Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 23 Oct 2012 (Tuesday) 09:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Help me With Compression!

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 23, 2012 09:14 |  #1

Hello everyone! I am producing a 2 hour DVD of video (And, of course, audio). The problem is, I have over 20 gigabytes of data, and only 4.7 GB of room on a DVD!
I know there is a way to compress it so that it will look good, because people do it all the time; two hour DVD's are common!
But I don't know how to compress it correctly; I wish I did, and I have looked for a place to learn, but I cannot figure out how! Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

OR, is there a place that will compress this for me at a relatively low cost?

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sponsored links
liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 23, 2012 14:07 |  #2

Hi D.
I think you will find you need to burn two, one hour dvds as you cannot get the right quality with a compression as much as that...Or possibly get the dvd discs that provide more room!! dual layered discs... but you will need a dual layer burner...steve

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 23, 2012 14:11 |  #3

What are you rendering it as? MPEG2 DVD? You sure you have the original sequence set for DVD quality? 20 gigs for 2 hours is too much. I was able to fit a 2.5 hour video onto a Duel Layer DVD with plenty to spare, Dual Layer is 8.5gigs capacity.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

D. ­ Vance
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 23, 2012 16:20 |  #4

Thank you both. actually, that is the file size of the AVI formatted video before compression; I need to compress that to make it fit on the DVD. Any ideas? I know I can compress it that much, but I don't know how to compress it so that it still has excellent clarity. Thanks!
-Darin

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 23, 2012 17:01 |  #5

It all depends on the quality/format of the final video. You clearly need to hire a professional video editor to create the right output for the right media if you do not know this answer. A 1 hour video at 1080p and MPEG2 compression will fit on 1 DVD. A 2 hour video at lower quality such as 720p can fit on a single DVD.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

D. ­ Vance
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 23, 2012 18:21 |  #6

I know to use MPEG 2, but can you tell me what setting it should be at as a general guideline (MBPS, etc) I want to become a professional myself, but nobody will give specifics, and I don't know where to learn.
Do you at least have a link to a cheap-ish professional?

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 24, 2012 02:08 as a reply to  @ D. Vance's post |  #7

What software are you editing on and like everyone says do you want just standard dv or hd final output to dvd? If you want just standard then output it as dv widescreen to dual layered discs. if its bluray or mpeg2 or avchd or? then burn to bluray discs.

sponsored links

726 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please Help me With Compression!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.