Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 14:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

help required with EOS 1000D

photoseeker
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Nov 08, 2012 14:45 |  #1

HI everyone. Noob to the EOS camp here!

I've been using my G12 with extreme pleasure. I bought my wife a 1000D with a sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC

we are getting ready to go on holidays and she insists to take the 1000D with us for the kids (although I never had problems with the G12).

I am so baffled with this camera. First, I couldn't see what I was shooting. I could only see the settings!
After going through the manual, I figured out that not only did I need to enable 'live view' (shouldn't this be standard?), but I also had to go to single shot mode and choose 1 AF point!
The process took me almost 3 days of searching the net as the manual seems to have been written for another camera (or a different brain than mine).

Anyhow, till now, and after much research I have gotten to the point where to take a picture I need to click the set button, zoom, then click the *(star) button which makes the LCD turn off and then on again for it to focus and take a pic.
This is ridiculous!
Please tell me I am doing something wrong and that there is a simple way for me to take a shot while seeing what I am shooting on the LCD back and using any mode I need.

Thank you!

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Nov 08, 2012 14:48 |  #2

photoseeker wrote in post #15223090external link
After going through the manual, I figured out that not only did I need to enable 'live view' (shouldn't this be standard?), but I also had to go to single shot mode and choose 1 AF point!
The process took me almost 3 days of searching the net as the manual seems to have been written for another camera (or a different brain than mine).

Anyhow, till now, and after much research I have gotten to the point where to take a picture I need to click the set button, zoom, then click the *(star) button which makes the LCD turn off and then on again for it to focus and take a pic.
This is ridiculous!
Please tell me I am doing something wrong and that there is a simple way for me to take a shot while seeing what I am shooting on the LCD back and using any mode I need.

Thank you!

Please learn to use the viewfinder, thats how the camera was designed to be used. If you cant do that, then consider getting a different camera iike the new canon M where its meant to be used like a point and shoot with changeable lenses.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012
NY
Nov 08, 2012 14:49 |  #3

The Live View mode you are using was not intended to be the primary way to use a DSLR, unlike a P&S which most have just a back screen. Try using the viewfinder and it should become much easier and quicker for you.

Adam - Upstate NY:

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 08, 2012 14:53 |  #4

With Canon DSLR's, they are designed more to be used via the viewfinder. This is a major distinction between the 1000D and your G12. On the 1000D, live view autofocus is super slow. You only get the fast phase-detect autofocus when you are not in live view mode. The typical "picture taking" steps I take when using my 1000D is: 1) frame my subject in the view finder, 2) half-press the shutter button to focus, and 3) completely depress the shutter button to take the picture. The only time I find live view useful is when I'm using a tripod and I'm using manual focus in those cases.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

photoseeker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Nov 08, 2012 16:25 |  #5

Thanks everyone. I still have my F1n and if film wasnt so expensive I'd have used that.
But I get the picture (no pun intended).
Still learning!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 09, 2012 07:05 |  #6

I still have my F1n

You looked through a viewfinder with the F1n, why can't you do so now? The best thing to do with the LCD screen, and what it is intended for, is to have it show the image after being taken to check exposure, composition, focus, etc. Some of us that are more advanced might also look at a histogram and other available details.

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Nov 09, 2012 07:14 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #15225631external link
You looked through a viewfinder with the F1n, why can't you do so now? The best thing to do with the lcd screen, and what it is intended for, is to have it show the image after being taken to check exposure, composition, focus, etc. Some of us that are more advanced might also look at a histogram and other available details.

Fixed that for you. :)

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Bourbon, Indiana
Nov 09, 2012 10:39 |  #8
banned

Use the optical view-finder. Once you get used to it, you'll laugh at people using a 5D2 to take snapshots at the park while using LiveView. Or be envious of their (wasted) equipment.

Gear List

photoseeker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Nov 10, 2012 11:22 |  #9

I'm getting used to using the viewfinder like I did with my old camera. Took a little while as I got so hooked on the G12 and the way it worked that I had forgotten the basics!

uncle_rico
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2012
Dec 15, 2012 08:09 |  #10

Hi everyone, Im not able to post my own thread yet so I thought Id be cheeky and join someone elses. I have a problem with my 1000D. First of all I know NOTHING about cameras or lenses and bought the body only. I would like to take my own photos in studio or at home of headshots or portraits. I have no idea what lens I would need for this and also baffled at the size of them and I have a feeling I may need more than one part when buying a lens in order to attach it to the camera body itself. Am I right? Also is there an all round lens I can buy to start with that most people use? Because when I look online at lenses theyre all small little things but when I see others using pro cameras they seem pretty long with stabilizers, autofocus things attached. I know I may sound thick but Im not a photography enthusiast I just got the camera dirt cheap (under £100) and thought it would be nice to have a decent camera to take photos for my blog. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help x [

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Dec 15, 2012 10:33 |  #11

uncle_rico wrote in post #15369436external link
Hi everyone, Im not able to post my own thread yet so I thought Id be cheeky and join someone elses. I have a problem with my 1000D. First of all I know NOTHING about cameras or lenses and bought the body only. I would like to take my own photos in studio or at home of headshots or portraits. I have no idea what lens I would need for this and also baffled at the size of them and I have a feeling I may need more than one part when buying a lens in order to attach it to the camera body itself. Am I right? Also is there an all round lens I can buy to start with that most people use? Because when I look online at lenses theyre all small little things but when I see others using pro cameras they seem pretty long with stabilizers, autofocus things attached. I know I may sound thick but Im not a photography enthusiast I just got the camera dirt cheap (under £100) and thought it would be nice to have a decent camera to take photos for my blog. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help x [

18-55IS ?

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009
League City, TX USA (Houston)
Dec 15, 2012 16:22 |  #12

uncle_rico wrote in post #15369436external link

watt100 wrote in post #15369825external link
18-55IS ?

I agree. Pick up a used Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6 IS and BE SURE that it says "IS" as that is very important. IS stands for "Image Stabilized" which is a function that allows you to move the camera, slightly, while taking the photo and still get a sharp, in focus image. But, more importantly, the IS version of the lens has better optics and will give you better photos than the non-IS version!

This is a "zoom" lens so you can vary the focal length from 18mm to 55mm. For 'headshots or portraits' you'll want to use the 50mm to 55mm range but for shooting landscapes or architecture you will want to use the 'wider' end: 18mm to 35mm. This will allow you to experiment with different focal lengths and then decide if any additional lenses and what focal length are needed.

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

876 views & 0 likes for this thread
help required with EOS 1000D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.