - just a shame that their customers may be in for a ride if they expect what they see.

Post #7, Sep 03, 2012 02:15:29

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
Joined May 2009
12,504 posts
On The Roads Across America
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm it in any way.condoning this, but I really don't think POTN to out this person or worse, completely try and convict someone such as this.

I hate to see what these types of posts would do to this place, as they increase here.

Post #8, Sep 03, 2012 02:27:40

» America By Twilight - The Ultimate Photography Roadtripexternal link

I’m now living and working full-time on-the-road across the highways of America.
Accompanied by “Montana”, a beautiful Golden Irish who goes everywhere that I do.
Follow along on this modern journey to explore America by Twilightexternal link

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14940777external link
I'm it in any way.condoning this, but I really don't think POTN to out this person or worse, completely try and convict someone such as this.

I hate to see what these types of posts would do to this place, as they increase here.

Well I disagree....or at least I dont know of a better alternative or forum to out people. Yes I guess I'm taking advantage of POTN's popularity and google search effectiveness but as a lot of newbies look on this forum it will hopefully also help to highlight to everyone what can happen or the worst of photography... and hopefully teach people a (small) way to combat it.

Legally I dont see any options. Without being defeatist even the AIPPexternal link's legal advice is to "contact the photographer in question and be professional". What?! They're basically admit any legal action is difficult or nigh ineffective being that the photographers in question are overseas. This is my national body that represents the largest number of Australian and NZ professional photographers pretty much shrugging their shoulders and going "you cant do much about it".

So by creating these posts I hope I AM doing something about it. It's the best way I can think of to combat the theft of my images and the out and out dishonesty of a (very small) number of people in the industry.

Post #9, Sep 03, 2012 02:47:34

Pekka
El General Moderator
Joined Mar 2001
15,688 posts
Hellsinki, Finland
[MORE/SHARE]

razyl wrote in post #14940815external link
Well I disagree....or at least I dont know of a better alternative or forum to out people. Yes I guess I'm taking advantage of POTN's popularity and google search effectiveness but as a lot of newbies look on this forum it will hopefully also help to highlight to everyone what can happen or the worst of photography... and hopefully teach people a (small) way to combat it.

Legally I dont see any options. Without being defeatist even the AIPPexternal link's legal advice is to "contact the photographer in question and be professional". What?! They're basically admit any legal action is difficult or nigh ineffective being that the photographers in question are overseas. This is my national body that represents the largest number of Australian and NZ professional photographers pretty much shrugging their shoulders and going "you cant do much about it".

So by creating these posts I hope I AM doing something about it. It's the best way I can think of to combat the theft of my images and the out and out dishonesty of a (very small) number of people in the industry.

Have you contacted Binski about this?

I think it is important to catch blatant illegal usage of photographs. Some of my photos have been stolen, too, and I have no pity for those who do it. We have not had many of these threads here, and I'm sure there is no trend going on. Exposing stolen photos to public via POTN is fine by me as long as the case is proven but I feel it would only be fair that target is made aware of this thread for comments.

Post #10, Sep 03, 2012 08:03:47

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
Suggested reading:
AMASS version 1.1 is coming soon! CHANGELOG HERE.
ADDING IMAGES TO GALLERY: IF YOUR GEAR/EXIF IS NOT THERE?

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Pekka wrote in post #14941320external link
Have you contacted Binski about this?

I think it is important to catch blatant illegal usage of photographs. Some of my photos have been stolen, too, and I have no pity for those who do it. We have not had many of these threads here, and I'm sure there is no trend going on. Exposing stolen photos to public via POTN is fine by me as long as the case is proven but I feel it would only be fair that target is made aware of this thread for comments.

Yes I should have mentioned in the first post that I have contacted Jo - no reply as yet.

IMAGE: http://www.mckayphotography.com.au/photos/illegaluse/Jo4.jpg

Post #11, Sep 03, 2012 14:30:01

sponsored links
mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Another image on his "portfolio" is from this blog post: http://cupcakesandcash​mere.com/wedding-week-our-look/external link by the photographer Max Wangerexternal link.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Post #12, Sep 03, 2012 14:34:17

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
658 posts
Sydney Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

And another is from http://www.infinitypho​tography.com.auexternal link

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Post #13, Sep 03, 2012 14:43:29

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
2,979 posts
Isn't that vierd? Yesh!
[MORE/SHARE]

WOW what the hell was he thinking lol.

Post #14, Sep 03, 2012 14:54:49

Model Mayhemexternal link
Blogexternal link
Flickrexternal link

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
Joined Oct 2007
3,734 posts
OC, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Unfortunately probably a lot of wannabe wedding shooters do this to get their foot in the door... heck I don't even use images I took while second shooting... lol

Unfortunately outing them here probably will miss your target audience of local brides...

Post #15, Sep 03, 2012 14:58:22

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,231 views & 0 likes for this thread
Jo Binski - illegal image use
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES