Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 30 Dec 2012 (Sunday) 14:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

G1X vs Fuji pro X1

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 13, 2013 22:07 |  #16

reprazent wrote in post #15482905external link
The X-trans sensor is probably the best crop sensor on the market and delivers fantastic IQ,
but surely cannot beat a 5D2 (not even the classic)... Some people really are blinded by their purchase.

I had 5D, 5DII and different XXD and rebel models. The fuji IQ is better than all of them. 5DII 6400 is honestly not very good compare to the fuji 6400. You have to have the fuji and shoot with it before you know how good it is. I owned and used the cameras and I know their pros and cons. I dont blinded by my purchase ( the 5D, 5DII 7D and Fuji are all my beloved cameras and I own or owned them all) while most people just simply blindly believe 5DII produces better IQ or cleaner hi ISO simply because it is FF.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links
nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 13, 2013 22:08 |  #17

binliner wrote in post #15483064external link
Just to balance things up slightly, the G1-X beats the Fuji hands down at anything over 60mm ;)

:D But it will change soon as the fuji mid tele zoom will be release very soon.

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 13, 2013 22:28 |  #18

x_tan wrote in post #15481951external link
I wish I believe you or you're right; but my gut tell me above statement just well over the top.

Anyway I'm waiting FF 'P&S' from Sony.

If you have chance to use the fuji Xpro1 or Xe1, you will know the statement is not over the top. 7D sensor is getting noisy above 1600 in low light, although the noise pattern is easy to deal with comparing to the 5DII's which is ugly and unforgiving (to me).

In term of sharpness, DR, and SOOC jpeg color, 7D and 5DII are no match. Again use (not test) the camera and you will see how good it is.

Technology is evolving fast. The OMD, which I also owned, has an u4/3 sensor, provides better IQ comparing to the 7D. And dont forget the sensor on the FUji is not a small sensor ( it has 1.5X crop factor) although the camera size is smaller. It's not a surprise to me that brand the new fuji's Xtrans sensor can outperform the old FF sensor on a 5 year old camera.

By the way, I think Sony's FF P&S is out already, with a ticket price over $3000 tho.

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 13, 2013 22:41 |  #19

sticknpuck wrote in post #15482699external link
It's not over the top if you consider the high ISO noise the 7d exhibits. The Fuji far and away produces cleaner images with more dynamic range. Nothing is perfect though and the transition to mirrorless from any rebel or better dslr can be somewhat difficult. Focusing can be tricky...

I switched from a 60d kit and love the images I get from the x-e1 but being so used to be able to focus and snap with the dslr I now have to think more when using the x. And if your wife likes to use the cam as well, she may hate you for changing. My wife HATES this cam! Again the whole learning curve thing.

Love the form factor most and the lens selection is getting interesting. The kit zoom is fantastic and is not comparable to canon equivalent kit lenses. Very sharp corner to corner with excellent colour.

As well not much of a studio cam I don't think but maybe others can help you there.

Good luck.

Agree.. the zoom kit lens from Fuji, a $700 glass, is super great. Image from this lens is super sharp ( of course the lack of AA filter helps). I dont miss the L lens at all. Color? Simply stunning.

talking about the focus, I have no problem with the focus. in low light the kit lens is still fast and locks accurately. Sure it behaves much more reliable than the 5DII's outer AF points. All the 49 AF points on FUji are accurate. Once it locks, it locks, no miss focus issue (like the 7D). In day time with good light, it can achieve the combo focus as fast as the DSLR.

It's still cannot do tracking well and it cannot beat the model AF for it's speed in low light. But the new X100s seems a promising solution. The AF system is more advanced and should be among the fastest. It gives a good idea of the direction the system is moving to. It's very encouraging overall.

Canon is totally lacking behind in the mirrorless battle. Hope the M2 will be more encouraging.

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Suffolk, UK
Jan 14, 2013 04:02 |  #20

nonick wrote in post #15485068external link
:D But it will change soon as the fuji mid tele zoom will be release very soon.

Indeed... I have a 7D and 5Dmk2 and have spent a day using the X-pro1 and don't disagree with a lot of what you say, I didn't try the Fuji at high ISO but it's a joy to use and the IQ is nothing short of amazing.

The difference though and downside with the fuji is that while it is capable of producing superb images it isn't an all rounder, there will be a lot of occasions when the flexibility of a DSLR like the 7D will get shots that the Fuji will miss.

We are digressing though as this thread is not about comparing CSCs to DSLRs!

Justin
websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | facebookexternal link | blogexternal link
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 14, 2013 07:54 |  #21

binliner wrote in post #15485872external link
The difference though and downside with the fuji is that while it is capable of producing superb images it isn't an all rounder, there will be a lot of occasions when the flexibility of a DSLR like the 7D will get shots that the Fuji will miss.

Thanks for reminding that this thread is not about comparing DSLR and the Fuji-X- or CSC. I didn't mean to.

And I agree with you the Fuji is not all arounder especially for shooting speed. Totally Agree!! I keep a 60D, 35L and 70-200L MkII for fast actions and short/mid/tele. With the L's, the AF of 60D is nothing short of satisfying. It locks INSTANT ( not only quick) and ALL outer AF points are ACCURATE (better than 7D and sure eat the 5D/5DII). But if one falls back to the old technique, zone focus , you should be able to get many good action shots with the FUji while still miss many (lol).

