Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 07 Jan 2013 (Monday) 13:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon's Powershot N is like a hardware Instagram

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 07, 2013 13:57 |  #1

http://www.nbcnews.com ...dware-instagram-1B7852549external link
(photos at the URL)

Canon has announced a unique and slightly strange camera called the Powershot N, which forgoes almost every normal camera control. Instead, it has just a zoom, a bunch of filters, and the ability to connect to your smartphone or the Internet.

The idea was almost certainly borne out of the fact that point-and-shoot cameras are being replaced at a prodigious rate by smartphones. People want simple operation and portability, but also connectivity. And the N takes what people like about smartphone cameras and expands it — although it is still a point-and-shoot at heart.

Operation is simple: There are only three buttons (power, image playback, and one to connect over WiFi), while zoom and shutter release are integrated into the lens. The tilting touchscreen lets you compose shots from many angles, and you can take a picture by nudging either the bottom or top of the lens ring.

With an 8x zoom and ordinary 2/3-inch sensor, the N has shooting capabilities beyond those of a smartphone's, and about on par with a point-and-shoot. But the picture-taking process is streamlined and takes its cues from Instagram and other apps.

Users can choose between normal and creative mode. In creative mode, when you take a picture, the N does all kinds of work in the backend, bracketing exposures, applying filters, even zooming and rotating the images to highlight faces. You can choose from a set of these and then upload the one you like best (or return to the original if none suits your fancy).

The Powershot N will be available in April for $300. That puts it in competition with some fairly capable high-end point-and-shoots, whose features it perhaps cannot match. But Canon clearly hopes that the interesting form factor and ease of connectivity will set it apart.

sponsored links
Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009
De Pere, WI
Jan 07, 2013 18:04 |  #2

This is so uninteresting... -_-zZ

Not sure what Canon is thinking with this one. People don't want to carry around a small point and shoot-like thing. People want to carry their phones.

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D7100 Gripped | 18-140G VR | 150-600 VC 'Tamzooka'

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Norway
Jan 07, 2013 18:21 |  #3

Kiwikat wrote in post #15458293external link
This is so uninteresting... -_-zZ

Not sure what Canon is thinking with this one. People don't want to carry around a small point and shoot-like thing. People want to carry their phones.

Agreed.

This is just Canon's desperate attempt to save what's left of their dying P&S market, just like Samsung tries to save it with their Android-based Galaxy camaera.. But mark my words, no matter what they do, the P&S market is going to die. The smartphones will take over completely.

But the death of the P&S makes me happy, because from now on, Canon (and the others) can focus more on the DSLR market, and mirrorless devolopment.

Its all good. :)

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Arkansas
Jan 07, 2013 22:35 |  #4

Working in a camera store has proved to me that there is actually a large market for this.
I think the marketing team on this nailed it to their target market.
To the professional photographer who's been in the game for a while, this camera seems ridiculous and gimmicky. To the newer generation, this camera is actually quite marketable.

Social media is a BIG deal to young people in the digital age. Nowadays if I have a photo taken of me, I am not surprised to have it show up on some social media platform within a few days. It's a feeling that is very unique to this generation of digital natives. And a camera designed to excel in this area?
I say its a great move in Canon's step for producing a mass-appeal-market camera. It's an excellent business step.

Also, being able to connect it to wifi/a smartphone?
ABSOLUTELY GENIUS for this market.

jaredholtphoto.comexternal link
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Jan 07, 2013 22:37 |  #5

It seems fun, I'd consider buying one just for kicks.

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

vaflower
855 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Massachusetts
Jan 07, 2013 22:40 |  #6

Most ordinary folks buy P&S. In their eyes, anyone with even the most basic Rebel is already a serious hobbyist.

Fuji XE-1, Zeiss ikon, Hasselblad; I love shooting film as a conceptual idea :)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
Jan 07, 2013 22:43 |  #7

Osiriz wrote in post #15458353external link

No, it isn't. DSLRs will be much more expensive because R&D costs will have to be covered by just those cameras rather than spreading the costs over the much larger Powershot market.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 07, 2013 23:06 |  #8

$300 for this thing???

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,717 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2003
Hamilton, New Zealand
Jan 08, 2013 02:41 |  #9

Osiriz wrote in post #15458353external link
Agreed.

This is just Canon's desperate attempt to save what's left of their dying P&S market, just like Samsung tries to save it with their Android-based Galaxy camaera.. But mark my words, no matter what they do, the P&S market is going to die. The smartphones will take over completely.

But the death of the P&S makes me happy, because from now on, Canon (and the others) can focus more on the DSLR market, and mirrorless devolopment.

I think you will find that P&S will still be around in some form. it's hard to know what the future holds. There are limitations to a camera phone. How many phones have a zoom range on them? Even the most famous camera phone of all time doesn't have that. Your stuck with the focal length that comes with the phone. P&S will develop to what you see here. Canon is testing the waters and I am sure if they could make it look like instragram they would. But there may be plenty of people seeing this camera and thinking that it's perfect for them. Who knows.

More products are good for the market. We want camera to keep making cameras that we like. If they become small then the price of dslr will go up.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jan 08, 2013 02:47 |  #10

What's the latest stats on pics going to social media? About a billion a month?

Yeah, I'd try to catch a chunk of that action by any means necessary.

I agree with the comment above about this appealing to the "Instagram" crowd. dSLR users are getting more serious about quality (lots of hobbyists with 5D3s) so why wouldn't the "snapshot" crowd care as well? Give 'em nearly a cellphone interface, instant upload but still be able to do a proper 8x10 and I think it's a winner.

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jan 08, 2013 03:00 |  #11

You know, fair point, but why'd they have to make it impossible to hold? I feel like you could still do a web-connected camera that has time-tested ergonomics. Why not a standard ELPH body with wifi and apps. Problem solved.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Jan 08, 2013 03:32 |  #12

Where is the flash?

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Jan 08, 2013 03:34 |  #13

Neilyb wrote in post #15460143external link
Where is the flash?

It's got an LED light like a phone! :lol:

(seriously)

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Jan 08, 2013 03:36 |  #14

If it's really instant on / shoot, then it's actually faster than my iPhone which needs to be unlocked, have the password entered, find the camera, hit the icon, tap to focus and then "click"

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Canon ­ Guy
98 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Jan 08, 2013 09:29 |  #15

If I'm going to be carrying around a second device for photography purposes, then it might as well be a "real" portable point and shoot like something from the xxxHS series or Sxxx series.

300 HS
S110
Rebel XSi: EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 f1.8 II, 430 EXII

sponsored links

3,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon's Powershot N is like a hardware Instagram
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.