Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 13 Dec 2012 (Thursday) 13:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's the primary purpose for a hand strap?

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Dec 13, 2012 13:44 |  #1

Is it merely for carrying around the camera without having it hang from your neck or shoulder? Does it also stabilize the camera when shooting? Can it help with hand fatigue - perhaps you don't need to hold it as tightly?

I've been shooting a lot with the 7D and the 100-400 and getting used to the fairly substantial feel of this combo. Coming from a T3i and much smaller lenses, the weight and bulk is taking some getting used to. It's probably more to do with not being used to the weight and the ergonomics (I am pretty strong and athletic, so it is not purely a strength issue) but I feel more fatigue with this combo. Will a hand strap help with this?

Finally, any recommendations for hand straps that will work with a 7D? The E2 Canon strap is 45 bucks - like every other accessory from Canon, it sounds like excessive. Looks like the herringbone leather hand strap is highly regarded - price is close to the Canon one. Any others to consider? I plan to get an RRS camera standard plate for it and connect the strap to the lug on the plate. I assume that will work.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Austin, Texas
Dec 13, 2012 14:37 |  #2

I use one instead of a neck strap. I am female and have small hands so it does help me grip the camera. I do have calluses (!!) on that hand.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Philadelphia, PA USA
Dec 13, 2012 14:46 |  #3

I used one for a little while on a gripped camera body. It was nice not having to grip it as tightly, it could sort of "dangle" on the handstrap a bit against my hand. I eventually decided not to use it though, because slipping my hand in and out for shooting in landscape/portrait was annoying. You can find generic E2 handstraps on ebay all day long for under $15 that work just as well as the Canon version.

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Facebookexternal link
Equipment/Feedback

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Dec 13, 2012 14:56 |  #4

It's an anti-oh sh!t device.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,467 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles
Dec 13, 2012 15:18 as a reply to cdifoto's post |  #5

I took off my neck strap in the 1st week and got a cheap wrist strap. After some practice, it has become very useful. Mainly, it allows the camera to dangle from my wrist when I need to use my hand - primarily when changing lens or strolling to a new shooting position.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Dec 13, 2012 15:44 |  #6

What brand did you get? When I do an eBay search for canon hand strap, I get lots of hits for straps from 5-10 bucks. I don't particularly want to pay forty bucks for an OEM strap, but I don't want to get a cheap POS either and cause me to drop my camera.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Dec 13, 2012 16:24 |  #7

I don't use a hand strap or a neck strap unless I'm transporting and I have yet to drop my camera. Sometimes I even balance the grip on the tips of my fingers, letting it dangle. If I need both hands, I'll sometimes wedge it between my arms like a book.

I used to have an OEM hand strap but it got in the way more often than not.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,587 posts
Joined Nov 2005
San Diego County, California, USA
Dec 13, 2012 17:01 as a reply to cdifoto's post |  #8

I suggest using a carbon fiber monopod with your 7D + 100-400L lens. A carbon fiber pod is a lot lighter in weight for the package it can support.

I use one with either my 400mm f/5.6L or my 300mm f/4L IS lens.

When walking I simply hang the camera/lens over my shoulder and hold on to the monopod like a handle.

This video shows using a larger and heavier lens with a monopod. Right at the end of the video it shows how he moves with the monopod + camera/lens over his shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=iMgZ13X_pr4external link

When shooting, supporting the camera/lens with the monopod really helps in stabilizing your shots.

At the end of the day, using a monopod for support will keep your muscles from aching and your joints from screaming...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Dec 13, 2012 17:49 |  #9

I use a Clik Elite hand strap instead of a shoulder strap. Much more convenient for me than having something around the neck or shoulder.

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Austin, Texas
Dec 13, 2012 18:03 |  #10

I got mine on Etsy. It was maybe $25, but works fine. Mostly girly patterns.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

April
139 posts
Joined May 2006
Colorado
Dec 13, 2012 23:31 |  #11

I use both a hand strap and a sling strap--the sling really makes carrying my 7D with any lens attached (up to a 300mm f4) comfortable (sort of belt and suspenders, I suppose :)). I use the hand strap to lightly cradle the camera with my fingertips as I walk around. I don't know that it makes it steadier to hold while taking photos, however. I do think that I don't grip the camera as tightly while using it, thus helping with the type of hand fatigue that the OP mentioned. With my Optech sling I can unsnap the sling from the camera quickly when I want to use a monopod or tripod. Both the sling and the hand strap are attached to a RRS L-plate. Here's what it looks like...

IMAGE: http://www.travelinglightstudio.me/photos/i-srBJfJP/0/S/i-srBJfJP-S.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.travelingli​ghtstudio.me ...753591&k=srBJfJP&lb​=1&s=A] (external link)

and

IMAGE: http://www.travelinglightstudio.me/photos/i-sFNZm39/0/M/i-sFNZm39-M.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.travelingli​ghtstudio.me ...753605&k=sFNZm39&lb​=1&s=A] (external link)

The hand strap is a Hakuba for $13.50:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...68-REG/Hakuba_KGP_02.html (external link)

The sling strap is an OpTech Utility Strap Sling for $21.95:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ty_Strap_Sling_Blac​k.html (external link)

www.travelinglightstud​io.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Dec 13, 2012 23:51 |  #12

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

lucasmcd
335 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Melbourne Australia
Dec 14, 2012 00:07 as a reply to Scrumhalf's post |  #13

I can't seem to get comfortable with either a hand strap or neck/shoulder strap , I keep on swapping between the two :rolleyes:

Olympus OMD EM-5

12-50 , 25 F1.4 , 60 F2.8 Macro , 75 F1.8 , Tripod 3LT Brian , Lee Seven5 .

sponsored links

1,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the primary purpose for a hand strap?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.