Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 02 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 02:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Old Manual Lenses: Looking for great manual lenses for 5d mark ii

apisgogo
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Oct 02, 2012 02:39 |  #1

Hello,

Lately i developed an interest on manual focus lens. Tested Rokinon 85 1.4 and fell in love with it. Its a different experience altogether using manual focus. As of this, I'm in search a good manual lens to satisfy my new photographic needs.

Im looking for 50 - 85mm range. ATM, I'm looking at these:

1) Minolta Rokkor PG 58mm/f1.2
2) Asahi Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4
3) Minolta MD Rokkor 85/1.7

I already have a EF 50L. Im looking for a lens that can rival/better my 50L. sharpness, color reproduction is what I'm looking for. I love shooting wide open.

I shoot peoples, and videos with my 5dmkii.

Any other suggestion or tips?

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Oct 02, 2012 02:48 |  #2

I can't help with your question, but there is a thread devoted to manual lenses and it's here.
Lots of info, pics and more than one expert in there...

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

saintz
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Oct 02, 2012 09:06 |  #3

The Takumar is probably the way to go.
Also consider the Rokinon 35 if you can go wider.
And the Nikon 50 or 55 1.2 if you want fast (but it's not as sharp).

Sony A6000 | 18-55 | 16-50 | 50 f1.8

apisgogo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Oct 02, 2012 10:43 |  #4

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #15068507external link
I can't help with your question, but there is a thread devoted to manual lenses and it's here.
Lots of info, pics and more than one expert in there...

Thanks for the link!

:)

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Valdese, nc
Oct 02, 2012 12:52 |  #5

Another vote for the Super-Tak. I use mine for portrait work, and it never lets me down. Excellent image quality. Bought it for $70.00 on ebay.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickrexternal link

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Oct 02, 2012 13:01 |  #6

One more vote for the Super-Tak. Great lens!

riffster
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
Oct 05, 2012 14:34 |  #7

I just started messing around with a couple of lenses that I picked up off of Ebay - the Pentacon 135, 2.8 (zebra) and the Helios 44-3. Both pretty cool little lenses but the Helios sure did stand out.

Blogged about it a bit here.external link

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 05, 2012 14:40 |  #8

Leica R
http://www.pebbleplace​.com/Personal/Leica_db​.htmlexternal link

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Tennessee
Oct 05, 2012 16:13 |  #9

Don't let anyone steer you away from one of the greatest lenses ever made. The rokkor 58 1.2 is that lens. Its seriously amazing. Fantastic color and bokeh. Overall look is very catching.

It and the ZE 50 makro are the best 50s you can use on full frame Canons. Ive used tons of fast 50s. It's an amazing lens.

Mac P.
My Zenfolioexternal link My Photo Blogexternal link My Equipment
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=14172975#post14​172975

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Tennessee
Oct 05, 2012 16:14 |  #10

Search out some of Denoir's pics with the 58 wide open, you'll be sold.

Mac P.
My Zenfolioexternal link My Photo Blogexternal link My Equipment
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=14172975#post14​172975

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Leamington, UK
Oct 06, 2012 13:11 |  #11

Are any of these older MF lenses going to deliver anything better, in any real-world sense, than the 50L? I appreciate it's fun to look into these older lenses, but is there really going to be any noticeable IQ improvement? (or maybe OP wants to sell the 50L?)

Paul

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Boston, MA, USA
Oct 06, 2012 13:38 |  #12

paulkaye wrote in post #15087463external link
Are any of these older MF lenses going to deliver anything better, in any real-world sense, than the 50L? I appreciate it's fun to look into these older lenses, but is there really going to be any noticeable IQ improvement? (or maybe OP wants to sell the 50L?)

Well, the coating has seen significant improvements over the decades. Many of the old lenses have also developed yellowing on the glass. The focus confirmation rings are not nearly as precise as the AF, sorry. Myself I find it's not precise enough for manual focus with the narrow depth of field with f/1.4. I put in a EG-S focusing screen so that helped.

Having said that, the 50L is really good but it does have it's weaknesses, starting with the rather blocky looking bloom on background blur. In the end you'll see that each of these lenses has it's own character and you can't simply put them into a one-dimensional ranking.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

DavidR
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Titusville, Florida
Oct 06, 2012 14:09 |  #13

plasticmotif wrote in post #15084561external link
Don't let anyone steer you away from one of the greatest lenses ever made. The rokkor 58 1.2 is that lens. Its seriously amazing. Fantastic color and bokeh. Overall look is very catching.

It and the ZE 50 makro are the best 50s you can use on full frame Canons. Ive used tons of fast 50s. It's an amazing lens.

Have you used a Rokkor 58mm 1.2 on a 5D without it hitting the mirror at infinity focus?

David
Feedback

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Oct 06, 2012 15:04 |  #14

DavidR wrote in post #15087648external link
Have you used a Rokkor 58mm 1.2 on a 5D without it hitting the mirror at infinity focus?

Old conversion school say that is not possible!

Bur new lens converter say it is :-)
My Rokkor 58/1.2 worked at infinity with both EOS 5D classic. But one needs to file down the back lens retaining ring a bit. Others that converted their lens following my description reached infinity as well. But: Some may not, because of lens and camera tolerances!

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Germany
Oct 06, 2012 15:18 |  #15

paulkaye wrote in post #15087463external link
Are any of these older MF lenses going to deliver anything better, in any real-world sense, than the 50L? ..

I don't like AF - and because of this old lenses are much better for me.
Some of the old lenses have a pretty high quality, I have posted this link to Erwin Puts testsexternal link several times by now. Maybe this is the reason for the high prices for manual glass :-)
I work partly in optics industry, and optical designer donĀ“t like lead-free glass. It is much work to make good lenses without these "leaded" glass.

There are image comparisons made with the EF 50/1.0 and 1.2L and Rokkor 58/1.2 and other manual lenses. The Rokkor with its 8mm longer focal length has bigger bokeh rings than the others. And image quality was not bad, probably on par with the EF lenses. But this is probably likely personal preferences.
Coatings on modern lenses should be better, so stray light could be worst on old lenses.

I read astronomers prefer FD glass over EF lenses, because of better quality.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

sponsored links

5,524 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old Manual Lenses: Looking for great manual lenses for 5d mark ii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.