Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 13 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Upgrading to the 6D?

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 13, 2013 21:04 |  #1

I've been hit with what I think is gear lust. I'm basically looking for people to either say "go for it" or to say "you're crazy, look at *this* instead."

I currently shoot with:

• Rebel XS
  • Kit lens
  • Sigma 10-20
  • EF 50 f/1.8
  • EF 70-200 f/4

I almost exclusively shoot at 10mm and 200mm, basically at the extremes of the focal lengths I have. I like doing landscapes, sunsets, night shots (milky way, stars, star trails), time-lapses and touristy pictures. I want to say I like to do wilflife too, but its mainly birds at the birdfeeder and whatever animals I see on vacation. Inevitabilty, my camera gets the most use on vacations; we go to a lot of national parks. I'll have time for quick landscapes and whatever animals are near the trails. I don't do much sports or action, most of my subjects are reasonably static. I frequently am unable to get an acceptable exposure and wish I could push the ISO higher, as I max out at 1600.

What I am looking for in a new camera body:

• higher ISO's
  • video
  • more useful liveview
  • larger buffer (XS is only 5 RAW's)
  • more FPS (currently 1.5 FPS in RAW)
  • higher quality RAW files

I've been looking at the 6D. Its been getting good reviews for the image quality, ISO's and such. Pretty much anything is going to give me a bigger buffer and more FPS. I don't know if I'd use the video or not, but I think it would be fun to play with. Also the GPS and Wifi look like loads of fun. I'm a techie and I really want to start geo-tagging my pictures and using the EOS Remote app. I'm also just looking for some of the new bells and whistles and improvements that come with the newer bodies as I'm currently ~2.5ish generations behind now. With my XS I know exactly what I can and cannot photograph well, and I often don't even bother taking a picture of something because I know it won't turn out.

So I'm thinking about selling the XS kit and the Sigma 10-20, getting the 6D body and the 17-40L. Does that sound like it would fit my needs or should I be looking at a different body?

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jan 13, 2013 21:07 |  #2

The one thing that really makes me glad I upgraded to the 6D is the high ISO capability. It's so nice to be able to grab the camera anytime and just shoot, without worrying about noise. When you can get very nice images at 6400 ISO, your whole perspective on what to shoot changes.

Mark J.
Gear

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 13, 2013 21:09 |  #3

M_Six wrote in post #15484835external link
The one thing that really makes me glad I upgraded to the 6D is the high ISO capability. It's so nice to be able to grab the camera anytime and just shoot, without worrying about noise. When you can get very nice images at 6400 ISO, your whole perspective on what to shoot changes.

I kinda think my whole perspective would change if I could even shoot at 6400. I used a 5D2 for a week last year and was amazed.

Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,603 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jan 13, 2013 21:13 |  #4

I set my SS and aperture manually and leave the ISO set to auto. It usually picks a good ISO setting and and anything at or below 6400 is very usable. This was ISO 4000 and I used just the tiniest bit of NR.

IMAGE: http://bimmermail.com/kitties/wally16-sm.jpg

Mark J.
Gear

mesakid
363 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jan 13, 2013 21:34 |  #5

It looks like the 6D will be a good upgrade choice for your needs.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A7RII | A6300 | RX10II | RX100IV | BATIS 85 | ZEISS 55 | SONY 35 | SONY 70-300 | SONY 70-200 F4 | ZEISS 16-70

Tadaaa
926 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Jan 13, 2013 21:36 |  #6

Go for it.

- 1D & G9 & Sigma DP1 & Nikon D800 -

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Deptford, NJ
Jan 13, 2013 21:43 |  #7

It sounds like you know what you want, you're right, the 6D sounds like it would suit you well, give you much more versatility with your photography as well as a bunch of fun bells and whistles to play with.

If you can afford it, why not? I'd certainly have one if I had the money.

Canon 7D | EF-S 18-135 | EF-S 55-250
Panasonic GF1 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

Flickr (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 13, 2013 21:47 |  #8

ejackso1 wrote in post #15484954external link
It sounds like you know what you want, you're right, the 6D sounds like it would suit you well, give you much more versatility with your photography as well as a bunch of fun bells and whistles to play with.

If you can afford it, why not? I'd certainly have one if I had the money.

I can afford it, I'm just uncertain if I want to drop that cash on it. I'm 21.

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Deptford, NJ
Jan 13, 2013 21:56 |  #9

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #15484971external link
I can afford it, I'm just uncertain if I want to drop that cash on it. I'm 21.

