Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

G1X vs Fuji pro X1

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Dec 30, 2012 14:27 |  #1

I know the lens difference and cost differences, but how does the imaging compare between these two? I'm thinking of finally giving up with the DSLR (IDMKIII) and going light.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

sponsored links
Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
Cumbria + Wigan
Dec 30, 2012 15:38 |  #2

Jannie wrote in post #15424214external link
I know the lens difference and cost differences, but how does the imaging compare between these two? I'm thinking of finally giving up with the DSLR (IDMKIII) and going light.

I looked at that selection early this year, just couldn,t justify the cost of spending £2000 + on the Fuji against £600 on the G1x.
Slighty better image quality and marginally quicker to focus on the Fuji. Almost 10 months on I think I would probably still have gone for the G1x.
Friend of mine has the Pro X1, doesn,t like the menu interface on it.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Dec 30, 2012 16:52 |  #3

Only one has fast primes and lets you build a system. That can be a pro or a con depending on what you are after.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Suffolk, UK
Dec 31, 2012 02:51 |  #4

There's no comparison really. The Fuji has a bigger sensor, better dynamic range, faster lenses, more flexible (there is a zoom lens in the range with more to come), better viewfinder and in terms of image quality (which is what you particular asked for) it's superb. I used one for a day and was amazed at how sharp the raw files were... better than my 7D and up there with the best APS-C cameras. The only area the G1-X wins is price but then it's not really a fair comparison.

The Fuji won't be as quick as your 1D and is no good for sports/wildlife but for everything else is a camera you could replace your DSLR with on equal terms, the G1-X is good for a compact but has it's limitations.

I found the X-pro1 a pleasure to use and enjoyed the freedom of being able to fit the camera and 3 lenses in a tiny (retro 5) shoulder bag that you didn't even know you were carrying... I'd also look at the XE-1, same sensor and processor but slightly smaller and cheaper or the Olympus OM-D.

Justin
websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | facebookexternal link | blogexternal link
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

vmaniqui
40 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Dec 31, 2012 02:53 |  #5

also wanted to get advise on these cameras.

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 12, 2013 00:06 |  #6

I have XE-1, the little brother of the Xpro-1 that shares virtually the same specs with the Xpro1 minus the OVF, less the size and plus a high resolution EVF.

Talking about Image quality, It is A LOT better than 7D and much better than 5DII at hi ISO, and of course it outclasses the GX1 without any question.

If you are looking for IQ, I would say fuji IS a top choice. If you are looking for best jpeg, fuji is also the choice. If you are looking for best SOOC color, again, go fuji. If you want choice of top quality lenses at super reasonable price, go fuji. The company road map suggested fuji will release at least 6 more lenses this year... and CZ will release 3 AF lenses for fuji X mount in April.

To add more excitment... Fuji just announced X100s...

If you have read the release of the X100s, you should have already known fuji implements a whole new super fast (hybrid) AF system, a totally innovative MF system (the world's first digital split screen), new X trans sensor, processor, best EVF etc to the new camera. This new release gives a good ideas of the direction the next X-pro/ X-E model will evolve.

BUT ...If you shoot RAW, you have to be patient. The only real weakness fuji system currently face is the lack of good raw support. But solution should be here soon.

Differnet people has different needs. If I have to choosie from GX1 and Xpro 1 , I will take fuji. If I need a good P&S, I would seriously consider Fuji X20.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
Cumbria + Wigan
Jan 13, 2013 06:29 |  #7

nonick wrote in post #15477764external link
To add more excitment... Fuji just announced X100s...

If you have read the release of the X100s, you should have already known fuji implements a whole new super fast (hybrid) AF system, a totally innovative MF system (the world's first digital split screen), new X trans sensor, processor, best EVF etc to the new camera. This new release gives a good ideas of the direction the next X-pro/ X-E model will evolve.

BUT ...If you shoot RAW, you have to be patient. The only real weakness fuji system currently face is the lack of good raw support. But solution should be here soon.

Differnet people has different needs. If I have to choosie from GX1 and Xpro 1 , I will take fuji. If I need a good P&S, I would seriously consider Fuji X20.

