Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 29 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 07:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New 70-200 f4 L IS, Slow focusing.

quadphoto
179 posts
Joined Feb 2005
south wales uk
Dec 29, 2012 07:01 |  #1

I have just had delivery of a new canon 70-200 f4 L IS, its tack sharp and the IS works very well, but i am finding the focusing very slow when compared to all my other USM lens, even my 100mm macro focuses from minimum focus to infinity in a split second, i think this new lens will have to go back to Canon? Has anyone else experienced slow focusing with this lens?

sponsored links
troutfisher
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
West Yorkshire UK
Dec 29, 2012 07:07 |  #2

Try playing with the distance switch,set at 1.2m to infinity mine is a bit slower than when set at 3m to infinity.

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Mushy ­ peas
48 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Melbourne
Dec 29, 2012 08:13 |  #3

My copy is fast as hell, indeed it spoiled me for my other L lenses. Might be worth having Canon have a look it or swapping it out with your retailer if you can.

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Dec 29, 2012 13:07 |  #4

The AF speed slows down at longer focal lengths since DOF is smaller you will see the DOF in the view finder just as fast. They do this to increase accuracy. It also have a longer though then say the 17-55mm or 85mm F1.8 so it appears slower from one extreme to another. But normal AF use they are quite similar. Try doing the test at 70mm and then 200mm. The AF motor slows down quite a bit.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

vrjosh
260 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Kansas
Dec 29, 2012 19:31 |  #5

Have you tried it outside? In good light the lens should focus extremely quick

bobble.smugmug.comexternal link

quadphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
179 posts
Joined Feb 2005
south wales uk
Dec 30, 2012 03:19 |  #6

Thank you for your replies, yes have tried it outside with my 1D Mk3 and 5D Mk2 and still sluggish and slow focusing, Amazon are now sending a replacement so hopefully i will get a better copy this time.

sponsored links

1,814 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 70-200 f4 L IS, Slow focusing.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.