Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of November 2012 (Fri)   #2476
GMCPhotographics
Goldmember

Default Re: Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Arbogast View Post
Thanks for that very helpful image sample post Gareth...just seeing the difference in the polarized vs. non-polarized really prompts me to want to order this. I had been strongly considering getting a Zeiss 15 (for non-archtitectural shooting) which supports CPLs without requiring an extra add-on like the WonderPana, but I'm starting to think I should invest in outfitting my TS-E 17 with a WonderPana instead. I would definitely like being able to control reflections with the TS-E 17.

Let us know when you get a chance to review the 5-stop filter - whether it's adequately color-neutral.
Yep, will do....at the moment, their customer care team seem to be avoiding me and not replying to my inquires.
GMCPhotographics is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of November 2012 (Fri)   #2477
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPhotographics View Post
I'm away in three weeks time for a landscape trip to Northumbria, UK. I'm really looking forwards to it and I'm hoping to get some good use of this rig too. I'm not sure I want to take this lens anywhere near to coat though....the waves in December can be surprisingly erratic and this lens is far from weather sealed! Thankfully there's a few inland castles to shoot.
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the images. Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Arbogast View Post
Thanks for that very helpful image sample post Gareth...just seeing the difference in the polarized vs. non-polarized really prompts me to want to order this. I had been strongly considering getting a Zeiss 15 (for non-archtitectural shooting) which supports CPLs without requiring an extra add-on like the WonderPana, but I'm starting to think I should invest in outfitting my TS-E 17 with a WonderPana instead. I would definitely like being able to control reflections with the TS-E 17.

Let us know when you get a chance to review the 5-stop filter - whether it's adequately color-neutral.

EDIT: I just ordered the Wonder Pana and CPL...I'll hold off on the ND32 until I get a good report on the color-neutrality. I tried a Hitech ND once and it had an unacceptable-to-me magenta cast, so I've been leary of NDs not from Lee or Singh-Ray. Actually the price right now on the WonderPana with CPL is really cheap, which is a little concerning regarding the quality of the CPL. An 82mm B+W Kaesemann CPL nearly costs as much as the whole WonderPana + CPL kit.

Anyone planning to use a GND of some sort with this kit? I don't like the notion of the screw-in options from Fotodiox, but what about hand-holding a large Lee GND directly in front of the WonderPana? Or is there an available bracket that support GNDs on the WonderPana?
I don't plan to use GNDs on this setup. Exposure blending should do the trick. Plus, the WP gnds are 4mm thick!
jdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of November 2012 (Mon)   #2478
sas8888

a view from our farm Baoba tree about 400 years old

16-35L 50 1.4 85L 135L
70-200 IS Mk2 17mm TS-e
sas8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of November 2012 (Mon)   #2479
BIGANDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas8888 View Post
a view from our farm Baoba tree about 400 years old

Wonderfull!!! very nice

Mikkel Bigandt
BIGANDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #2480
GMCPhotographics
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPhotographics View Post
Yep, will do....at the moment, their customer care team seem to be avoiding me and not replying to my inquires.
After a few attempts, I got through to them and they have just sent me the correct ND 32 filter I was after. It's pretty decent, quite neutral. With a slight magenta cast (but not as strong as my 5 stop Heliopan ND). Here' a test shot today...it's been raining heavily here and when it stopped, the sun was way too harsh. There seems to be a lot of internal reflections from the holder itself and a bit of flare induced from the filters.

With one filter, I can shift up, down, left and right fully. With 2 filters, I can mange full left and right, but about 9mm up and down. Which is fine for most applications....but I think i need to be careful with that flare....it's not a rig to point into a setting sun!

I'm really happy with the convienince of the holder and the filters are very good too...if a bit on the large size. Keeping finger prints off the surfaces is a lot harder with these 145mm filters! They seem to appear out of nowhere!

Here's a test shot of my back yard. The sun was pretty harsh and about 1/2 from setting. This shot also shows the magenta cast, my test shots were all taken on Daylight wb for comparison.

Last edited by GMCPhotographics : 22nd of November 2012 (Thu) at 04:05. Reason: Added a photo
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #2481
jdizzle
Darth Noink

^*Thanks for your feedback, Gareth. I've yet to test mine out. Grrrr!

"When your're blessed, the haters come out. When you wear God's blessings well, don't be surprised if it draws jealousy out on people."
jdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #2482
ncsa
Goldmember

I have been searching for the lens specs which show now much of the lens protrudes beyond the barrel casing - would anyone have a link to that detail or be able to indicate what that measurement is?

Cheers
Old 22nd of November 2012 (Thu)   #2483
GMCPhotographics
Goldmember

Here's a few shots to describe a little more info.
This shot is with no filters and WB set to daylight:

This shot is with the 5 stop ND 32 filter. Same wb setting and metered in manual. The camera stated a 5 stop difference, but the exposure looked about 1/3 under to my eyes so I over exposed by 1/3 stop and the exposure seems pretty spot on. Usually ND filters meter slightly different and I've never had one that was exactly as stated (ie 3/5/9 stops). This one is fairly close, I have seen as much as 2/3 stop difference than stated (Lee NDG's funnily enough were the worst I've seen).
The magenta cast is very easily removed in Post prod, +300 blue / yellow, +29 green /pink sliders in light room seems to make things approx neutral.

This last shot shows the mechanical vignetting when using maximum vertical shift with both the ND32 and CPL. There is no vignetting with the side to side movements in portrait orientation, but I would assume the same vignetting in landscape orientation with maximum shift. But if we only shift using the shortest range, giving a squarer picture, there is no vignetting with 2 filters. If we only use one filter there is no vignetting at all.

The CPL is labeled as a slim CPL...and to be frank, it's not that slim. It's no slimmer than the big chunky 105mm CPL's available from Lee, Sigma and Heliopan. It reminds me a lot of those filters and I guess that it's the volume of glass that dictates the need for a chunky rim. These are not flimsy filter but quite robust feeling.
Old 24th of November 2012 (Sat)   #2484
aratj

offtop )

good video

http://vimeo.com/49753231#at=0
Old 24th of November 2012 (Sat)   #2485
mizer357

a look at downtown manhattan and jersey across the hudson in partial blackout a few days after sandy.

mizer357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2012 (Thu)   #2486
ddk632

Canon 6D and TS-E 17 in Chicago

The Drake, Chicago by EOS 6D by ddk632, on Flickr

Entrance by ddk632, on Flickr

Intersection by ddk632, on Flickr
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
ddk632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2012 (Thu)   #2487
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2012 (Thu)   #2488
sas8888

sunrise

16-35L 50 1.4 85L 135L
70-200 IS Mk2 17mm TS-e
sas8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of December 2012 (Thu)   #2489
tomcat7886
Goldmember