Can,t understand Fuji,s design philosphy here the X100s a fixed lens at 23mm is predominately a landscape lens so why have something very fast focussing on a semi static scenario.
I would have thought they would announce fast focus designs at the longer end of 100mm + where the action is and better suited.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ 'ǝuɹnoqlǝɯ
Jan 13, 2013 07:14 |  #8

Talking about Image quality, It is A LOT better than 7D and much better than 5DII at hi ISO, ...

I wish I believe you or you're right; but my gut tell me above statement just well over the top.

Anyway I'm waiting FF 'P&S' from Sony.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring external link

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011
GVRD
Jan 13, 2013 11:49 |  #9

It's not over the top if you consider the high ISO noise the 7d exhibits. The Fuji far and away produces cleaner images with more dynamic range. Nothing is perfect though and the transition to mirrorless from any rebel or better dslr can be somewhat difficult. Focusing can be tricky...

I switched from a 60d kit and love the images I get from the x-e1 but being so used to be able to focus and snap with the dslr I now have to think more when using the x. And if your wife likes to use the cam as well, she may hate you for changing. My wife HATES this cam! Again the whole learning curve thing.

Love the form factor most and the lens selection is getting interesting. The kit zoom is fantastic and is not comparable to canon equivalent kit lenses. Very sharp corner to corner with excellent colour.

As well not much of a studio cam I don't think but maybe others can help you there.

Good luck.

Matt
flickrexternal link

reprazent
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Jan 13, 2013 12:51 |  #10

The X-trans sensor is probably the best crop sensor on the market and delivers fantastic IQ,
but surely cannot beat a 5D2 (not even the classic)... Some people really are blinded by their purchase.

gearlist | flickrexternal link

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Suffolk, UK
Jan 13, 2013 13:36 |  #11

Talking about Image quality, It is A LOT better than 7D and much better than 5DII at hi ISO, and of course it outclasses the GX1 without any question.

Just to balance things up slightly, the G1-X beats the Fuji hands down at anything over 60mm ;)

Justin
websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | facebookexternal link | blogexternal link
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
Cumbria + Wigan
Jan 13, 2013 14:32 |  #12

binliner wrote in post #15483064external link
Just to balance things up slightly, the G1-X beats the Fuji hands down at anything over 60mm ;)

Also the G1x beats the Fuji hands down on viewing height range, the Fuji only works from about 1 foot to 6 foot, the G1x can get shots from ground zero to about 9 feet in height. The G1x gets where other cameras can,t reach.

ifi
173 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Texas
Jan 13, 2013 19:29 |  #13

vmaniqui wrote in post #15426388external link
also wanted to get advise on these cameras.

me too

:)

Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Jan 13, 2013 21:06 |  #14

Image quality: a very subjective topic. There are certainly technical aspects that can be measured but it's not possible to measure someone's individual tastes in what they do and don't like from one camera to the next. For example, test results tell me that the 16MP Sony NEX cameras should easily have better image quality than the G1X and yet, I preferred the look from the Canon over that from the NEX 5N. I can see where the two cameras are different, but the bigger numbers from the Sony don't translate into a preferrable image output...for me.

I've been interested in the X-E1 since it was announced and have looked through many, many images from it and the X-Pro1 and while I like very much what I see I am not smitten enough at it's price point to jump. I definitely don't need another camera and I don't have a camera that I want to give up in it's place, so for now I remain on the sidelines as far as Fuji is concerned.

Nic - flickr photostreamexternal link
G1X (last Canon standing)

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 13, 2013 22:00 |  #15

Judder Man wrote in post #15481876external link
Can,t understand Fuji,s design philosphy here the X100s a fixed lens at 23mm is predominately a landscape lens so why have something very fast focussing on a semi static scenario.
I would have thought they would announce fast focus designs at the longer end of 100mm + where the action is and better suited.

It's a range finder style camera... 23mmx1.5 = 34.5mm, good for walk around, street and environmental portrait, bokeh. Nothing is confusing to me...

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links

7,546 views & 0 likes for this thread
G1X vs Fuji pro X1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.