Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

 
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities
Thread started 16 May 2006 (Tuesday) 19:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Worldwide POTN Meet! Let's do it!!

 
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
Ronald S. Jr.'s Avatar
16,390 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Sayre, Pennsylvania
May 18, 2006 13:32 as a reply to post 1523252 |  #61

tommykjensen wrote:
Are You sure You know everything about UK to be able to say there is nothing You would want to see and photograph?

NYC or another major city in US, Los Angeles, San Diego or even somewhere in Canada definately make sense to me since most members are from US/Canada. But that also means that if members from Europe should have an oportunity to perticipate then we would be looking at summer 2007 not summer 2006.


Well, nothing I can think of, anyway. Make a list of things that you think are interesting, and I'd consider it. I just can't think of anything at all, really, that would make me want to make that trip. I'm sure it's a lovely place, but at this point, just not worth it in my mind. Plus, I wouldn't be able to stay for any real length of time, because of money. I can't imagine how much it would be to stay there for like a week, what with plane fare, lodgings, food, etc. Gotta be a couple thousand anyway, and that's just too much.


Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,891 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
May 18, 2006 13:37 as a reply to Ronald S. Jr.'s post |  #62

Ronald S. Jr. wrote:
Well, nothing I can think of, anyway. Make a list of things that you think are interesting, and I'd consider it. I just can't think of anything at all, really, that would make me want to make that trip. I'm sure it's a lovely place, but at this point, just not worth it in my mind. Plus, I wouldn't be able to stay for any real length of time, because of money. I can't imagine how much it would be to stay there for like a week, what with plane fare, lodgings, food, etc. Gotta be a couple thousand anyway, and that's just too much.

I really don't know UK that well but I am almost 100% sure that the UK members can come up with interesting things and places to see.

As for the cost. That is why it should take place next year. And the cost of going from Europe to US is probably the same or maybe higher so that issue is the same for us in Europe.


EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

LOG IN TO REPLY
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
saravrose's Avatar
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Between here and there
May 18, 2006 13:38 |  #63

I think it would be worth it.. and i'm not rich. But eventually i'm going to be a 'real' grown up and trips like this won't be in the cards anymore..... we should go out and explore while were young.. before the whole career, mortgage, marriage, children stuff starts...

sari


Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

LOG IN TO REPLY
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
saravrose's Avatar
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Between here and there
May 18, 2006 13:46 as a reply to tommykjensen's post |  #64

tommykjensen wrote:
I really don't know UK that well but I am almost 100% sure that the UK members can come up with interesting things and places to see.

As for the cost. That is why it should take place next year. And the cost of going from Europe to US is probably the same or maybe higher so that issue is the same for us in Europe.

Besides the real interests occurs in the places that don't instantly come to mind.. the nooks and crannies of a location that hold it's history and give you a sense of the area... but to say that nothing comes to mind is all the more reason to go, atleast to me..

sari


Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

LOG IN TO REPLY
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
Ronald S. Jr.'s Avatar
16,390 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Sayre, Pennsylvania
May 18, 2006 13:48 |  #65

I'm not rich either. The income is there, but it all has places to go. I hardly ever have money for "fun". Over a year, I could probably save enough to go there for a week or two, but man...seems like an awful lot of money for that. I'd definitely have to see some other places to make it worth it. I'd take a day train trip to Italy, probably. Wanna go, Sari? :lol:

That might be a nice idea. Those that want to go to a couple other countries could plan the whole thing so we go as a group. I know I don't want to go alone. No way.


Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

LOG IN TO REPLY
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
saravrose's Avatar
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Between here and there
May 18, 2006 13:58 as a reply to Ronald S. Jr.'s post |  #66

Ronald S. Jr. wrote:
I'm not rich either. The income is there, but it all has places to go. I hardly ever have money for "fun". Over a year, I could probably save enough to go there for a week or two, but man...seems like an awful lot of money for that. I'd definitely have to see some other places to make it worth it. I'd take a day train trip to Italy, probably. Wanna go, Sari? :lol:

That might be a nice idea. Those that want to go to a couple other countries could plan the whole thing so we go as a group. I know I don't want to go alone. No way.

do I feel like planning a trip to Italy... are you nutty enough to think that I wouldn't want to go? hmm.... you don't know me very well.. yeah, I think I could stand to go to Italy and what about greece? where is Pekka at again? If the Brass American's are going over the ocean I'd like to see the big man in charge.. How about it Tommy? Italy, England, Coppenhagen?

POTN does Europe.. somebody send a PM to Maureen...

sari


Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

LOG IN TO REPLY
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
Ronald S. Jr.'s Avatar
16,390 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005
Sayre, Pennsylvania
May 18, 2006 14:20 |  #67

Pekka's in Finland. Not too terribly far from Tommy.

