Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 07 Mar 2007 (Wednesday) 19:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Slimming Posing Techniques (by popular demand)

geandh
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2012
MA
Mar 03, 2012 09:56 |  #136

Great techniques! Thanks for sharing!

Boston wedding photographerexternal link | Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
dnewman
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Mar 07, 2012 03:34 as a reply to post 2836865 |  #137

Wow! This is a beautiful thread! Your techniques are great! Didn't realize it would be so simple until you pointed it out. Will be practicing your tips ASAP. :)

Watwerboy
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Mar 07, 2012 08:31 as a reply to post 3159658 |  #138

Very helpful stuff.
Thank you

7D; Canon 24-70 / 2.8L; Canon 50 / 1.8; Canon 28-135 (kit lens); RN-560; 60" convertible umbrella; 33" (silver), 38" (gold) reflective umbrella

Erwin ­ Beckers
36 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Netherlands
Apr 08, 2012 10:08 |  #139

Great thread.. immediately bookedmarked it..
But.... how about a follow up with some more techniques ?

facebook page:www.facebook.com/Erwin​BeckersFotografieexternal link

nisamed52
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2012
May 06, 2012 11:33 |  #140

Thanks, I have something new to-day

Demoman80
132 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jun 06, 2012 21:20 |  #141

Thanks for posting, a lot of good tips.

-Derek

-Derek-
Like me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.co​m ...8493605509160?ref=t​n_tnmnexternal link

oharing
494 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Miami, FL
Jun 12, 2012 18:27 |  #142

Very important! You face this issue during weddings more often than you think. Be prepared!

Miami Wedding Photographersexternal link

Demoman80
132 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Aug 16, 2012 23:16 |  #143

any slimming for boudoir?

-Derek-
Like me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.co​m ...8493605509160?ref=t​n_tnmnexternal link

Andrea.Allure
31 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Michigan
Aug 21, 2012 15:36 |  #144

Thanks for the great post Jamie. I'm excited to try your photoshop trickery with transform tool.. Love your tips involving the body blocking and bringing the arms up too. I'm always using the liquify tool after the fact to slim down my clients, I'll definitely be trying your posing tips to save me some time after my shoot. Thanks again!

Allure Arts and Photographyexternal link

Ian71
175 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Aug 28, 2012 10:51 |  #145

great tips...thanks man...

MY GEAR | MY FLICKRexternal link

paul33
377 posts
Joined Aug 2002
Peterborough, UK
Sep 04, 2012 04:18 |  #146

I'm going to be a little cynical here but don't flame me as its just an honest opinion.

The thread is labelled "slimming posing techniques" but the main technique appears to be either "hide the bride away" or "crop high so that you can't see her body". I like and agree with the high shooting positions and arm presentations but surely avoiding shooting full length shots is more avoidance of the challenge rather than dealing with it.

There are also other issues untouched here relating to body image and whether the bride and/or groom actually like her body shape. Personally, I think she's a very attractive young lady who looks just as stunning in the "bad shot" as she does in the other shots and I'd want to concentrate far more on capturing her personality and good looks than hiding her "non-supermodel" figure.

Like I say - just an honest, initial reaction.

Nene Digital Wedding Photographyexternal link

RachelLyndsey
90 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Sep 04, 2012 16:42 |  #147

As a newbie wedding photographer, a recent bride, and a larger woman... I love this thread! For those of you who are talking about "hiding the bride" I think the OP did already mention (and it should seem somewhat obvious) that there will be lots of candids throughout the day that will show the couple as they really are. And those may or may not be the couples' favorites. I think a VARIETY of pictures is the answer here. Some photos that are more traditional poses maybe, some "artfully" taken photos like those above that use some hiding techniques, and also some photos that are full body but a bit more flattering. I'll post a few photos from my wedding (taken by Kevin Keefer).

In this one, having us close together with my husband's arm on top of mine I think takes an inch or two off my profile and is slimming.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5HwMGIz6NhI/TYGJtvX46VI/AAAAAAAAAF8/i5ps5i31wos/s640/k0189.jpg

In this one, my husband is positioned so his shadow falls over part of me, and I'm turned towards the center. You can see my whole dress but it is definitely flattering.
IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-aPdw55s-CLI/TYGJpNU7ZnI/AAAAAAAAAFs/xWbCQkbPAsY/s640/k0186.jpg

And even by myself, just by positioning me at an angle, I think the effect is much more flattering than if he had shot me straight on.
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TCc_UqBaGzo/TYGLM-iXRZI/AAAAAAAAAJc/m-o9nfVspzU/s640/k0296.jpg

Have: 5d Mark II / 24-85mm / 50mm 1.4
Want: 17-40mm L / 35mm L / 85mm L / 135mm L
Facebookexternal link Websiteexternal link

gomab1914
98 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Pennsauken, NJ
Sep 06, 2012 18:38 as a reply to RachelLyndsey's post |  #148

nice job!

http://www.prioritypor​traits.comexternal link

NBEast
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
So Cal
Sep 14, 2012 00:42 as a reply to gomab1914's post |  #149

What a great set of easy to remember tips!

I don't think of it so much as hiding the bride's size as good positioning and lighting to emphasize her strengths without the distraction of less flattering aspects. Same as you'd do with someone who's crooked nose would be distracting in a straight-on shot. Not just your positon but hers (stretched neck, facing partially forward and partially behind the groom or a column or something - so you know the golden moment when it presents itself.

These tips can help to sort out the keepers in PP too.

This thread prompted me to go review a wedding from several years back.

Light on neck angled to appear slimmer. Stretched neck to erase extra chin(s). Partially hidden behind groom but only enough to trim off the overages. Nothing straight-on or fully sideways - everything's angled. Arms cropped from shot or hidden, nice angle for her pretty cheeks and shining happy expression, pretty hair curls showing, nice soft lighting with lots of subtle shadows at flattering angles. Backlight nicely emphasizes her beautiful soft golden hair.

IMAGE: http://newport.smugmug.com/Weddings/April-and-Kevin/Aprils-Picks/g011/137378627_vaKYF-M.jpg

Here's a less flattering angle.
IMAGE: http://newport.smugmug.com/Weddings/April-and-Kevin/Aprils-Picks/BLIMG3115-01/137640051_nuf3V-S.jpg

This will probably be the best she'll look in her lifetime - a good day for the photographer to have a clue about how to photograph a non-model.

Gear List / Photosexternal link

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012
SoCal
Sep 15, 2012 14:26 |  #150

Great posts from OP, Rachel and the above. This is really helpful.

Laurenceexternal link :: 6D + Lens

sponsored links

217,536 views & 8 likes for this thread
Slimming Posing Techniques (by popular demand)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.