Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 12 Oct 2012 (Friday) 15:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Post the best & most artistic picture you've ever taken

light_pilgrim
Joined Jan 2012
Oct 12, 2012 15:37 |  #1

I think this can inspire many people in a gear forum to go out:-)

My contribution:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

www.lightpilgrim.comexternal link ||1x.comexternal link ||500px.comexternal link

sponsored links
Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012
NY
Oct 12, 2012 15:56 |  #2

This was my first go at "artistic" this past summer.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Adam - Upstate NY:

Vendee
354 posts
Joined May 2007
Oct 12, 2012 16:10 as a reply to Nature Nut's post |  #3

This reflection shot was taken with a Minolta A200 before I got my Canon gear. Still one of my favourites though. P.S. nice shot Light Pilgrim

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8080872816_07f933a2a8_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../43829277@N07/80808​72816/] (external link)

| EOS 6D| EOS 3 |EF 24-105mm f/4L|EF 70-200mm f/4L IS |EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF 50 f/1.8 II | Speedlite 430EX II |Pentax MX |Pentax ME Super|Pentax K1000|Kiev 4A|Yashica 24
My stuff:- www.giverin.co.uk (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
Oct 12, 2012 16:18 as a reply to Vendee's post |  #4

I hate to post it, as i've already posted it a few times on here.. but this is one of, if not my most, artistic image.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7114868169_9f9dc8426f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/1tanker/7114868​169/] (external link)
Go with the flow (external link) by 1Tanker (external link), on Flickr

Edit: Yeah that looks very nuclear holocaust-like.. great shot, light_pilgrim! :)

Kel
Gear

The ­ Warlock
505 posts
Joined May 2011
Stavanger, Norway
Oct 12, 2012 16:52 as a reply to 1Tanker's post |  #5

The Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 ZE at f/2 ISO 3200 made it look like a painting

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7271/7563953974_4b51b02420_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...s/the_warlock/75639​53974/] (external link) Wild yellow (external link) by Vass√łyPhotoClub-Vidar (external link), on Flickr"]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link) Wild yellow (external link) by Vass√łyPhotoClub-Vidar, on Flickr (external link)

Canon 60D, Canon 1100D , 17-40 4L , 24mm 1.4L II,Zeiss Distagon T*2/35 ZE,50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 IS L, 50mm 1.8II, 18-55 III, 430 exII,TT Retrospective 20, Lightroom 4.
Set a pen to a dream, and the colour drains from it.
R.H. Barlow and H.P. Lovecraft
"The Night Ocean"

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 12, 2012 16:53 |  #6

As time goes by, I find that I don't really like "artistic" images. I much prefer "realistic" images - ones that look like a photo, not a painting.

I prefer the images that serve more as an accurate visual record of what was really there, rather than images that are so much an "interpretation" of what was there. (I do realize that the two are not entirely mutually exclusive).

Hence, I think that my "best" images are certainly not those that are "most artistic".

Do others share this opinion, or am I alone in this view?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012
NY
Oct 12, 2012 18:24 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #15114441external link
As time goes by, I find that I don't really like "artistic" images. I much prefer "realistic" images - ones that look like a photo, not a painting.

I prefer the images that serve more as an accurate visual record of what was really there, rather than images that are so much an "interpretation" of what was there. (I do realize that the two are not entirely mutually exclusive).

Hence, I think that my "best" images are certainly not those that are "most artistic".

Do others share this opinion, or am I alone in this view?

There's a time and place for both. Art is too subjective to really nail down. I think sometimes a scene will speak for itself and others it might need a little creative encouragement to be pleasing. What great about it is that you can give 5 photographers the same scene and all 5 resulting photos will be different.

Adam - Upstate NY:

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012
GOP
Oct 12, 2012 18:37 |  #8
banned

Let me get my picture of a bug on a bench where I talk about good vs evil.

Oh wait, I take pictures that look good to me, not artistic ones.

What does an artistic photo even mean?

flickrexternal link
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

sjones
Goldmember
2,190 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Oct 12, 2012 18:42 as a reply to Nature Nut's post |  #9

I would find photography suffocatingly boring if all it sought was to Xerox a conventional sense of reality, at least within the inherent limits of a camera. This said, I don't think "art" has to veer away from this more literal interpretation to be successful, since ultimately, there are various components, not just 'painterly' rendering, that contribute to a photograph's artistic appeal (even if the photograph is not "art" itself).

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Oct 12, 2012 18:50 |  #10

Eight_Blade wrote in post #15114801external link
Oh wait, I take pictures that look good to me, not artistic ones.

What does an artistic photo even mean?

IMO, every photo is "artistic" in the sense that the photographer chooses the framing, the DOF, the perspective, the exposure, and the moment to press the shutter button and the processing to follow. As was already mentioned, nailing down a specific definition is very difficult (if not near impossible) because we all have different views. I think when the OP was refering to artistic, s/he meant a photo that shows a different take on reality (although I could be wrong). Using the word "artistic" as a way to qualify something is very vague indeed and many people will take that to mean many different things.

Jason
www.secondglimpse.comexternal link

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012
GOP
Oct 12, 2012 19:04 |  #11
banned

jra wrote in post #15114840external link
IMO, every photo is "artistic" in the sense that the photographer chooses the framing, the DOF, the perspective, the exposure, and the moment to press the shutter button and the processing to follow. As was already mentioned, nailing down a specific definition is very difficult (if not near impossible) because we all have different views. I think when the OP was refering to artistic, s/he meant a photo that shows a different take on reality (although I could be wrong). Using the word "artistic" as a way to qualify something is very vague indeed and many people will take that to mean many different things.

Fair enough, everyone has their own style. As far as I'm concerned - if you like your pictures, that's all that matters.

flickrexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 12, 2012 19:12 |  #12

Interesting discussion. But, the OP asked us to post images, so I thought in all fairness to him I should do so. It'd be good to get back on track with what he wanted this thread to become.

When trying to decide what my "best" image was, I finally realized that I cannot identify any one image as being better than all the others.

So, what I have is not a single "best" picture, but rather a collection of several dozen "personal favorites". Here is one of them, taken earlier this year. I don't know if it is "artistic" or not (that is to be determined by the eye of the beholder). The subjects are wild Prairie Chickens, in South Dakota.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012
GOP
Oct 12, 2012 19:15 |  #13
banned

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8148/7614551712_d7a4eb2666_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/wfarrell4/76145​51712/] (external link)
Big Blue (external link) by wfarrell4 (external link), on Flickr

flickrexternal link

ddk632
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012
Aventura, FL
Oct 12, 2012 19:19 |  #14

I don't know about artistic, it is something different to everyone. The below image is probably one of my favorite images - if not the most favorite - that I have ever taken. I guess that makes it the best and most artistic to me?

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3108/2623464796_9bbbf55af0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../davidkhaykin/26234​64796/] (external link)
IMG_3774_mod (external link) by ddk632 (external link), on Flickr

The other one was on film and I only have a print of it now, hoping to find the negatives so I can scan them in. I like this thread idea, looking forward to all the great pics.

Dmitriy Khaykin (external link)
dk (external link) | f (external link) | ig (external link) | t (external link) | flickr (external link)

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012
GOP
Oct 12, 2012 19:25 |  #15
banned

Who says you can't take architecture shots with the 70-200 IS II. This is nearly 20 stitched images.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Aqua Glow (external link) by wfarrell4 (external link), on Flickr

flickrexternal link

sponsored links

45,829 views & 29 likes for this thread
Post the best & most artistic picture you've ever taken
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.