Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 17 Jan 2013 (Thursday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shoulder rig or Flycam Nano??

mikealicious
189 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 17, 2013 12:44 |  #1

My girlfriend's best friend is getting married, and my gf is maid of honor. Amongst helping with all the wedding planning and stuff, my gf is also taking the bride to be's engagement photos (I'm taking/editing the pictures, my gf is instructing all of the poses and what not), for free. The bride is working with a tight budget for everything (only has $1500 to spend on a wedding photog). I had posted a picture of my camera with the newly loaded Magic Lantern on Facebook, explaining that it unlocked a bunch of video features, etc. She apparently didn't know my camera also did video, said she "just might have to hire me to film her wedding." Since I don't shoot a ton of video, let alone ever doing a wedding, I told her that's a huge responsiblity. That I wouldn't mind filming, but I definitely wouldn't want to be the main videographer due to I wouldn't know how to begin shooting/editing a wedding. She ensures me not to worry, and that she wasn't going to hire one to begin with.

Here's my predicament. She's my gf's best friend, so I want to help her out as much as I can. However, I'm already shooting and editing her engagement photos at no charge, and I think that shooting a wedding would be a TON more work. What's the going rate for a videographer anyways? Don't they start around $2,000 and go up? I want to help her out as much as possible, but also don't want to have my time taken advantage of without being compensated somehow.

Instead of asking her for money, I was going to see if she'd rather just purchase some sort of filming rig for me, so I can shoot smoother video at her wedding. I've been looking at the Flycam Nano for quite some time now. I'd like to shoot my buddy's mountain biking (able to chase them with the flycam), take video's at BBQ's and car meets, etc.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​3f20a54750 (external link)

I also saw another member post this shoulder rig. I think a shoulder rig like this would probably be better for the wedding, as it wouldn't require a ton of forearm strength to hold it all day. I like the idea of the weights too (assuming it'd balance the camera and provide a smoother video). I do have the RODE VideoMic as well as a 126 LED video light that I'd need to mount (well at least the light for indoor/night shooting), so I'd need to figure that out.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​565155f12d (external link)

Also, how effective is the follow focus? I see a lot of other rigs with them, and it seems like it'd be a lot easier to focus with something like that. I don't want to have a huge budget setup, just something that will work for the wedding, and hopefully something I can use for other filming as well.

Help me out! I'm taking her engagement photos on saturday, and would like to message her before then. Thank you.

5D Mark II | 24-105 f/4 L | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/2 | Speedlite 580exII

sponsored links
squiLL
667 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 17, 2013 12:55 |  #2

Depends what look you are going for.

The shoulder rig is more for steady stabilization, while the steadicam rigs are meant for flowing shots while maintaining a human dolly experience.

IMO, never skimp out on shoulder/steadicam gear. If you buy the right models, they will last you for years and years. If you buy 3rd party, or buy cheap knockoffs, expect it to last through 1-2 shoots.

Best for low budget moving camera stabilization: http://www.tiffen.com/​steadicam_merlin2.html (external link)

Best for shoulder rigs: http://www.genustech.t​v …-kits/shoulder-mount-kits (external link)

Mike Cassara
Marketing Manager - Tiffen Filters

Tiffen.com (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 17, 2013 13:25 |  #3

I hardly ever see some one using camera stabilizer for wedding coverage.
I say go with a wide angle lens, practice with your light (Hopefully you already have good LED), battery, memory, external sound recording, then most importantely your post processing technique to render. I would run a mook video trial, not necessarily of a wedding but of similar time duration event to know what can go wrong and there are plenty.
Best of luck.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 17, 2013 13:42 |  #4

I say get yourself a great monopod like the Manfrotto 561B HDV-1.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …37980&is=REG&Q=​&A=details (external link)

Very useful stablization, easy on your body, can be used to raise above your head or down low. Some great videos have been shot using this with a DSLR.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

s.l.k
143 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 17, 2013 14:01 |  #5

ChasWG wrote in post #15501046 (external link)

Very useful stablization, easy on your body, can be used to raise above your head or down low. Some great videos have been shot using this with a DSLR.

Came here to say this. If not the 561BHDV, get a monopod with a decent head on it. So much more useful in a wedding, especially if it's a one man band, you're going to have to move around a lot, and monopod can get into places steadycams and rigs can't.

Do you plan on doing this kind of work in the future? Because it is a lot of work, and even if you're doing it for free, it can become reel material for you to sell to other potential clients. It's hard to persuade a couple pay up a ton of money if you don't show anything to justify the cost.

Feedback

mikealicious
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 17, 2013 14:08 |  #6

squiLL wrote in post #15500854 (external link)
Best for low budget moving camera stabilization: http://www.tiffen.com/​steadicam_merlin2.html (external link)

Best for shoulder rigs: http://www.genustech.t​v …-kits/shoulder-mount-kits (external link)

Both of those kits are really nice, but definitely outside my budget (and most likely hers too). This will probably be the only wedding I'd shoot. I don't have a huge interest in shooting/editing weddings. Just seems like too much stress. I enjoy car meets and the mountain bike stuff more. Maybe the occasional day at the shooting range doing tactical type shooting where I can chase the shooter.

samsen wrote in post #15500969 (external link)
I hardly ever see some one using camera stabilizer for wedding coverage.
I say go with a wide angle lens, practice with your light (Hopefully you already have good LED), battery, memory, external sound recording, then most importantely your post processing technique to render. I would run a mook video trial, not necessarily of a wedding but of similar time duration event to know what can go wrong and there are plenty.
Best of luck.

