Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 30 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Universal wireless remote for all cameras? | gorillapod worth the money?

the.forumer
411 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 30, 2012 22:02 |  #1

i was wondering if there's such a thing. i currently have a canon 5d2, together with the panasonic gh2 and olympus e-pl5. having looked through the options, it seems that most 3rd party remotes are brand specific.

is there a universal one so that i can declutter my bag and just bring one around?

---

the other query is about Joby's gorillapod. is it worth it to get their gorillapod? i find it very versatile (i bought the 3rd party version), but 2 quirks about it :

1. durability - the rubber rings come off after extended usage on my holiday trip, and the grip loses power over time - for instance, it sags when placed in certain angles, with my old 550d + 17-50mm lens.

2. price - pretty steep. for the same price, i could get a decent tripod too (although i already have one.. for comparison sake). any alternatives that i can explore?

i need one that can hold at least my 5d2 + 28-75mm f2.8.

suggestions welcome!

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 30, 2012 22:48 |  #2

the.forumer wrote in post #15425746 (external link)
i was wondering if there's such a thing. i currently have a canon 5d2, together with the panasonic gh2 and olympus e-pl5. having looked through the options, it seems that most 3rd party remotes are brand specific.

is there a universal one so that i can declutter my bag and just bring one around?

No. The closest thing to that is one of the old-style threaded cable releases (external link) popular with previous generations of cameras.

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 31, 2012 00:59 |  #3

thanks. i was referring to wireless remote options.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,939 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 31, 2012 11:28 |  #4

If you must get a gorillapod type, then you should take a look at the Gorillapod Focus version. There's a plenty of opinions out there, for example, in the Amazon product reviews. It has its use, and like anything else, with its limitations.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

AlexMcCranor
219 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 31, 2012 15:13 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #5

You could look at something like the YN triggers and get a different cable for each camera should be a cheap way to do it and just need to swap the cables around for each brand.

My Blog Alex McCranor Freelance Camera Operator & Editor (external link)
Creative Director at Workimage Commercial Business Video & Photography (external link)
Grimsby & Lincolnshire Wedding Video and Wedding Photography (external link)

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 01, 2013 05:00 as a reply to  @ AlexMcCranor's post |  #6

I use a Vello Freewave Plus. I got it over the non plus version as it used AAA batteries rather than more exotic batteries but like that it has a built in antenna. Just be sure to plug in the cables fully. When it was new they sometimes did not always go into the vello quite all the way. I no longer notice that tendancy.

Lonnie
Goldmember
1,606 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 01, 2013 23:53 |  #7

I don't like the Gorillapod. I have a larger one and find it is useless with my T3i. I use it with a flash now and then and it is ok for that. For stabilizing a camera I would rather have a small travel tripod, or if it needs to be really compact, one of those beanbag pods looks like it would work well.

My YouTube Vlog: https://www.youtube.co​m/c/GarageFlips (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 02, 2013 00:05 |  #8

The Vivitar is the closest thing I've seen to a truly universal remote trigger. It comes with 6 different connector cables for it's receiver.
http://www.amazon.com …ar+remote+shutt​er+release (external link)

As far as the gorillapod goes, I use the pro focus and have no issues with it.

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6151/6177029322_b965e071f6.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tltichy/6177029​322/  (external link)
The Rig (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6225/6390506813_91cb49021e.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tltichy/6390506​813/  (external link)
Gorilla Rebel (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

This was shot with a 5D2 and 17-40 on a Gorillapod Pro Focus/Ballhead X combo, looking down, clamped to a handrail. The whole rig was horizontal for this shot, rather than just aiming the head down......30 seconds at f/16
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

A Tree Life For Me (external link) by tltichy (external link), on Flickr

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 02, 2013 18:28 |  #9

Hi scatterbrained,

how long have you been using your gorillapod? I'm pretty concerned whether it loses gripping power over time, just like how it did with my 3rd party gorillapod.

also, does the vivitar support the mirrorless cameras like my panasonic GH2 or olympus e-pl5? they don't seem to mention that in the specs.

to all : with regards to the remote, i need a universal one that uses IR (and not via cable to the camera), because some of the cameras (like my olympus E-PL5) does not have such connections.

keep it coming guys!

frzndaqiri
284 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by frzndaqiri.

Jan 02, 2013 19:41 |  #10

I've had my Gorillapod SLR-Zoom w/ Ballhead for 2 years and it's still very grippy/firm. I'm impressed enough with the versatility that I may get the Focus (which didn't exist when I bought mine) for the extra strength/weight rating.

Canon EOS 7D | Sony α7 II / ILCE-7M2 | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70 F4 ZA OSS | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

94GTStang
233 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 02, 2013 23:01 |  #11

I took a Gorillapod SLR-Zoom to London and Paris and it did its job just fine. I do however wish I had taken my regular tripod, but on the other hand, it was nice throwing this in my camera for the whole day.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i109.photobucke​t.com …London-Paris/c8cc11e4.jpg (external link)

Canon S100 : Canon T2i : Sigma 17-50 2.8 : EF 70-200 f4 L : 50mm 1.8 : Sigma 10-20 : 40mm 2.8 : 430EXii

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 03, 2013 21:04 |  #12

hi guys,

thanks for the suggestions on the gorillapod. seems to be fairly durable so i'll most probably go for it.

now back to the universal remote - i need more suggestions - especially cable-free solutions for my E-PL5, GH2, 5D1, 5D2.

would there be one that utilizes the hotshoe as a trigger, rather than the av-out connection? in that way, wouldn't it be universal? or am i wrong?

thanks!

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 04, 2013 05:17 |  #13

The day my pocket camera toppled into my food lens-first due to being mounted on a stupid Gorillapod is the day I finally stopped using a Gorillapod. They are unstable, inadequate and unuseable in practice.

I suggest something like this.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img546/4130/13partminitripodf22811i.jpg

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img842/2255/33partminitripodf22811i.jpg

Or this.

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img691/7628/28990798.jpg

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 04, 2013 21:09 |  #14

i love tabletop tripods too, but the most they can hold are my mirrorless compacts - definitely not a 5d2 + zoom lens combo.

what's in the second picture? would be curious to see different usage scenarios for it.

94GTStang
233 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 04, 2013 23:14 |  #15

the.forumer wrote in post #15446225 (external link)
i love tabletop tripods too, but the most they can hold are my mirrorless compacts - definitely not a 5d2 + zoom lens combo.

what's in the second picture? would be curious to see different usage scenarios for it.

Here ya go

http://www.amazon.com …ries-Tripod/dp/B0049SVU8K (external link)

I think most of the gorillapod failures are just user error. I've had positive experiences with them in the past 5 years or so.

Canon S100 : Canon T2i : Sigma 17-50 2.8 : EF 70-200 f4 L : 50mm 1.8 : Sigma 10-20 : 40mm 2.8 : 430EXii

sponsored links

3,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Universal wireless remote for all cameras? | gorillapod worth the money?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.