Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 14 Sep 2012 (Friday) 21:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fisherman

russ925
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Long Island, NY
Sep 14, 2012 21:56 |  #1

Saw this guy on the beach today. It was tough, very clear day without a cloud in the sky

I'm leaning toward the color since the sky is so empty, no detail

Here are both color and B+W versions

Thanks!!

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8033/7987241968_cdf69063f0_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/russ925/7987241​968/] (external link)
Fisherman (external link) by russ925 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8309/7987234439_0c5a07b0e0_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/russ925/7987234​439/] (external link)
Fisherman B+W (external link) by russ925 (external link), on Flickr

T3 gripped / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / Tamron 70-300 VC / Rokinon 8mm fisheye / Canon 430EXII Flash
www.flickr.com/photos/​russ925/

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Sep 14, 2012 22:15 |  #2

I'm sitting here trying to think of something to write about this shot. It's technically competent, if not perhaps a tad underexposed. I'm not a great fan of black and white. So I'm not competent to voice an opinion on that.

I think what I'm stumbling on is that it's just not that engaging. There's no connection between the fisherman and the rod. The rod is aimed in one direction and he's facing the other. When there are people in the shot, showing their eyes always makes it more compelling. He's sitting with his face turned away and his hand is obscuring what little you can see of it.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Brain ­ Mechanic
Goldmember
3,526 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Sep 14, 2012 22:18 |  #3
banned

I would add that the fisherman himself is extremely near the left pic border. I would have put him a bit more to the right. My first impression was that the guy was about to fall off form the picture! LOL!

Gear: a toothed wheel :p
"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals" Michael Bassey Johnson
--Oscar--
flickrexternal link

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Kalama, WA USA
Sep 14, 2012 22:28 |  #4

I have to agree, there just isn't much going on here. The fisherman even seems to be talking on the phone.

The image is fairly well exposed and sharp. Composition could be a bit better moving the fisherman to the left, away from the right edge.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
Sep 14, 2012 23:16 as a reply to Titus213's post |  #5

I see a fisherman who has had no luck, and is staring out to the sea in exasperation.

I also see some nice layers, and as I'm a fan of B&W, I chose that to edit (big edit; I cropped it). Thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Sep 15, 2012 01:58 |  #6

I agree with Kirk and I like his edit, but it still seems a little dark.

-- Image Editing OK --

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Honolulu hawaii
Sep 15, 2012 02:55 |  #7

centered the fisherman a bit - quick and dirty but you get the point

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

View My Flickrexternal link

plumgoo
434 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Vienna, Austria
Sep 15, 2012 06:33 |  #8

I like the first posted photo, more so than the second. KirkS518 said "I see a fisherman who has had no luck, and is staring out to the sea in exasperation.", and that's exactly how I saw it the moment I opened this thread.

I wouldn't edit the original color version of the photograph, the rod's height seems to add to it. Keep it "as is". Nice shot.

60D | Canon 70-200L 4.0 | Canon 17-40L 4.0 | Canon 60 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4| Tokina Fisheye 10-17 3.5-4.5 | Walimax Pro 500 | Tamron 1.4x | Various other bits |
My Smugmugexternal link

russ925
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Long Island, NY
Sep 15, 2012 09:16 |  #9

plumgoo wrote in post #14994262external link
I like the first posted photo, more so than the second. KirkS518 said "I see a fisherman who has had no luck, and is staring out to the sea in exasperation.", and that's exactly how I saw it the moment I opened this thread.

I wouldn't edit the original color version of the photograph, the rod's height seems to add to it. Keep it "as is". Nice shot.

This is what I thought when I saw this gentleman sitting on the rock stairing out in the bay

Thanks for all the comments

T3 gripped / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / Tamron 70-300 VC / Rokinon 8mm fisheye / Canon 430EXII Flash
www.flickr.com/photos/​russ925/

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Central Gulf Coast, Flori-duh
Sep 15, 2012 13:23 as a reply to russ925's post |  #10

Looking again at the edit I did, I agree it is too dark. Maybe I should have done the color. In either case, I like it, I just like my cropped version a little better. :)

Oh, and as a fisherman myself, the rod leaning the other way adds to that feeling of exasperation, or 'I give up', and think it drives that point home.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

sponsored links

1,350 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fisherman
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.