Out of the lenses listed in my sig, what would you recommend? I was thinking the 35mm would probably be the one.

That's an option I didn't think of before. I was more concerned about how "shaky" the video would be if I didn't have something to stabalize it. But I guess I could always just shoot static shots. Get a shot of everyone coming down the isle, and then stand at the opposite end of the isle, while the ceremony goes on.

QUOTE=s.l.k;15501126]C​ame here to say this. If not the 561BHDV, get a monopod with a decent head on it. So much more useful in a wedding, especially if it's a one man band, you're going to have to move around a lot, and monopod can get into places steadycams and rigs can't.

Do you plan on doing this kind of work in the future? Because it is a lot of work, and even if you're doing it for free, it can become reel material for you to sell to other potential clients. It's hard to persuade a couple pay up a ton of money if you don't show anything to justify the cost.

I most definitely do not plan on doing weddings in the future. This will most likely be a one time gig.

5D Mark II | 24-105 f/4 L | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/2 | Speedlite 580exII

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 17, 2013 15:11 |  #7

No, that mono pod has a very cool feature. The bottom foot thingie has a bearing piviot point, so pans are easily done.

I worked with a company called StillMotion on a ShowTime/CBS Sports documentary called "A Game of Honor." It was shot mostly on 1D MkIVs and they all used the same monopod I posted above. Super cool shots and footy. The monopod was very fast and effective. The head has a tilt function as well, so it is very functional. And for the money, a great investment if you continue on doing this kind of thing.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

akivisuals
67 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 19, 2013 22:52 |  #8

+1,000,000

The 561 BHDV-1 is the absolute best stabilizing tool for shooting wedding video that exists IMHO. I shoot weddings and this monopod is what I use 80% of the time. I have nice tripods with fluid heads, a few really nice sliders, Steadicam, Glidecam, shoulder rigs, run and gun rigs, BUT I could easily get by with just having this little monopod. You can mimic jib moves with it, you can mimic slider moves and it can be very very stable for static shots with smooth pans and tilts. Even if you don't shoot weddings this is still a great little tool. I have a friend with a small production company that shoots web programming on motorcycle riding and he lives on this monopod.

That said, my 2nd purchase would be a decent slider. That's just me though and what I like to see in a film. There are plenty of fairly priced sliders out there like the Varavon or Konova. Depending on your budget, I'd look there after getting that 561. If you have the budget, Cinevate makes a real nice one in the Atlas FLT.

I have had the Merlin (which I didn't like and later sold) and now have the Glidecam HD-2000. The Merlin is more difficult to balance well and you have only a little half to 3/4 inch disc to pinch for stabilizing the Merlin while moving. It takes a great deal more practice to get really proficient with the Merlin. The Glidecam however is easier to balance and when you get it dialed in, it's money. Both take practice and care to get really smooth shots but the Glidecam's learning curve isn't quite as steep IMHO. There are also some decent Chinese knockoffs of the HD-2000 if you're on a tight budget.

Check out Cheesycam.com. Emm has a lot of great advice for filmmakers on a tight budget. He does some good honest reviews on stuff as well. Good luck!

Canon 5D3 | 5D2 | 15 fish | 35L | 50L | 50 macro | 85L | 100L macro | 135L | 17-40L | 24-70L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 1.4x | 3x 580EX | 550EX | 2x 540EZ

stacieswanson
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 18, 2014 00:22 |  #9

"http://www.ebay.com …ain_0&hash=item​565155f12d (external link)

Also, how effective is the follow focus? I see a lot of other rigs with them, and it seems like it'd be a lot easier to focus with something like that. I don't want to have a huge budget setup, just something that will work for the wedding, and hopefully something I can use for other filming as well.

Help me out! I'm taking her engagement photos on saturday, and would like to message her before then. Thank you.[/QUOTE]"

Hello mikealicious, recently i bought shoulder steady rig with matte box . This shoulder rig has fulfilled my expectations. Its quality is well built and price is also less. I am happy with my purchase.

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 18, 2014 02:07 as a reply to  @ stacieswanson's post |  #10

While I would go with a higher-quality monopod/head, this guy has some REALLY cool ideas for greatly increasing the versatility of a monopod and make it run triple duty as a monopod/shoulder rig/(sort-of)crane:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=EzelLm4STCk (external link)

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 18, 2014 08:28 |  #11

The most important accessories for my DSLR video are a LCD viewfinder and a tripod. It is radically easier to focus with a viewfinder, and its far more important than a follow focus. You will absolutley need the tripod to film the actual ceremony, keep the camera still and close to the BG, and get reasonably good audio from your shotgun mic. After that, a video monopod is a good idea and better than a shoulder mount. You should find out before the wedding day what the church's rules on where you can put your video camera to determine your lens choices.

Using a steadicam for the first time on an event like this is asking for trouble, prevents you from using your any zoom, and you will need to re stabilize every time you change the lens.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links

4,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shoulder rig or Flycam Nano??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.