No, you're right. You don't know me, and I don't know you. That's why we should spend a day in NYC, and then fly from there to wherever in Europe. Along with whoever.


Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

LOG IN TO REPLY
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,891 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
May 18, 2006 14:25 as a reply to saravrose's post |  #68

saravrose wrote:
do I feel like planning a trip to Italy... are you nutty enough to think that I wouldn't want to go? hmm.... you don't know me very well.. yeah, I think I could stand to go to Italy and what about greece? where is Pekka at again? If the Brass American's are going over the ocean I'd like to see the big man in charge.. How about it Tommy? Italy, England, Coppenhagen?

POTN does Europe.. somebody send a PM to Maureen...

sari

Sounds like it could be fun.


EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

LOG IN TO REPLY
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
saravrose's Avatar
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Between here and there
May 18, 2006 14:29 |  #69

I'm thinking if we plan it for next year everybody can work shoots and schedules around the trip.. and ofcourse still do the NY meet. i'm not very familiar with how far away things are in europe but it seems kind of compact.. compared to the U.S. Northwest that is... and I think the traveling would be as fun as the destinations..

sari


Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

LOG IN TO REPLY
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,891 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
May 18, 2006 14:48 |  #70

Hehe there are some distance to cover.

Flight Copenhagen <-> London approx 2 hours
Flight Copenhagen <-> Rome approx 2,5 hours
Flight Copenhagen <-> Prague approx 1,5 hours
TGV Train London <-> Paris approx 3 hours

This is just a few examples I could find right now.


EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

LOG IN TO REPLY
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
saravrose's Avatar
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Between here and there
May 18, 2006 14:54 as a reply to tommykjensen's post |  #71

tommykjensen wrote:
Hehe there are some distance to cover.

Flight Copenhagen <-> London approx 2 hours
Flight Copenhagen <-> Rome approx 2,5 hours
Flight Copenhagen <-> Prague approx 1,5 hours
TGV Train London <-> Paris approx 3 hours

This is just a few examples I could find right now.

I like the idea of Paris.. I think we might like to keep everything pretty central though... what about Ireland?

sari


Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

LOG IN TO REPLY
peacock
Goldmember
peacock's Avatar
1,919 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Hampshire , South Coast UK
May 18, 2006 15:01 as a reply to Ronald S. Jr.'s post |  #72

Sounds like a mini adventure, you guys could meet up stateside nyc , cheap flights to London , then borrow camping gear of us Brits , hire a minibus / small coach then spend a week travelling through europe meeting / picking up members en-route, Us guys can fly home ,europeans can travellel back on the bus to the uk or fly home:D sound like and adventure and cut costs for some.


Just started populating a site with snaps @
www.3cakes.co.uk

LOG IN TO REPLY
tommykjensen
Cream of the Crop
20,891 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark.
May 18, 2006 15:01 |  #73

Ireland is not central :lol: But that would probably also be a a great country to visit. Ohh there are so many places in Europe I haven't been to but would like to see someday.


EDITING OF MY PHOTOS IS NOT ALLOWED

LOG IN TO REPLY
saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
saravrose's Avatar
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Between here and there
May 18, 2006 15:08 as a reply to tommykjensen's post |  #74

tommykjensen wrote:
Ireland is not central :lol: But that would probably also be a a great country to visit. Ohh there are so many places in Europe I haven't been to but would like to see someday.

okay, I was googling.. if we do it lets either, rent a van or something along those lines or take the trains.. allthough i'm not very good at currency changes it doesn't seem to be all that expensive the plane fare.. will be the expensive part.. tommy, what are the areas that are closest to England?

sari.


Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

LOG IN TO REPLY
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Woolburr's Avatar
Joined Sep 2005
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
May 18, 2006 15:09 |  #75

Virtually any country in the world affords photographic opportunities. Perhaps for ideological reasons, some places might get ruled out. NYC is an attractive travel destination for many, because it is a gateway and travel to and from gateway cities tends to be more reasonable than to other locales. On the down side, lodging in NYC is astronomical which tends to negate the travel savings. Perhaps with as many members as we have, we should just charter the "Freedom of the Seas" and have a floating meet.


People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

17,068 views & 0 likes for this thread
Worldwide POTN Meet! Let's do it!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities


Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...


AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.

POWERED BY AMASS 1.4version 1.4
made in Finland
by Pekka Saarinen
for photography-on-the.net
Spent 0.00229 for 6 database queries.
PAGE COMPLETED IN 0.02s
Latest registered member is junkyardninja
741 guests, 595 members online
Simultaneous users record so far is 6106, that happened on Jun 09, 2016