Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 28 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 04:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reducing glare on cars

- ­ ASH ­ -
106 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 28, 2012 04:25 |  #1

Normally, I would search the net and try everything I can think of to overcome an issue, but this is one I haven't had much luck with.

The issue I am having is with glare / hot spots, especially on silver and white cars (not unsurprisingly). Its something I cannot seem to avoid. I understand that the angle / direction of the sun does play a part, but I find that no matter what angle it's at, I still have the issue on the car somewhere.

The only luck I have had trying to minimise it is to underexpose the picture, but, then its underexposed.....

I have tried rotating the polariser to work on the area of the car, but that doesnt really make a difference either.

Anyone out there with any fancy (or not so fancy) ways on minimising this?

Here are some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

Large blown area on the front bumper.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Blown area aswell, but doesn't stand out as much as above.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Again, small blown area, but I wouldnt want to drop the exposure any further.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Cheers,
Ash.

500px (external link)

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 28, 2012 10:40 |  #2

- ASH - wrote in post #15298787 (external link)
Normally, I would search the net and try everything I can think of to overcome an issue, but this is one I haven't had much luck with.

The issue I am having is with glare / hot spots, especially on silver and white cars (not unsurprisingly). Its something I cannot seem to avoid. I understand that the angle / direction of the sun does play a part, but I find that no matter what angle it's at, I still have the issue on the car somewhere.

The only luck I have had trying to minimise it is to underexpose the picture, but, then its underexposed.....

I have tried rotating the polariser to work on the area of the car, but that doesnt really make a difference either.

Anyone out there with any fancy (or not so fancy) ways on minimising this?

Here are some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.

Large blown area on the front bumper.

Cheers,
Ash.

Suggestions at this link? (external link)

- ­ ASH ­ -
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 29, 2012 16:11 |  #3

Thanks for the link. Lots of decent info in there, but still doesn't exactly cover what Im trying to sort out. I cannot manage to reduce the glare, even with the polariser rotated to work on that area without substantially underexposing the rest of the picture. Maybe its just something have to deal with and try and work around as much as possible with slightly different angles.

500px (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 30, 2012 17:41 |  #4

Although there are some blown-out spots in the above images, I think the images work well overall. I didn't even notice the blown out areas because the overall exposure is spot on. Shooting motorsports means working within the confines you're given. It's not like you can move your subject to a specified area where you have full control over all lighting aspects.

As long as the shapes of the cars are well defined and the overall exposure is balanced, don't worry about hot spots.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

veritasimagerynw
132 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Dec 01, 2012 13:29 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #5

+1. I think the shots are real good. Like Jacob said, shooting motorsports means a certain amount of compromise. Lighting is what nature gives us. It's one thing to be able to reduce glare on a stationary car, but something you may not be able to hope for on a fast moving one.

Kevin
Canon AE-1 Program, Canon A-1, Canon T3i (gripped), Canon 60D (gripped), Various lenses
http://veritasimageryn​w.smugmug.com/external link
http://www.facebook.co​m/VeritasImageryNW?ref​=hlexternal link

- ­ ASH ­ -
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 03, 2012 15:43 |  #6

Thanks guys. Its good to hear that other shooters don't see it as too much of a problem. They guys buying the shots don't seem to mind (or even notice for that matter). I am always over critical of my own shots, with little things that everyone else will never even notice, I just have to keep reminding myself of that.

Cheers!

500px (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 04, 2012 17:04 |  #7

Have to agree with the others ASH.
I don't see anything to be concerned about with those pics.
With all the different angles and surfaces that the sun/light reflects off, you'll virtually never eliminate all of the glare/reflections.
What I usually do with a hot spot like those is usually correct it in post with the dodge/burn tool - or just leave it.

In the pic of the yellow Commodore, more distracting to me is the stray and clipped Nissan in the bottom left corner and the billboards in the background of all three images.
Those shots could be improved a whole lot if cropped a bit tighter to get rid of those distractions.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

sponsored links

1,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reducing glare on cars
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.