Given the OP had extensive experience in Canon DSLR, DSLR's IQ, DR, Hi ISO, etc are used as reference points for the two cameras in question so the OP will understand (easier) how good or bad the Fuji-X- is(in my opinion) comparing to the DSLR in those fronts. Of course, someone who own and have long experience with the G1X can also compared it to DSLR in those areas and share their opinons.

And dont forget OP is considerings swtiching from DSLR to one of these two cameras. So comparing the fuji and CSC to DSLR is quite relevant as the intention is to help the OP to see the options.

I do not mean to offense any one who own G1X or who dont like Xpro1. G1X's IQ is very good as a point and shoot with large sensor. It is a very very nice addition to the G-series. A good casual companion for the DSLR. It goes everywhere and produce IQ comparable to 7D. But I wont drop the DSLR for the G1X. It is just too limited.

The Fuji to me is just a different class, it is a system (with some very decent pro glasses), it is as light and portable, and it is superior to the G altough it still cannot replace the DSLR totally. But if action is not your main focus, you are looking at the right camera.

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
Cumbria + Wigan
Jan 14, 2013 13:31 |  #22

nonick wrote in post #15485022external link
It's a range finder style camera... 23mmx1.5 = 34.5mm, good for walk around, street and environmental portrait, bokeh. Nothing is confusing to me...

I do lots of street photoghraphy 34.5mm does not allow me to isolate subjects, it only allows you to do peoplescapes. Similarly with portraits 34.5 mm is less flattering, you really need 70mm to get the best from your subjects.
The best walk around lens range is usually a 24-105, the G1x is very close to that range.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NYC
Jan 14, 2013 16:25 |  #23

Judder Man wrote in post #15487588external link
I do lots of street photoghraphy 34.5mm does not allow me to isolate subjects, it only allows you to do peoplescapes. Similarly with portraits 34.5 mm is less flattering, you really need 70mm to get the best from your subjects.
The best walk around lens range is usually a 24-105, the G1x is very close to that range.

Agree with you! That's about personal preference and style I guess. Some people prefer 135mm for street candid. Some people do 50mm for street/walk around because they are so used to the "normal" focal length from the film days. And some people want wider to include more of the environment so they go for 35mm. Of course some of us like to have a zoom... The point is what you need is what you need. There is no right or wrong answer.

I don't like 70mm for street or walk around personally. The focal length is good for portrait tho. Fixed lenses 35mm or 50mm let me slow down and think more about the composition. Sometimes, things get more interesting with prime lens. Also 35mm is a general lens and it's good for more than street pictures. With the fast apreture, the lens provides more possibilities than slower zooms in some situations.

Agian, it's pretty obvious there is no right or wrong answer. Options are always good. That is why we have different lenses. But for sure 35mm is not an unfamiliar or confusing focal length for a range finder style camera. Of course 35mm is not the only option and is not for everybody.

Rich ­ Road
184 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Los Angeles
Jan 14, 2013 19:12 |  #24

Jannie wrote in post #15424214external link
I know the lens difference and cost differences, but how does the imaging compare between these two? I'm thinking of finally giving up with the DSLR (IDMKIII) and going light.

Have you thought about the Sony RX1? It seems to be a more direct rival of the Fuji X-Pro1, and their prices are more comparable.

Jannie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jan 18, 2013 00:34 |  #25

The Sony RX1 looks amazing, but it's a fixed lens which of course helps mate the lens to the sensor but I'm tired of wide angle. I could deal with a 50mm lens equivalent on this or an 85mm (I have often gone out street shooting with an 85 1.2 a lot) I really prefer getting away from the wide thing. I shoot with an iPhone all the time and that might be part of it, but I admit it has forced me to get a whole lot closer but at the same time I really love Bokeh and I'm not going to get that with the Sony, still, it's a very impressive looking camera.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Judder ­ Man
Joined Oct 2007
Cumbria + Wigan
Jan 18, 2013 03:15 |  #26

I think that's the problem with the top end Sony and Fuji cameras in that the highest quality is coming from a fixed lens as you say to get the optimum from the sensor.
Street shooting with the G1x is one of its strengths, I find I,m shooting out at 70 to 100mm, for peoplescapes and the architectural environment its 28 to 50.
The downside is being a slowish lens you obviously won,t get that bokeh you prefer.
The Sony RX1 with an equivalent 24-70 would be an ideal compromise, don,t know if this would happen and importantly at what price.

Canon 5D mk3, 50mm 1.4, 17-40L, 70-200L, 100-400L, Canon 100L macro, Canon 2 x G1X, Speedliite 430 EX all supported by Gitzo and Benro.
Web sites: www.georgehopkinsphoto​graphy.com (external link)

An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Suffolk, UK
Jan 18, 2013 06:50 |  #27

The original question was about the X-pro1 which has a growing collection of very good interchangeable lenses

Justin
websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | facebookexternal link | blogexternal link
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

sponsored links

7,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
G1X vs Fuji pro X1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.