The 6D is a lotttt of money for people our age. I'm 22, so I'm with you.

I'd say if you feel opposed to spending so much, settling for a newer / higher end crop sensor body would make sense for you. The main things you listed that you're looking for in a new camera don't really have anything to do with going full frame. ISO 6400 on my 60D is pretty usable in my opinion, and obviously it takes better RAW files and will have a larger buffer than your XS. Plus you could keep your 10-20. The XS will probably sell for around $150 body only, and a 60D body can be had for what? $650 on the POTN B/S/T lately?

Flickr (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 13, 2013 21:59 |  #10

ejackso1 wrote in post #15485004external link
The 6D is a lotttt of money for people our age. I'm 22, so I'm with you.

I'd say if you feel opposed to spending so much, settling for a newer / higher end crop sensor body would make sense for you. The main things you listed that you're looking for in a new camera don't really have anything to do with going full frame. ISO 6400 on my 60D is pretty usable in my opinion, and obviously it takes better RAW files and will have a larger buffer than your XS. Plus you could keep your 10-20. The XS will probably sell for around $150 body only, and a 60D body can be had for what? $650 on the POTN B/S/T lately?

Well I'm getting enough back via tax return to buy it and I've got a buyer for the XS kit lined up for $250. I'm seriously looking at the 60D too, but I bought the XS at the end of its production run and I feel the 60D is approaching that point too.

ejackso1
164 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Deptford, NJ
Jan 13, 2013 22:05 |  #11

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #15485017external link
Well I'm getting enough back via tax return to buy it and I've got a buyer for the XS kit lined up for $250. I'm seriously looking at the 60D too, but I bought the XS at the end of its production run and I feel the 60D is approaching that point too.

I don't see that as a bad thing, I mean look at how long the XS has lasted you.

If you feel opposed to it though, you can always wait a bit and see what Canon has coming. I believe I've been seeing rumors of a 70D. If that is indeed what Canon has in the works, I'm guessing it'll have even better ISO performance than the 60D, and maybe on par with the 6D? I'm just guessing though.

Flickr (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Hong Kong
Jan 13, 2013 22:17 |  #12

You would get everything you want in your list from a 60D without having to change lenses. However, the 6D is much better in low light. You might find yourself wanting better AF eventually though (60D has better outer points so if AF is important, the 60D would last you longer in that respect). Basically the choice boils down to:
Cheaper
Older tech
Better AF
Keep lens

vs

More expensive
Newer
Better ISO
New lens

-Tom
Flickr
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

imsellingmyfoot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Jan 13, 2013 22:59 |  #13

Sirrith wrote in post #15485112external link
You would get everything you want in your list from a 60D without having to change lenses. However, the 6D is much better in low light. You might find yourself wanting better AF eventually though (60D has better outer points so if AF is important, the 60D would last you longer in that respect). Basically the choice boils down to:
Cheaper
Older tech
Better AF
Keep lens

vs

More expensive
Newer
Better ISO
New lens

I've thought about the AF, and I'd basically be staying stagnant. I shoot only centerpoint now and I'd probably shoot only centerpoint with a 6D. I don't track subjects ever so its not much of a concern for me.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,182 posts
Joined Mar 2008
California
Jan 13, 2013 23:12 |  #14

my .02

don't sell your XS. for the money it isn't worth giving up a x1.6 crop factor. I wish i didn't sell my XTi sometimes. It is not going to gain enough money to make it worth selling and having a second body for JIC situations you don't want to drag a $2k body or you need that tid bit of extra reach you might find it beneficial to have that XS around. I steal my BIL XS body for those reasons. I can replace a XS financially 10x faster than i could a 6D.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011
Sydney, Australia
Jan 13, 2013 23:15 |  #15
banned

imsellingmyfoot wrote in post #15485266external link
I've thought about the AF, and I'd basically be staying stagnant. I shoot only centerpoint now and I'd probably shoot only centerpoint with a 6D. I don't track subjects ever so its not much of a concern for me.

You really don't know what you are missing out until you use a camera which has capable and reliable outer points ;)

It's not just about tracking subjects, it's more of the ability to place your subjects 'off centre' that matters.

6D is really lacking behind in AF, it's worst than a 60D or 7D.

Looking at your lineup, you are really not that deep into Canon world. I would personally sell everything and go D600.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickrexternal link | My Images on Getty®‎external link

sponsored links

4,648 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrading to the 6D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.