Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 19:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lens for Delivery Room

russ925
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Long Island, NY
Sep 18, 2012 19:19 |  #1

We are having a baby tomorrow and was just curious if a 50mm 1.8 will do in the operating room ( it's a c section). My 35mm is out being repaired.

I have a kit lens as well but with the lighting I was thinking the 50mm

Thanks

T3 gripped / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / Tamron 70-300 VC / Rokinon 8mm fisheye / Canon 430EXII Flash
www.flickr.com/photos/​russ925/

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Sep 18, 2012 19:31 |  #2

On a crop camera, 50mm is going to be much too tight IMO. Sure you could always take a few steps back, but in an OR you aren't going to have tons of space. I think you'd be better off with the 18055 and using the 430EX for bounce flash.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,441 posts
Joined Jul 2010
ɹǝpun uʍop
Sep 18, 2012 19:40 |  #3

Yep, 50 on a crop is a tad long so hopefully you will be able to get right back, if not you are stuffed. There is usually a fair bit of light in the delivery room so natural light is the go, in fact there is no way I would subject a new born to flash photography even using bounce. They have just come into the world and are sensitive to the light as it is. I remember my first born squinting and closing his little eyes because it was the first time he had seen anything that bright. The other thing is you are going to be so gobsmacked photography is probably going to be one of the last things going through your head!! There will be plenty of opportunity in the days after the birth.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flickexternal linkr

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,185 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Sep 18, 2012 19:43 |  #4

Take the 50, but that's tighter than I would like. So take the 18-55 and the 430EX as well. People have wierd notions about the fragility of babies, but a half dozen shots of a newborn with bounced flash isn't going to hurt them.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Sep 18, 2012 19:43 |  #5

L.J.G. wrote in post #15011428external link
Yep, 50 on a crop is a tad long so hopefully you will be able to get right back, if not you are stuffed. There is usually a fair bit of light in the delivery room so natural light is the go, in fact there is no way I would subject a new born to flash photography even using bounce. They have just come into the world and are sensitive to the light as it is. I remember my first born squinting and closing his little eyes because it was the first time he had seen anything that bright. The other thing is you are going to be so gobsmacked photography is probably going to be one of the last things going through your head!! There will be plenty of opportunity in the days after the birth.

Not sure why I didn't think about this right away, but I agree 100%.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Sep 18, 2012 20:00 |  #6

In the actual delivery room a flash won't be necessary. That place will be very well lit. I would use the 18-55 there and use the 50mm in the maternity room. You'll need something fast in there, and using a longer focal length (50mm) won't be too much of a detriment as nothing is moving very quickly.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 18, 2012 20:03 |  #7

I used my 24-105 with a bounced flash. Worked great. Most of the ambient light was from a huge window and a few very directional spot lights.

russ925
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Long Island, NY
Sep 18, 2012 20:14 |  #8

This is the second time around at a different hospital. The last time the operating room was huge.
It's a c-section so I really come into the room as the baby is coming out. They let me see the baby as they clean it up. Then I get kicked out with the baby as they tend to my wife

I was just going to use my cell phone but my wife wants pictures

T3 gripped / Tamron 17-50 2.8 / Tamron 70-300 VC / Rokinon 8mm fisheye / Canon 430EXII Flash
www.flickr.com/photos/​russ925/

deveraux
Joined Oct 2009
Rockford, Illinois
Sep 18, 2012 20:18 |  #9

I used the 16-35 when my first one was born, and although a c-section is different from a natural, there should be ample light in the OR. I am sure if you asked one of the nurses, they could turn one of the lights toward your baby for a few quick snaps.

www.ReicherStudios.comexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Facebook
1DX, Gripped 5Dmk2 | Canon 16-35L II | Canon 24-70L 2.8 II | Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon 300L 2.8 IS II | Canon 100L 2.8 Macro | Canon 85L 1.2 II | Canon MP-E 65mm | Sigma 15 2.8 DX fisheye | Canon TC 2X III | MT-24EX | 580EX II | Gitzo 1541T+Markins Q3T | Full Gear List

peterbj7
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Oct 2007
A Caribbean island in Belize and occasionally UK
Sep 18, 2012 20:26 |  #10

So as not to restrict the DoF too much I'd go for the zoom and use bounce flash if necessary. The 50 wide open will be very difficult to focus usefully.

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

Bumgardnern
976 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Nashvegas
Sep 18, 2012 22:14 |  #11

I used a 24L in the delivery room when my daughter was born. We had a ton of light in the delivery room. The nurses and doctor knew that I was a commercial photographer and adjusted some lights for me and stuff...With your kit I would bring the 18-55 into the OR.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 18, 2012 22:33 as a reply to Bumgardnern's post |  #12

Good luck!
Take kit lens, flash to bounce it. For wide shots.
50 1.8 is going to be OK for little one. I took our baby pictures with 90mm macro on the Rebel.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,474 posts
Joined Mar 2007
middle east
Sep 19, 2012 10:31 |  #13

after being in multiple delivery and operating rooms and delivering a fair number of babies myself, I would say that the 18-55 would fit better.
a flash annoys the baby and, honestly, the staff too.
the baby when s/he comes out will have a full staff taking him to examine him, APGARS and whatnot. More light - bounced or otherwise might be...not welcome. I know that it annoyed the **** out of me.
And in the past, we requested not to bring flashes since there was a case of a broken flash which threw a spark around lines with oxygen...but that was before my time....

just my 2cents

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Sep 19, 2012 12:22 |  #14

Both my kids were C-section and i couldn't imagine that with the clothes I had to wear, mask, shoe coverings, etc that they would let me walk in with a large non sterile item like that. Wow...

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

MNUplander
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Duluth, MN
Sep 19, 2012 12:24 |  #15

Being a new dad twice in a little over a years time, I would have to say I have a differing opinion on this. If there is not a life threatening issue with the baby or momma I can honestly say my first concern is not whether or not the staff is annoyed by a flash. You guys might deliver babies every day but I will only be in that position a couple times in my life and Ill be taking pictures.

Sensibly bounced flashes have never disrupted my kids and if I waited for staff to leave to take pictures, I'd never get a picture taken. There is always one nurse or another coming in to check mom, baby or a machine at all hours of the day and night.

But, advice for the OP - don't get too hung up on bringing specialized gear. Enjoy the moment - our second baby was delivered within moments of getting to the hospital and Id have missed the entire delivery if I went out to get my camera from the trunk. It's good to have pictures, but remember to enjoy the moment.

ceriltheblade wrote in post #15013847external link
after being in multiple delivery and operating rooms and delivering a fair number of babies myself, I would say that the 18-55 would fit better.
a flash annoys the baby and, honestly, the staff too.
the baby when s/he comes out will have a full staff taking him to examine him, APGARS and whatnot. More light - bounced or otherwise might be...not welcome. I know that it annoyed the **** out of me.
And in the past, we requested not to bring flashes since there was a case of a broken flash which threw a spark around lines with oxygen...but that was before my time....

just my 2cents

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2

sponsored links

3,085 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens for Delivery Room
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.