Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 06 Oct 2012 (Saturday) 09:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New camera.....$$$$$$$

gv0861
162 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Oct 06, 2012 09:11 |  #1

According to Canon rumors: " Lots of Megapixels
Received a suggestion today that the new big megapixel camera from Canon would be the Canon EOS-1S. There wasn’t much given in the way of specs, but it’s said to cost in the area of $9000 USD. :shock::shock::shock:This is definitely not sounding like a Nikon D800 competitor.

There was also another mention of superior low ISO performance from the sensor. New technology will be introduced in this camera and will set the stage for sensor development over the next 2-3 years.

Everything coming in about the big megapixel camera is from new people, so pay attention to the [CR1] rating."
Really????

Looking for light in all the right places.

sponsored links
Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Norway
Oct 06, 2012 10:19 |  #2

Ah, super expensive elephant body. It looks like the ones of us waiting for a "Canon D800" can just forget our hopes and dreams for now.

I am prepared to pay 5000 - 6000 for Canon's high MP camera, but 9k is just too much.

But at least we will get to know if Canon has the sensor technology to achieve superlative dynamic range at low ISO without any banding whatsoever. If it has, that will be a great consolation because it means we can continue to invest confidently in Canon stuff while waiting for for the sensor technology (and price) to trickle down to other bodies.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Oct 06, 2012 10:57 |  #3

Osiriz wrote in post #15086923external link
I am prepared to pay 5000 - 6000 for Canon's high MP camera, but 9k is just too much.

Wait a bit after it comes out, the price will drop.

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Oct 06, 2012 11:21 |  #4

Why do people expect Canon's flagship to drop 2-3K in price out of the blue? Buy the Nikon if it's so great.

I will wait for the Canon see what it's about and use it if I can afford it. The IQ180 is the camera I want. Just waiting on the right job to come along!

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COMexternal link
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COMexternal link
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Oct 06, 2012 13:02 |  #5

If it costs $9k, it had better have 16-bit output, full weather sealing, top-shelf AF and more DR than the D800.

If it has these things, I'd buy two.

But I don't see a $9k full-frame DSLR as being remotely competitive in the landscape/studio segment - not with the Pentax 645D at around the same price point and the D800 at a third of the price. The 645D essentially set a price ceiling for full-frame studio/landscape cameras, while the D800 redefined the price point for a pro-featured, high-resolution, high dynamic range body to the $3k-$4k range. There would have to be something special to justify $9k, and the Canon label on the front of the body doesn't count.

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Oct 06, 2012 13:19 |  #6

If it is a $9000 DSLR I agree with the above. For less then that you can get a full digital system with a lens from Mamiya and that will blow the doors off 35mm DSLRs.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Oct 06, 2012 13:28 |  #7

The Fox wrote in post #15087488external link
If it is a $9000 DSLR I agree with the above. For less then that you can get a full digital system with a lens from Mamiya and that will blow the doors off 35mm DSLRs.

Nick

Not necessarily.

There's no technical reason a larger sensor has to have better IQ than a smaller sensor. The smaller sensor needs sharper lenses, but it's easier to make a smaller lens sharp than a larger one. The larger sensor (made using the same technology - CMOS vs CCD is something different entirely) should have better high ISO performance, but larger lenses are also usually slower, and you need to use a narrower aperture to achieve the same depth of field, which compensates for the better high-ISO performance. If you can make a larger lens just as sharp as a smaller lens, then the larger sensor will give you better IQ, but these lenses are few and far between - put even a high-end MF or LF lens in front of a densely-packed 35mm or crop sensor and you'll get mostly mush.

sponsored links

1,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
New camera.....$$$$$$$
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.