FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 23 Nov 2012 (Friday) 11:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ScottsGT
Joined Mar 2009
628 posts
Columbia, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

Had a major hard drive failure on my imac last month, now it's up and running like a new mac. (Snow Leopard) I found a very old EOS software disc, Ver. 9.1. Loaded it, went to Canons website, downloaded the latest version of DPP.

I cannot get the window to open that asks me to select or down load all (Utilities?) when the camera is first connected. Only way to get photos is off iPhoto. It will download, but does not install photos in DPP. I have to create a file individually for my dates, transfer each over one at a time.
A.) What am I doing wrong?
B.) Search here tells me Canon no longer supports the 5D in it's DPP software. Am I screwed?
C.) I just tried my first RAW to Jpg and it converted ALL the photos in that file to jpg. Again, what am I doing wrong?

I really miss my old DPP that automatically set up files by the dates of my photos. Anyway to get this function back?

This hobby is getting more frustrating than it is worth. Either Canon will have to come around, or just keep watching the classifieds. Life's too short to fight with ever changing software and lack of support from manufacturers.

Post #1, Nov 23, 2012 11:49:48

...it's just a hobby....it's just a hobby......it's now a illness!
7D, 5D & G11 18-55 EF-S IS, EF 50 f1.8,
70-200 2.8L IS, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L,
EF 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 580EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
2,439 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

For DPP to open as the default app you need to go to Image Capture and change the settings there. When DPP imports it should automatically create the folder in the destination drive.

http://lifehacker.com ...ch-camera-in-snow-leopardexternal link

Post #2, Nov 23, 2012 12:41:27

~Steve~
~ My Website-stopbathimages.comexternal link ~ Facebookexternal link
Feedback Feedback Feedback

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,292 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

You might be able to find some help at http://software.canon-europe.com/products/00​10252.aspexternal link. Select an operating system and language at the top and the available software, supposedly specifc to the 5D and including older versions will be listed. I tested it before this post and I see several versions of DPP that will work for the MAC O/S but you know better than I what to search for.

Post #3, Nov 23, 2012 14:11:34

ScottsGT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
628 posts
Columbia, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

It won't even work with my 7D

Post #4, Nov 23, 2012 17:18:23

melcat
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,054 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Version 2.7.2 of EOS Utility supports the 5D, but it has a bug that can screw up firmware updates. I researched this a month or so ago, I think from the same source John from PA points to and some others.

You can, and I did, update the 5D firmware by copying a file to the CF card, without using EOS Utility. Nonetheless, I would be very leery of having 2.7.2 on a production machine in case there's some kind of automatic update procedure that could brick the camera.

Snow Leopard and later have tethering and upload support built in to the OS. Image Capture can both upload to a specific folder (by default ~/Pictures) and shoot tethered to a folder. I think the second is hidden under the File menu or somewhere. I tried it with my 5D on Snow Leopard and it works. Apple seem to have built this from scratch.

Adobe used Canon's library so Lightroom can't tether the 5D any more.

And no, this is not acceptable behaviour from Canon when they marketed the 5D as "professional" or for "serious amateurs".

Post #5, Nov 23, 2012 20:32:51

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,292 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

A few months back I had a software issue with DPP. Not getting any answer here I opened a support case directly with Canon (via web) and I was pleasantly surprised with the extremely fast and very supportive response. Probably within a day a problem was identified and a temporary work around was obtained. More importantly the issue has been identified and although very rare it will be fixed in the next DPP release.

The moral here is if you have a real issue, then get onto the support site and open a case. There is a high probability you will get swift resolution.

Post #6, Nov 24, 2012 08:08:56

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
Joined May 2012
8,513 posts
U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

flowrider wrote in post #15279868external link
For DPP to open as the default app you need to go to Image Capture and change the settings there. When DPP imports it should automatically create the folder in the destination drive.

http://lifehacker.com ...ch-camera-in-snow-leopardexternal link

^^^^THIS

Have you tried this?

Post #7, Nov 24, 2012 09:39:22

Mark-BAT

ScottsGT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
628 posts
Columbia, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

rrblint wrote in post #15282931external link
^^^^THIS

Have you tried this?

I did. It all appeared to be working, but after the long 265 image download, nothing new was in DPP. No new files, searched everything in DPP and could not find any of the images that are on my camera right now.

Currently the only thing that halfway works is to download to iphoto, but when I copy the file to DPP, it automatically converts it to a .jpg. I'm losing my RAW files.

I'm about to put the service request in with Canon, but is there another software I can use that works like DPP and lets me work with my RAW files?

And I'm trying to avoid the card reader. I know it's faster, but I just don't like taking a chance with all those pins in the socket and possibly bending one.

Post #8, Nov 28, 2012 10:17:46

LIST NEARBY THREADS
662 views & 0 likes for this thread
DPP and my 5D on Mac?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES